Thank you and No S is unbelievable!!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

3aday

Thank you and No S is unbelievable!!!

Post by 3aday » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:37 pm

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to say hello and apologize for not posting in my Daily Checkin during the last 3 weeks. I wanted you guys to know that even though I haven't been around, you have all been on my mind.
Things got super busy around here and I quit smoking and had to replace some old habits with some new ones.
Example, sitting around and smoking nonstop and posting messages on the internet and replacing it with walking at night and cooking. (Disasterously, I might add, but making the effort to cook in a more healthful manner).
Anyoo, I wanted to thank Reinhard for publishing this system on the web and creating this support group. I especially wanted to thank all of the amazing people that offerred me guidance and support when I first started No S'ing even when I just couldn't get how simple it was. Your support is what kept me going when I would get discouraged and think this was "too hard" or when I complicated things that did not need to be complicated.

Alot has happenned in 3 weeks.
Number 1, I stopped beating myself up if I was not "perfect".
I had to remember this was a lifestyle and not a diet.
I have to admit, I think being too busy to post in my daily checkin did help reinforce the "it's a lifestyle thing" and "it's not diet" thing, though.
Since 03/08 I have been No S'ing successfully. (I started No S on 1/1 but it was half essed but much better than pre No S and I still went down a dress size), walking, and NOT SMOKING! Woohoo!
I still can't believe I didn't gain weight when I quit smoking.
I believe this is entirely due to No S.
(OK, in the beginning of the quitting process, I did eat alot of fruit at night. It was either eat lots of fruit or smoke).
I think even my mentality changed....
A friend had asked me if I had lost more weight.
I hadn't checked but I had answered "I probably gained 2 or 3 pounds from quitting smoking but I am not worried about it because this program is for life."
Out of curiosity, I did check. I had not gained. I lost.
I've lost 15 pounds since 1/1/06 with No S.
After the first few days of not smoking, I realized, if I can do this, I can eat 3 meals a day.
A little discomfort (OK, alot, not smoking and not snacking...eek!) in the beginning is not going to kill me when comparing it to a lifetime of feeling good from developing positive habits.
Again, I can't thank all of you enough and I want to give hope to the ones that are just starting.
You can do it no matter how you eat.
Also, I wanted to add, I stopped eating meat, chicken and fish and really increased the amount of carbs I was eating.
I lost weight.
It really isn't a low carb/high carb thing. It's TOTALLY a "too much food" thing and cutting out seconds and snacks really is the best way of eating less.
Gotta run but I wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone and let all the new people know it can be done. You can do it! :D
Last edited by 3aday on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david

Post by david » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:59 pm

Wow, 3aday, that's a heap of positive change in a short span of time--very impressive!

If you don't mind me asking, why did you cut out the flesh foods? Are you doing the lacto-ovo thing?

thanks,
David

ceu

Post by ceu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:34 pm

congratulations. Way to go on treating yourself the way you deserve to be treated, by quitting smoking and losing weight. Awesome :)

3aday

Post by 3aday » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:50 pm

Thanks for the uplifting replies!
This is going to be long...Sorry
In regards to becoming vegetarian...
I cut out animal flesh foods because I don't want to support factory farming. I can't say and don't know enough to believe that we are truly omnivours. I do believe animals were put on this earth to provide us companionship as well as food and warmth. I believe that animal flesh as well as dairy can be nourishing and nutritious when they come from natural environments the way they were intended.
However, to me, there is nothing natural about factory farming and it has really become quite horrible. The conditions and torture they are exposed to breaks my heart. Giving up animal flesh has been very easy. I was surprised since I ate lots of hot dogs and bacon (loved them). Also, I really, really have cut back on dairy because of the conditions the dairy cows are kept in.
But that one has been harder to give up and has not been a perfect transition.
I'm new to vegetariansim so I am not very good at explaining why I do this.
Right now it's "Progress and not perfection" for me.
Will I ever eat meat again? I can't honestly answer that because I don't know.
Maybe a friend will prepare a steak (not knowing I was veg) with nothing but love in their hearts for me. I don't know if I could hurt a friend in order to not hurt an animal that already has died.
Lets say factory farming did not exist and all animals grazed happily in the sun eating grass and water and living the way they should and we ended their lives with respect and gratitude that they would nourish us.....I still think Americans eat waayyy too much meat and drink too much milk anyway.
In most other countries people don't eat 8 and 16 ounce steaks but maybe 2 or 3 ounces with their balanced meals that have rice, vegetables, a little bit of cheese, some bread and fruit for dessert. And they don't eat meat every day.
I know this because of my naturally thin naturally No S Turkish/Bulgarian hubby and his entire family. They just don't eat the same way we do in regards to animal flesh and dairy. They are all thin and super healthy. Hate them. Just kidding!
They drink black tea as their main drink (not soda) and little espressos or little cups of tea after meals (not 20 ounce lattes from Starbucks), they eat 3 meals a day, rarely snack (hubby is a mover so when he works a 12 hour day he does get hungry and eats extra at night), and don't eat massive amounts of animal products. They eat lots of veggies in olive oil and their dairy intake is a couple of ounces of cheese and full fat plain yogurt mixed as a condiment or a side with dinner or lunch. Lots of chickpeas, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, etc.... Milk is usually a couple ounces in their cappuccino in the morning (and that's an occasional thing, kind of like an S day) and not a cup in a bowl of cereal. (I am not knocking it, my fave breakfast was frosted shredded wheats with whole milk, still makes my mouth water thinking about it).
Many of our European friends and family members have full fat dairy in their coffee or hot chocolate (real not processed) and little pieces of cheese everyday but again everything else they eat is fresh and loaded with veggies. Meat and cheese are a small condiment and not the main event.
They really stay away from processed junk (Hubby started eating processed everything because of me but started feeling so terrible he went back to his Naturally No S, whole food, organic way of eating and feels great).
Anyhoo, back to vegetarianism...I think fruit, veggies, grains, nuts, seeds, and beans are wholesome and healthy and compassionate (for me).
If I drink milk or cheese, I only buy organic.
When I go out to eat, I eat ethnic and no dairy and no meat since I am not sure where it came from. Oh, and I try to stay away from lots of fake veggie meats because it's all processed soy stuff which to me is the same as processed pop tart.
I am going to a birthday party on Saturday and I am sure they will have a cake made with eggs and milk. Will I eat it? Maybe. It's a joyous situation celebrating her daughters second b-day.
I have good intentions in regards to being veg and hope one day to progress to vegan but right now I believe it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Every little bit counts.
Sorry, sorry, sorry this was soooo long.
My eating habits are not perfect but alot better than they were 3 weeks ago. My old posts show my meat and processed food loving ways.
Hopefully, this lifetime plan will keep improving but I will not beat myself up if I slip up (I am human, you know!) :D

Kevin

Congratulations

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:09 am

You have great self discipline! Quitting tobacco and excess food at the same time!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:27 am

Thanks!
I couldn't believe I did it considering the first 2 and a half months of No S I messed up just about every day.
I am not going to lie.
Quitting tobacco was tough.
I couldn't even sit at the computer because the urge to smoke a cig while online became overwhelming for a little while.
But, I am 33 and was having some health problems because of my lifestyle (bad food, smoking, lack of activity) and can't believe that for the first time in years after only 3 weeks of not smoking and walking, I have natural energy.
I just wanted to share with everyone.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:42 am

Hi Becky!

Just wanted to chime in with a big CONGRATULATIONS! :D

This is awesome. I'm so glad it's working out so well for you.

I have a good friend who, rather than going veggie has decided only to eat organic, humanely reared and slaughtered, meats which she buys from her local farmers market and cooks herself. That's her answer to the "horrible conditions of animals" thing. I have another friend who is strictly veggie (but not non-dairy) because she used to be a meat and poultry inspector for the UK government and saw one too many dodgy things going on!

Anyhow, fantastic job with quitting smoking, losing weight, getting healthier, learning to cook and everything. Wow.

C.
CaroleJo

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:42 am

Congratulations on starting your new healthy life style.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

david

Post by david » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:12 pm

3aday,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I did the vegan thing for almost two years and it was very useful for me. I may go back to it at some point, but for now I'm doing the No-S tango and what I eat is not dissimilar to what you describe your husband's family eating.

Anyway, best of luck with the new habits! We're pulling for you!

thanks,
David

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.
CaroleJo, that is something I may consider if I do decide to eat meat again.
Hubby eats meat so I try to buy meat from our local market which sells "organic, humanely treated meat".
Hubby also smokes : ( so I have made him switch to tobacco only cigarrettes.
I had no idea there were such great little hidden markets in the area.
OH, and about the cooking..I am doing it but it still tastes TERRIBlE!

David, thanks for the input on your former vegan lifestyle.
Veganism can be very hard to sustain. I am impressed you did it for 2 years.

What saddens me about some of the animal rights extremists is the "all or nothing" approach to vegetarian eating. If somehow you don't stick to it 100%, you are a failure. To me, that is such a destructive way of thinking. I think every little bit counts.

I really don't like labels but do like the "Flexitarian way of thinking"
Why Flexitarianism
Some reasons people choose to follow flexitarianism are as follows:

They consider a vegetarian diet to be healthier, but enjoy eating meat.
They are not ethically opposed to eating meat, but find a vegetarian diet to be less expensive.
Other members of their household are vegetarian and flexitarian diet is more convenient.
They believe vegetarian food conserves water and land resources and thus feeds more people.
Some, like freegans, believe that wasting already-cooked food does more damage than eating it.
They believe it is rude to refuse a meal cooked by a friend, even if it contains meat.
They oppose the poor conditions or environmental consequences of certain practices in animal husbandry, and hence will only eat what they consider "ethical meat". This can make them effectively vegetarian in many situations.
They believe in minimising their environmental footprint by eating less meat

Anyoo, enough about that, I think NO S rocks and is the best plan whatever you decide to eat (even junky food)!

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:33 pm

I made a correction in my original post.
I wrote "cutting out seconds and carbs really is the best way of eating less". I meant to type "cutting out seconds and snacks" is the best way of eating less.
I eat lots of carbs!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi Becky! Sorry I didn't respond right away.. I'm at the library since my comp monitor is broken at home..
Just wanted to congratulate you on your self growth and wonderful weight loss and NOT going back to smoking or switching one unhealthy habit for another!!!!!!!
You are awesome!!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

10ch

Post by 10ch » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:28 pm

3aday, thanks for pasting that bit about "flexitarians" -- I'd never seen that before.

My partner has been a vegetarian for over 10 years now and we don't eat meat at home. But I'm not against eating meat.

I'm sure we all have a lot to learn about what goes on behind the scenes, even in organic and humane places. Sometimes I just want to move out in the woods and fend for myself! (Seriously.)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:25 am

3day,

Congratulations! And no smoking too! Wow, that is a HUGE fourth S.

Regarding "flexitarianism:" meat used to be such a luxury that most people ate it in sub-flexitarian amounts. In a lot of traditional cuisine it's used almost as a spice, a lot of flavor is extracted from a very sparing amount. It's sort of the opposite of the carnivorous gorging vs. puritanical finickiness ("is there meat in that?") that gets people all heated up today.

Eating less meat also means you can afford to eat better meat, not only better tasting meat, but also more humanely produced meat (and eggs and dairy, which from what I understand tend to be raised in conditions that are much worse than for beef cattle). Eating better meat means you can't afford to eat more meat, which is another way to approach the problem :-).

Disclaimer: bleeding heart and all, I still eat (by historical standards) a lot of meat. But less so than I used to (that's mostly no-s, but some conscience).

Reinhard

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:36 am

congrats, 3aday. I know what you mean, there are very few absolutes in my life. I don't cook meat at home but I do eat it out once in a while.

One statistic that stuck in my mind -- from "Diet For A Small Planet" --is that if Americans were to eat only 10% less meat than they do now, and if the grain savings were to be equitably redistributed in the world (pretty much impossible under our present neoliberal capitalist system), then world hunger would be a thing of the past.

Pretty powerful stuff.

My advice? Learn to cook beans, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and DEFINITELY learn how to use spices. You'll get bored quick if you don't!

Good luck!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

want2bhealthy

thanks

Post by want2bhealthy » Wed May 10, 2006 5:52 pm

i am so happy for you. i never smoked but i have heard that you gain weight cause you are not smoking. anyhoo(lol) i was so happy to read your post that said you quit eating some meats and ate more carbs. i know you werent suggesting people do that. but the thing you said about it isnt a high carb/lowcarb thing it is a eating to much food thing. i think that was it. i loved that. it is the truth!!! i even sent it to some of my diet internet buddies, i hope you dont mind. i hope you are doing good and thanks for that inspiring post. i need to eat a variety of foods from all food groups for any plan to work for me. and this is it. and you really confirmed that for me. congrats on losing weight and stopping smoking. oh PS if you have back slid or went off program i hope you will still post. i know if someone is patting you on the back and you are giving someone support you might not want to come oh here and say you didnt follow through. but we are all human and we can all do this. thanks again.
man, i have tried EVERYTHING else, this has to be my last stop.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

pangelsue

3aday you rock!

Post by pangelsue » Thu May 11, 2006 5:39 am

You were the shot in the arm I needed to jump start my motivation agai!!!! Thank you so much and congratulations on your road to growth and enlightenment.

I also agree that organic food is great. We have been almost totally organic for about 5 years now and we buy our meat locally and organic. After this amount of time, restaurant chicken actually tastes gummy and awful. I work with several Hmongs and they pay farmers to raise their chickens because they think the ones in the store taste funny. They raise them, feed them and humanely kill them. They also eat very little meat. Like Reinhard said, they flavor their dishes with it and add lots of spices.

My husband was diagnosed with cancer about 10 years ago and we got started on organic by attending a meeting sponsored by Cancer Treatment Centers of America. They believe in treating the whole person when they are diagnosed. They told us they would empower us by the end of the night and they really did. They asked us if we really wanted to do something to help ourselves be the healthiest people we could be. They told us that the immune system takes a big hit when you have cancer and you need to put as little stress on that immune system as possible. That means chemicals, pesticides, hormones etc. should be eliminated as much as possible. Happy thoughts and a full life are also important. Since then we have read a lot of books on the subject and the more you read the more you know they are right. We are what we eat and put in and on our bodies. We are also what we think and do. We came to that meeting scared and feeling small and we left feeling hopeful and like we had an arsenal of weapons to use against disease of all kinds. My husband is currently healthy and cancer free and we are both poster children for organic and natural. Our favorite book on the subject was Beating Cancer with Nutrition. It is a subject near and dear to our hearts. So long story longer, I think you are on the right path. March on.

3aday

Thanks

Post by 3aday » Thu May 18, 2006 4:55 pm

Thank you everyone for the positive replies.
I am so sorry I haven't checked in for awhile.
I think about all of you soo much...but working full time and taking classes at night has eaten all of my internet surfing time!
I wrote this post not because of my eating habits changing but because I wanted to give credit where credit is due.
This is a great plan.
Even if you do eat meat and cheese, eating 1 plate of food 3 times a day with no sweets M-F totally limits the amount of bad foods you put in your body. I think it's truly a great plan.
Do I mess up? Absolutely!
Do I sometimes eat too much? Yes!
Do I sometimes eat unhealthy? Of course, because I am not perfect.
But, the No S Plan is a really such a fantastic "I can sustain this for life" plan that I feel like I need to reiterate if for those who are new on the plan.
I hope everyone has a great/day/week/month!

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu May 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Pangelsue:
I am happy your husband is cancer free.
That is wonderful!
Responses like yours keep me inspired!