Do drinks every count as meals?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

alicerabbit

Do drinks every count as meals?

Post by alicerabbit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am

Can I drink coffee, soft drinks, milkshakes etc on n days? Do they count as meals or not?

Also, sometimes I have smoothies for breakfast, so now I am confusing myself a bit with drawing a line as to what is and isn't a meal..

Please help

Thankyou:)
One step back, two steps forward!:)

Sixty

Post by Sixty » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi Alicerabbit,

I think a drink is considered a sweet if the calories are mainly from sugar. So a Coke is clearly a sweet, and I would guess a milk shake is as well. I don't think some sugar in a coffee is considered a problem, since the absolute number of calories is so small. Focus on the big stuff.

One contested drink here on the forum is hot chocolate - some consider it a sweet, others don't.

So basically you need to decide for yourself what you consider a sweet, and then try to stick to your own guidelines.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:04 pm

With the exception of smoothies, none of the drinks you mention are considered meals. Soft drinks and milk shakes would be considered sweets and therefor appropriate for S days only.

Water, unsweetened juices, milk, coffee, and tea can be consumed at any time, including between meals and are not considered a snack.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Think of a drink as something you can make without a blender, something that is basically water-based. A blender is basically "chewing" solid food for you. Thus a smoothie is a perfectly acceptable meal, but not a beverage per se. If you couldn't drink it a hundred years ago, it probably isn't a beverage.

I personally regard juices as off limits because I prefer the whole fruit. But I am in the hot chocolate or mocha is okay crowd and have been for nearly 3 years with acceptable results. I don't drink soda often but do opt for the artificial sweeteners in them when I do, dang my soul. I'd rather chew my sugar.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:48 am

I use Swiss Miss No Sugar hot chocolate. It's 70 calories, I drop a teaspoon of decaf instant coffee in it and I have a mocha. I'm not a big hot chocolate lover. I guess that's my version of adding Coke to rum. I "indulge" in this 2-3 times a month so I don't sweat it.

Liquid calories are a real "killer." I thought I could sneak through with a Coke a day, not a good idea. I have also noticed, for me, that liquid calories make me hungrier later in the day. So, even things like a Slim-fast shake for breakfast, or even a "heavier" protein shake doesn't work. That's me though.

If you are in doubt, just try to not drink it.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

M's sick of dieting

Post by M's sick of dieting » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:44 pm

I guess I try not to drink calories. I'd much rather eat them. The only time I do is if I'm trying to make it to my next meal and then it's like coffee with a little cream and sugar, or maybe small glass of milk. I try to keep it under 100 calories. For me liquid calories is a kiss of failure for weightloss, it's too easy to have too much.