Three Meal History

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ThomsonsPier

Three Meal History

Post by ThomsonsPier » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:18 am

Hello, all.

There's a brief history of meals on the BBC News site today, and how we came to have three of them. I thought it might be of interest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20243692
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:01 am

Interesting. Thanks. As someone who eats a very small breakfast (1piece of fruit and a coffee) I feel supported by this article. I can't tell you how annoyed I get from constantly hearing I should eat a very big breakfast. All that does to me is wanting to eat for the rest of the day, constantly. Interestingly, the same people in my network promote perma-snacking.

What meals I should eat obviously depends on when I need most energy considering my lifestyle. It seems history supports that. So thank you very much for lifting another concern from my shoulders with this article.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks -- that was very interesting. I'm not much of a breakfast eater and prefer to eat my larger meal at midday, if possible, then a light dinner. It doesn't always work that way, but it's my preference.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Dale

Post by Dale » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for the link! I love Clarissa Dickson Wright and didn't realise that this series was on.

I don't have much appetite in the early morning, so tend to have a small breakfast. I don't want to "waste" my calories on eating food I don't enjoy!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:19 pm

So what did people do when they didn't have formal meals? Those villagers in the Bruegal paintings don't look especially svelte. I think there must have been some snacking outside of breakfast and "dinner."

I've posted this before but I know when I was in trail hiking in Nepal in the late 70's, the locals were up working for several hours on just hot water or tea. I think they just had two formal meals,very modest by our standards, midmorning and evening. They were rather short, stocky people and could easily pass me up on the trail carrying 70+ pounds.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)