Gained another pound.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Goodcooker

Gained another pound.

Post by Goodcooker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:06 am

Hey all! Third week into this and I have gained a pound a week!!?? I am truly sticking to this throughout the week. A little discouraged. I even layed off the oatmeal. Any thoughts? Have you seen this type of gain before? Three weeks into this I thought I would at least stay the same weight if I didn't lose. I didn't expect to GAIN! :) Sticking to it.
-MM

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 am

While I certainly understand that the weight gain is discouraging, I don't think it's that unusual, especially for someone who (if I remember correctly) has followed a low carb diet.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:43 am

Yes. I have followed a LC diet for quite a while. Such a bummer though. My friend who started the No S diet with me and did LC as well is losing, while I am gaining. :? She isn't any more active either. I know we are all different. Well.....I will keep at it.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:09 pm

Could it be possible that you may just need to eat lower carb? Maybe LC works better for your body?

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Might be a possibility. I guess for the next couple of weeks I could try it. Kind of bummed though because I was getting so tired of cooking low carb and thinking up things I could eat. I am so tired of eggs. I could care less if I ever ate another one. Not to mention after taking a good year to lose 10 pounds I just stopped losing. I really wanted this to work for me. I will tweak it a little and give it more time.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:41 pm

I'd give No-S a longer shot before going back to low carb.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:00 pm

mainemom wrote:Might be a possibility. I guess for the next couple of weeks I could try it. Kind of bummed though because I was getting so tired of cooking low carb and thinking up things I could eat. I am so tired of eggs. I could care less if I ever ate another one. Not to mention after taking a good year to lose 10 pounds I just stopped losing. I really wanted this to work for me. I will tweak it a little and give it more time.
Doing low-carb will drop your glycogen and the water stored with it,
for an initial loss of between 3 to 7 lbs, but as soon as you eat any carbs,
your body will replace the glycogen and accompanying water.

Even while you are doing No S, in order to lose weight, you need to eat LESS.
You can choose to eat low-carb, or you can just choose to eat lower-calorie.
Personally, I enjoy using a computer program to track my food,
and I watch my calories while I eat whatever I like.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:41 pm

I think you may be on to something brightangel. What I found with LC is that I was eating quite a few cals and the volume of food was high. I need to get use to smaller portions. And to be completely honest I haven't really been paying too much attention to portion size. I figured I wasn't snacking and no sweets so I was all set and piled my the food on my plate. I will start watching my portions. Thanks.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Give it a few months and start looking at portion size - that usually comes once the habits are solid. First month I came back to NoS after a 3 month break I didn't lose any weight despite almost perfect compliance. Sometimes it happens! :)

As brightangel pointed out low carb is easy to eat fewer calories - meat, fish and veggies don't have that much in them! Bread, flour and other carby products have loads, you'll probably just need to slowly adjust your portions over time. That's a problem for loads of new NoS-ers, even those who haven't been low carb specifically - you pile food on each plate to make sure you can get through without snacking, it's part of the process. Give yourself a break, it'll take a while to work it out but you'll get there!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:27 am

wosnes wrote:I'd give No-S a longer shot before going back to low carb.
I very much agree.

Based on BrightAngel's post, by reintroducing carbs you could well have added up to 7 pounds in water and glycogen. So, any fat lost will be hidden in the water gain. I'm losing less than 1/2 a pound a week at the moment on No-S, so it would take months for the slow body fat loss to balance out a 7 pound water gain.

Try to think of this as a lifetime eating pattern. If you can get the No-S habits down, so they become automatic, then you can start to worry about weight loss and what's on your plate. You said yourself that the idea of going back to low carb bums you out, and you didn't lose that well on it anyway. Unless you want to eat that way for the rest of your life (and it sounds like you don't), I don't see any point going back to it for weight loss - you will always bounce back up when you quit eating that way.

Of course, you know your body, and you can take my advice with a grain of salt, as I can't stand low carb diets. I just love my sweet potato, pumpkin, steel cut oats, and other carb-o-licious staples.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:05 am

mainemom wrote:I think you may be on to something brightangel. What I found with LC is that I was eating quite a few cals and the volume of food was high. I need to get use to smaller portions. And to be completely honest I haven't really been paying too much attention to portion size. I figured I wasn't snacking and no sweets so I was all set and piled my the food on my plate. I will start watching my portions. Thanks.
The next S should be No Supersizing. I don't think many of us realize how out of control our portions sizes are. Probably the only exception to that could be relatively plain vegetables.

I don't think we need to weigh or measure everything, but learn what a proper serving looks like and then just eyeball it. Or, just eyeball it and have your plate be half vegetables/fruit, 1/4 protein, and 1/4 starch.

emmay

Post by emmay » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:47 am

You could try staying away from the scales and track habits instead.
I haven't weighed myself for a few weeks and I feel happier for it.

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:31 am

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out. I have a friend who is BEGGING me to join WW with her. To be honest I just don't have time to be logging points or counting. Not to mention it cost money. Plus I go to a quilting class one night a week, my daughter has dance one night a week, and being gone another night for WW meetings would be too much. I have decided I am going to give this No S way of eating all winter. I will see where I am in the spring. I am not looking for a quick fix. I know there is no such thing. I am hoping someday I can be here at this forum giving someone advice and sharing my own journey.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks for being honest that your servings may have been quite big. No S can't fool your body. If you still eat more than your body burns, you will gain.

Just to let you know, I probably eat only 5-7 portions (the traditional ones: 1/2 cup rice, for example) of starches a day, not counting fruit (1-3 pieces a day). That doesn't fit true low carb, but that is not my intention, and I think that might be low by American standards. I just know if I eat much more than that, along with the other foods I want and enjoy, I get too full. Eventually, true satiety has to play a role. And I had gotten used to lots of veggies at most meals even before No S. If I don't have them, my meals would look pretty meager.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)