Weddings and No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruamgirl

Weddings and No S

Post by Ruamgirl » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:22 am

As some of you may know from reading my last post, I recently got engaged. Though we haven't set a definite date yet, I'm most likely going to get married next year in the fall (possibly November). I definitely have a significant amount of weight I need to lose by then (about 30-35 pounds or so). And I don't just want to do it for aesthetic reasons; I need to lose weight for health reasons as well. But anyway, I have finally gotten serious about doing No S (after several half-hearted attempts), and I plan to continue eating this way for the rest of my life. I've also started walking regularly. Do you guys think I could lose weight and get in good shape doing this by my wedding date? Should I increase and/or intensify my exercise and/or eating?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:37 am

My daughter got married in September. She doesn't do No-S, but started watching what she ate in the year previous to the wedding. As the date got closer, and the stress got higher, she lost even more weight than she wanted. In fact, she had to have her dress altered after the final fitting.

I wouldn't advise you to do more than you're doing (especially if you're getting results). If you lose weight more quickly, you're likely to gain it back when you stop being restrictive (or more active). It's hard to say whether or not you'll lose 30-35 pounds by then, but you'll certainly be a lot closer to it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:00 am

Stick to a way to eat that will sustain you through marriage and kids. Five days a week of urban ranger or something similar, 14 minutes of something vigorous, and No S is a fine plan. Even if you don't lose a lot (but I have a feeling you will look terrific after a year of compliance), you will feel like a different person. Give it 6 months of Vanilla and then see if you feel like turning it up a notch.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 pm

I agree with Oolala. Give it six months of solid No-S habits + sustainable exercise, and see what happens.

After six months, you will have more information about your rate of loss, your ability to maintain good habits, and will have cleared out some of the "diet-head" thinking that most of us have acquire throughout time.

That will put you in a better position to make choices, and still give you time if you feel that you need to take it up a notch.

As a totally-unsolicited aside... Remember that your marriage as more important than your wedding day, and don't get too stressed out about the day. You don't have to be at your skinniest ever to make it a wonderful day, just as you (obviously!) didn't have to be skinny to be loved. :)

Best wishes to you and your intended!