The Power of Sleep

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

The Power of Sleep

Post by gk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Yes, I've read it a million times....if you get more sleep, you'll stick to your diet better, feel better and it actually helps you lose weight.

I've tried it in the past for a few nights in a row, but I never felt any different, so I figured I might as well stay up later and get stuff done or have some "me time". I have averaged 5-6 hours a sleep for years.

Well, this time I stuck with it for a little over a week. I turned down my time to read, watch a show or catch up on other things. It actually took about 9 or so days of 7-9 hours of sleep per night for me to notice the difference, and it is AMAZING how much better I feel. And yes, I am finding it easier to turn down those snacks and sweets.

Obvious stuff I know, but I guess I just never gave it much of a chance, figuring if I don't feel refreshed after 2 nights of 9 hours of sleep, I'm not gonna. Thought it was my poor diet, not enough water, no exercise, etc. that was causing my sluggishness. (Yes, I have many areas to work on. :-))

I'm losing "me time", but I'm gaining a much better day each day, so it's worth it. Just that one change has brought so much difference - imagine what more water, better diet and exercise would do?!?!? :wink: I'm workin on it, I'm workin on it. :)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Wow, I'm inspired! I have 4 kids and have been terribly sleep deprived since 1993. I know that when I'm well rested, I don't feel that mid-afternoon snack attack. Its like my body says, "well, if you won't sleep, I guess we need more energy in calorie form". At least that's what I imagine it saying... ha. I know that I have never given it more than a weekend. I think I should try longer. Thanks! :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

gk

Post by gk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:20 pm

I have four kids as well, and as we all know, during the younger years you have no choice - being sleep-deprived is just a fact a life. However, my youngest is 7 now, so I have no excuse to not get a longer night's sleep. Just wish I would've started this sooner! :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Wow! That's great. I have 2 kids, and the youngest one is 1, so I've been sleep deprived for 2 years now. I'll have to try going to bed earlier.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:24 pm

I absolutely agree. I have a 5 month old, and I really notice my wish for sugar / snacks on those days when we've had really crappy nights. I try to remind myself that what I really need is sleep, not sugar.

ashlei

Post by ashlei » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:35 am

My friends thinks that was my secret for being thin :lol: I get 8-10 hours of sleep. And yes I have a child too. The last time I was deprived of sleep was during my thesis day way back in college. I remember eating a lot of crap that time.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:03 am

I cannot wait until our little man sleeps 8 - 10 hours in a row! Sounds like heaven to me :)

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Wow! This is really interesting! I too have 4 kids, and have been sleep deprived since 1994 :shock: ugg!! I have tried to get extra sleep off and on for years, but only half-heartedly. Like the other mothers here, I too want to get in my "me time" after they go to bed (all the while complaining about how *tired* I am, lol!!).

I am inspired to give this a real try. I would love to actually feel GOOD when I wake up, instead of only half awake!! It shouldn't be surprising that it takes a week or more to start feeling the positive effects since most of us have years of sleep deprivation to make up for, but I never thought that was it, before-just thought I felt lousy!

Thanks for posting this!
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 am

I too have 4 kiddos. The importance of good sleep is one thing I learned the 1st time I did NoS. I learned it and it stuck! The difference in how I feel has been amazing! Unfortunately my eating habits are taking a longer time to stick. :roll: Let's see? I wonder how much better I would feel if I could stop my children from bickering?! :lol:
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:08 pm

ZippaDee wrote: Let's see? I wonder how much better I would feel if I could stop my children from bickering?! :lol:
Unfortunately, I don't think that ever completely stops, though (in my limited experience) it does get better.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:04 am

Jaxhil wrote: "Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine
love that!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

gk

Post by gk » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Wow.....last night was the first time in a while that I got only about 5-6 hours of sleep. All day long I've been dragging, snacking and not productive at all. It's just like dieting I guess..........you can work and work and FINALLY lose weight, but then gain it back 4 times as fast as you lost it!! It only took me one night of little sleep to feel like I did before my marathon of ideal sleeping. ISH - I'm getting more sleep tonight!! :shock:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Wish I felt like I was in control of that. Even if I go to bed earlier, it doesn't guarantee I'll sleep through the night. But it's a nice idea.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)