big breakfast

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

finallyfull

big breakfast

Post by finallyfull » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 pm

back again -- I think I decided after the last time I "quit" no s that I would be too cranky with my kids if I couldn't snack, not sure. I am sure I gained more weight, which has been slowly sneaking up despite my pretending to be "watching" what I eat. So about 2 weeks ago I started again, because I desire a return to sanity and moderation instead of disordered, random hunger/spurts of imagined virtuousness/gluttony. I'm one of those (don't hate) who is not overweight enough to lose on vanilla -- I've tried! -- so I'm doing No S 7 days a week with the exception of "s events" on S days if a very special dessert presents itself. I don't have a sweet craving anyway. I just can't be a snacker and a thin person, apparently. Also, importantly, I'm adding a big breakfast. So far, for 2 weeks, I have really noticed a major difference from the last times, in that I never get really hungry before lunch or dinner the way I used to. I make sure I pack on like 5-600 calories at breakfast (when I'm not naturally hungry) and lo and behold I have a "food calm" the rest of the day. I have always tried to eat light in the morning because it's an "easy win", but I think I might be onto something here.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Everyone is so different when it comes to breakfast. I am someone who does better when I eat a decent breakfast of plain yogurt, muesli and fruit. I don't eat a large amount, maybe a cup's worth of volume, but there is a good balance of what keeps me full and energized. ANd like you, I think it makes for a better day hunger wise.

Your example brings in an interesting tweak for those that are looking to increase satiety throughout the day. Perhaps "How's your breakfast?" is a good diagnostic question.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 pm

If I eat a big breakfast, all I want to do all day is eat. I'm better off with none or something very light (toast and fruit).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 pm

I love your idea! I don't have time for a big breakfast, unless I wait until after 8:45 AM, when my older son leaves for school. I can see how it would help you to stay fuller for the rest of the day.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Hope the breakfast tactic keeps working.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:31 pm

I also like your idea of just doing S events on S days.

Originally, I did most of my socializing during the week and not on weekends. I felt very deprived because they weren't S days. I eventually modified by allowing myself 2-3 S events weekly. Later I modified that to allow one S daily. If I don't use it, it's gone.

As I've written before, I think there are only a few days yearly when I can throw caution to the wind and they're mostly surrounding the winter holidays. On the summer holidays I may eat things that I don't eat often, have sweets or seconds, but still don't go wild.

Even though I allow myself an S daily, I think I've really tightened things up. I rarely snack and have only a few days that I allow myself to go wild.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 pm

In the book, Reinhard says eventually the perfect S day will be much like an N day with perhaps a well-chosen S. It can also be a day with no S events. So S days really boil down to N days with an S event or two-- or none. The difference is that S's are on the table on S days. Some people are helped by not thinking of a day with an S event as an S day because the idea of "day" implies supporting permasnacking or something close to that. It's an inside job anyway. Some people have S's drop away as a concern very early, but I think most of us have to go through some stages or thinking mods. I know I have but mine are so wonky I won't go into the details. But things are better and it has been worth the wait. I know all things being equal, a diet couldn't have gotten me here.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:59 am

I am always a proponent of the big breakfast. Research shows that people who eat eggs for breakfast eat fewer calories during the day. I have noticed this phenomena in my own personal experiences.

So, in the morning I fry some sausage, scramble 4-6 eggs, give about a third of all of it to Klaus and I eat the rest. Klaus is my five month old, sixty lbs.German Shepherd. We should have named him Marmaduke. He' s smart, he opens doors, cabinets, and I discovered today the trash compactor.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

finallyfull

still great

Post by finallyfull » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:10 pm

I definitely think I'm on to something here. I usually eat a late breakfast (like 9 or 9:30) and I make it a good one, almost always with eggs, but never so much as to feel weighed down, just satisfied. There is a BIG difference in my desire to snack or eat bigger meals later. Plus I love breakfast food. One more thing: there is something healing about eating when I don't normally want to eat much -- it creates an extra feeling of abundance in my day that I cannot get when I eat breakfast or lunch, because I always like alot of food at those times. A daily dose of abundance to start out every single day leaves me feeling secure or something.

lindalou

Post by lindalou » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 pm

I also eat a big breakfast it keep me from snacking and I love breakfast food
:) :)
Start weight 156.5 lbs
No goal weight
Just eating 3 meals a day
No Snacks
No Second
No Sweet
Except on days that start with S

macmilon555

No S Diet General Discussion

Post by macmilon555 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 am

I am taking some lite breakfast at morning after some weighted food at noon and at night big food .

alexjhon

big breakfast

Post by alexjhon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23 am

Eating a 600-calorie breakfast rich in carbohydrates and protein helps dieters lose more weight long term than eating a modest breakfast

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:46 pm

From personal experience this past month, I have discovered that a bowl of cereal and glass of orange juice are not enough to tide me to lunch. I start "thinking" about food way too early in the day. So I have started adding a piece of toast with peanut butter, and this seems to be enough.

finallyfull

big breakfast

Post by finallyfull » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Still eating a good breakfast after 2 months, and it's still helping. Still having too many red days, but I feel physically satisfied except for the hour before a meal, every day. That makes a huge difference: my mind is not on food, I have no primal sense of deprivation that threatens to eat Tokyo the first chance it gets, and I feel confident I won't have to scratch my head this time next year wondering how my weight crept up to a level I never wanted it to reach.

Also think I have truly conquered eating three good meals (including big breakfast) on all S days. Makes a big difference!

Peace. Enjoyment. Sanity. Moderation.

Shortformyweight

Post by Shortformyweight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 pm

If I eat a breakfast with a lot of protein, I tend to feel more satisfied and it takes longer for me to get hungry. Heck, I've had days where I had a late breakfast around 10:30-11, so ate an omelette or something big like that, stuffed with veggies, and that would be the only meal I had all day because I didn't feel hungry again. I couldn't eat like that every day, though.

If I have a breakfast that is heavy on carbs and/or sugar - no bueno!