Freaking out over carb intake

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Goodcooker

Freaking out over carb intake

Post by Goodcooker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am

Breakfast is usually a bowl of oatmeal = CARBS!

Lunch is usually a Lean cuisine or healthy choice meal = CARBS!

Dinner is usually Meat and veggies. = Not so many Carbs but still some!

After two years of carb counting I am having visions of just blowing up eating like this. This way of eating just seems "too good to be true" I adore oatmeal and have been eating it just about every morning since starting No S. As I said in a previous post I have gained two pounds. I am so afraid of gaining even more eating like this. Iknow I have wired my brain into thinking like this because of restricting carbs so much but....I am actually dreading getting on the scales Monday. I am only three weeks into this so bear with me. I know my body needs to adjust. A little scared though.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am

If the thought of weighing is causing you anxiety then perhaps don't? It's not mandatory! :) I know that when you go low carb you lose a lot of water weight, so when you introduce them again you probably gain that water weight back - it'll settle eventually and you'll start seeing the true weight loss after a while :)

A balanced diet is good though, and if you think you're overdoing it on the carbs then perhaps find some other meals you enjoy? If you love oatmeal for breakfast then look at your other meals - replace some pasta/bread based meals with meat/fish + vegetables, soup and salad, use sweet potato instead of normal potato etc.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm

It might help you to know that throughout the world and throughout history, most populations have based their meals on carbs. Whether it's rice in Asia, corn (maize) in South and Central America, or wheat in the Mediterranean and Europe, and potatoes in Europe and parts of South America, meals have been based on carbs.

All of these groups of people, especially the Asians and those in the Mediterranean, have been known for their good health throughout life. Granted most were more active than we are now, but that's not a reason to eliminate carbs.

Carbs are not the devil. Also, if you limit or eliminate any food/food group, you're going to lose weight -- and gain some back when you add it back to your diet.

I'm going to climb on my soapbox now and say that if there's a problem food in our diets today, it's processed foods. Climbing off the soapbox now...
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Re: Freaking out over carb intake

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:50 pm

mainemom wrote: Iknow I have wired my brain into thinking like this because of restricting carbs so much
but....I am actually dreading getting on the scales Monday.
I am only three weeks into this so bear with me.
I know my body needs to adjust. A little scared though.
My own personal experiments with restricting carbs have shown me
that in MY OWN body:
My weight is more about HOW MUCH FOOD I put into my body,
than the TYPE OF FOOD I put into it.

It is acceptable to use the No S Diet just the way Reinhard does for himself,
or to add various diet modifications... such as:
"Low-Carb" or "Avoiding Processed Foods" or "calorie-counting".
Reinhard encourages us to first try out basic "vanilla" No S,
and then to add whatever personal modifications we feel are suitable.

MY personal low-carb Results have been:
When on low-carb my weight range runs about 3 to 5 lbs lower-- but only due to reduced water.
When I do 2 weeks to 12 weeks of very-low carb eating (10 to 30 daily carbs)
while continuing to eat my maintenance calorie amount, my body rapidly drops a lot of weight.
Then when I resume eating my maintenance calories (not higher calorie eating),
within 2 weeks, my body weight returns to exactly what it was before low-carb.

I, personally, find both of the modifications:
"low-carb eating" and "avoiding processed foods eating" ... to be too restrictive for me,

and I've developed an enjoyable Habit of using computer software tools to count calories.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:21 pm

When you say "vanilla" you mean staying strictly with the No S rules, right? I'm sure it is spelled out on this site somewhere but I have seen this phrase come up often and want to make sure I understand.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:51 pm

mainemom wrote:When you say "vanilla" you mean staying strictly with the No S rules, right? I'm sure it is spelled out on this site somewhere but I have seen this phrase come up often and want to make sure I understand.
Yes, following the rules with no modifications.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmsurbat

Re: Freaking out over carb intake

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:42 pm

mainemom wrote:...I am actually dreading getting on the scales Monday. I am only three weeks into this so bear with me. I know my body needs to adjust. A little scared though.
May I suggest that you not weigh on a Monday, assuming that you use the weekends as your S-days? I always weighed myself on Friday morning after a week of N days because it is what/how you eat MOST of the time that will determine your final, long-term, maintenance weight.

Also, for your encouragement, not all carbs are created equal and oatmeal is one of the good guys! :) Since you love it, I suggest keeping it in your meal rotation because it really is worth learning how to eat moderately eating the foods you love!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:57 pm

I think weighing on Friday does make more sense. Thanks. And I agree that not all Carbs are created equal. I think it's going to take time to get use to having some. Thanks to all of you for all your help.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:24 pm

And what will you do if you have gained weight (most likely water weight) from eating carbs? Is it worth giving up the enjoyment of those foods to force your body to release any extra water it might be retaining? Might you give yourself more time to see what happens over time? Can you be happy eating low carb for the long run?

Moderation does not guarantee the greatest loss possible. Then again, if it's worth it to you, I guess you'll make the sacrifices necessary. If not, I hope you'll still find joy in your habits.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:22 am

I have decided to give this new way of eating at least a few months. I know that I may have gained a little. (water) I stuck with seriously low carb eating for two years and only lost ten pounds in the end. So I am not one to quit easily. I really LOVE this WOE and want it to work very badly.