Trying again, with questions!!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jld141

Trying again, with questions!!!

Post by jld141 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm back to No S after failing about 3 times before this, but I really need a strict set of rules to keep me in check. Here are the reasons I think I failed the first time and I wonder if anyone has any ideas to help address these:

1) If I mess up once early in the day, I just regard the entire day as a red day and go overboard instead of just starting new after my one mess up.

2) I try to eat more at meals so I don't get ravenous in between them, but then I end up eating so much that I don't see any weight loss, and then I get impatient and quit.

3) In my mind I know why NoS works and I know how to implement it (by being as strict as possible with the rules), but sometimes when no one is around I just eat everything I can (a closet eater I guess). My mind knows that this is bad and that I am only hurting myself, but for some reason I just don't care enough to stop. But then I get mad at myself. This cycle has been continuing for a long time. I want to lose weight so badly, but sometimes I just ignore this when I'm feeling a little extra hungry, when I'm bored, when there is something delicious in the cabinets and no one else is around. After I'm full I can rationalize forever...but for some reason when I'm in the moment the rational thoughts don't come to mind fast enough and before I know it I've eaten a TON.

I'm starting new tomorrow and I hope that this time it will actually work and I can stop going crazy and beating myself up about food and maybe actually lose weight for once!

Thanks to any help anyone can give me!!!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:01 am

Are you keeping track on habitcal?

It's a good idea to make a list of the most motivating reasons you have to lose weight. I have some cosmetic ones, but they really aren't the most motivating for me. Mine have to do with how tired I was of the habit, the fear of it getting even worse, and protecting how much better I feel when I don't overeat. They are also values such as "enough it better than more than enough," and I do love the concept of moderation.

Read your list every morning and at various times throughout the day for several weeks. You'll be surprised how the thoughts will start popping into your mind at appropriate times.

I also suggest you read Judith Beck's Weight Loss Workbook. Her strategy of using counteracting thoughts to oppose the thoughts that come convincing us to eat was and is very helpful to me.

Another one is to think at a calm time about what it's like to follow through on a binge, getting very clear how uncomfortable it feels and how sorry you often are. At a moment of temptation, force yourself to minimize how much of a focus you put on how pleasurable it will be taste and chew the desired food, and to expand how you will feel afterwards.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Dale

Post by Dale » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 am

I'm not very good at No S (and mix it up with other things, so no wonder ...), so I know where you're coming from!

1) I ended up giving up on Habitcal because I hated seeing a whole day as a failure. I'd rather just try to get back on track from the next meal, rather than write the whole day off. So I find it easier to see it as meal to meal, rather than day to day.

2) I found that eating big meals was a good way to get the habit going, but I ended up having to cut down to lose weight. I think that the sad truth for me is that losing weight involves going a bit hungry. I do calorie count a bit too, and have been experimenting with low-cal/"fasting" days.

3) I think it's difficult. I've sometimes found that having a drink instead of food helps. Distraction helps too - something like having a bath. Sometimes postponing helps - thinking that if I really want something in an hour, I'll have it.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:32 am

Dale wrote:
2) I found that eating big meals was a good way to get the habit going, but I ended up having to cut down to lose weight. I think that the sad truth for me is that losing weight involves going a bit hungry. I do calorie count a bit too, and have been experimenting with low-cal/"fasting" days.
I agree that losing weight involves being hungry. Then again, I don't think that's a bad thing! Being hungry for your next meal is how it's meant to be, rather than eating every time our stomach's grumble a little or we feel a little hunger pang. I've definitely learned to live with feeling hungry now and then on NoS, and I'm ok with that :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:41 am

milliem wrote: I agree that losing weight involves being hungry. Then again, I don't think that's a bad thing! Being hungry for your next meal is how it's meant to be, rather than eating every time our stomach's grumble a little or we feel a little hunger pang. I've definitely learned to live with feeling hungry now and then on NoS, and I'm ok with that :)
I agree and think both losing and maintaining a certain weight involves feeling hunger and realizing that it's not a bad thing.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:24 pm

I LOVE my hunger and now and wish I could eat little enough that I felt it more often! And it's not just about losing weight. It just feels better to get hungry. But I've been at it awhile.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 am

I just started back on No S too, and I echo all your concerns. One thing that's helped me a lot is being on the daily boards, and I hear you about having a slip-up early in the morning and then feeling like its a red day so I might as well eat what I want. What's helped me there is to decide I'm not going to blow the whole day, then I'll brag about it on my thread later. Celebrating small successes. Doing a 21 day challenge always helps me even if I have to start over. (I'm on Day 6 today)

Portion control has been my biggest challenge, I'm trying something now. I just made a habitcal for portion control separate from No S. When I have a good day I'm posting a green, but no reds if I fail, just leaving it blank. I'm going to see how many greens I can get this month on portion control. This might be the key to losing weight.

I agree with the others, hunger is not a bad thing. But something in my behavior makes me act like it is, and I load up my plate, wanting to make sure I have enough! I have to get over this. Being hungry for my next meal is a GOOD thing!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.