Interesting Recipes

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

freegirl

Interesting Recipes

Post by freegirl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:05 am

I am starting a thread with interesting recipes.

Here is my recipe for all Nuttela lovers (chocolate/hazelnut spread):
- 1 tsp of pure, unsweetened, good quality cocoa powder
- 1 TBSP hazelnut butter
- 4 dates

Mix cocoa powder and hazelnut butter in a small bowl. Split dates, take out pits, and spred chocolate mixture on them. Enjoy! My daughter just tried it and told me that it's more satisfying that Lindt chocolate

Tip: When I buy a jar of hazelnut butter, I transfer it into a bowl and use electric mixer to mix in oil that separated).
51 year old female
New start Oct 20, 2014
Ht. 175 cm (5'9")
SW 98 kg (216 lbs)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 pm

This also uses dates.

Date Nut Pop-Ems (because you pop 'em into your mouth)

3/4 cup nuts (almonds or walnuts or a combination)
1/2 cup soft, pitted dates

Put nuts in food processor and process until they're medium-finely ground. Then add dates and process until they're chopped and the mixture will hold together in balls.

Add cocoa to the mix if desired (about 1 tablespoon) or coconut or roll the balls in either cocoa or coconut or roll in coarse sugar.

They remind me of Lara Bars.

And a variation:

Cherry Date-Nut Balls

3/4 cup nuts (almonds and walnuts)
1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
4 large Medjool dates, pitted (about 1/3 cup)
1/3 cup dried cherries
flaked coconut (optional)

Grind the nuts in a food processor until they are coarsely chopped. Add the flax seeds, and pulse to incorporate. Add the dates and cherries, and process until everything is completely chopped and combined. Pinch a little of the mixture together to see if it sticks together or falls apart. If it’s too sticky, add more nuts. If it won’t form a ball, add more dates or cherries.

Form into balls about the width of a quarter. If you want, you can roll them in coconut that has been powdered (as much as possible) in the food processor. Makes about 16.

You can store these (if you can resist eating them) at room temperature for a couple of days or in the refrigerator for a week or more.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Those sound awesome.
I make something similar wosens
I put 1/3 cup dates, 1/3 cup walnuts, and 1/3 cup dried cherries into a food processor man mix until it forms a ball. I form it into smaller balls and they taste like larabars too. You can play around with the dried fruits.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:11 pm

I don't recall seeing hazelnut butter anywhere. I imagine I could put hazelnuts and cocoa powder in the food processor then fill the dates. I bet that would be tasty. Might make that this weekend.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:36 pm

I buy hazelnut butter in Fortinos or health food stores ( like Noah) here in Toronto. The brand is 'Nuts to you nut butter'.
51 year old female
New start Oct 20, 2014
Ht. 175 cm (5'9")
SW 98 kg (216 lbs)