The "diet" in No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

10ch

The "diet" in No S

Post by 10ch » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:08 pm

Hi folks -

I guess first (and briefly) I should introduce myself. I'm Beck -- a southern belle (sarcasm) from North Cackalackie, USA (who likes to type parenthetically).

I lost a lot of weight (around 130 lbs) a few years ago and have been maintaining since. Recently I got re-bitten by the butch up bug and was looking into weight lifting routines when I discovered shovel gloving (linked from Mistress Krista's site http://stumptuous.com). I already shovel more holes and chop more wood than my fellow Durhamite (on the weekends) and so when I started to read Reinhard's strategies for everyday systems, I found it hard to stop!

I love the names and the devices used to help you understand and remember them. I have, however, an extreme aversion to the word "diet."

But, this morning, I was reading an article that cited the following, "The origin of the word 'diet' is from the Greek word 'diaita' which means 'prescribed way of living' not just ruthless caloric restriction." and I realized that, if that's the case, diet is the perfect word to use. We just have to educate ourselves (and others) to undo the bad connotations the word brings to mind.

Anyway, that's it. Hope you're all having a SUCCESSful day.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:28 pm

Hey Beck,

That is such a cool definition, and I agree it totally fits with NoS. I never thought of this as a 'diet' like "special types and / or quantities of things to eat" but more as a "diet" as in "what do you eat and how do you live?" and this is the proof!

I shall remember this and pass it on as well.

C.
CaroleJo

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:51 pm

I just wanted to say that your weight loss blog is proving to be very inspirational to me. Maybe I should begin my own. :-)

10ch

Post by 10ch » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:20 pm

Scott -

I recommend it. Let us know if you do!

Beck

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:07 pm

10ch wrote:Let us know if you do!
It's http://scottwblack.blogspot.com for what it's worth.

ceu

Post by ceu » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:17 pm

looks good, scott. :)

you two are inspiring me to devote a regular part of my journal to my health. It's on Suicidegirls.com, so I won't link it here due to nakedness.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:25 pm

Thanks for the quote and the link, Becky (and Scott).

I go even further, I think of "diet" as "what is eaten," rules or no rules, as in: "the great northern burly faced raccoon has an omnivorous diet." We all have diets, whether thought out or not. If the unthought kind isn't working, then maybe it's time for rules. Good rules will create habits that don't require much thinking long term. Bad rules never get past the popular definition.

It's interesting to note that the "raccoon" sense of diet is in fact the primary definition in most dictionaries:

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jse ... sbid=lc04a

1. The usual food and drink of a person or animal.

2. A regulated selection of foods, as for medical reasons or cosmetic weight loss.

Reinhard