NEW!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Goodcooker

NEW!

Post by Goodcooker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:52 am

I thought about doing this a while ago. Started this way of eating. A couple of weeks into it my friend convinced me to start WW. History on me first--
3 years ago I quit smoking. Gained 25 pounds so fast it was mind blowing. I truly didn't know someone could gain weight that fast. I have been the last 2 1/2 years trying to lose it. I started low carbing. Was losing in good shape but it wasn't teaching me portion control. And come on.....how long can a person do that for? Went to counting calories. Nope...didn't work. Tried the 4 hour body diet. One can only eat chicken and black beans so much before they just give up. Also this particular diet promotes bingeing on weekends. That's just not healthy at any time. Even as I did it I knew it wasn't right. Lost about ten pounds though. Until I ate a sub and gained it all back!! And last but not least Weight Watchers. I don't think it's for me. For one thing it's expensive. I have lost and regained the same 6 pounds in the last three months about 3 times. The meetings are great, don't get me wrong. I love the support system that they offer. I think I will keep my membership for the winter so I can at least go weigh in and go to the meetings. I am anxious to start the No S. It seems to be just plain old common sense. My hubby is doing it with me. I will warn you all....I will have many questions and will probably wear out my welcome at times! lol. Wish me luck. I actually started yesterday and I did really well. I am also using the habitcal. I did notice my belly growling AWFUL lastnight in bed! It NEVER does that. I ate around 5:50 and went to bed at 10:00.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Welcome. A growling tummy isn't a sign that you need to eat.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nicest of the Damned

Re: NEW!

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:15 pm

mainemom wrote:I did notice my belly growling AWFUL lastnight in bed! It NEVER does that. I ate around 5:50 and went to bed at 10:00.
Have you been eating between dinner and bedtime before you started No S? If you're used to eating at a particular time, you'll feel hungry at that time. But that doesn't mean you'll never get used to a new schedule. People who move from the east coast to California eventually eat their meals on Pacific time- they don't eat on Eastern time forever. The adjustment takes time, though, and there doesn't seem to be a way to speed it up.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Welcome to the group!

This is a very friendly group, and I think you're going to have to work awwwwwwful hard to wear out your welcome around here. :wink: Hehe!

I wish you lots of success!
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Starting BMI: 41.03/Current BMI: 33.53/Healthy BMI: 19-24

No S + Following "My Plate Guidelines"

desertmom

Post by desertmom » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi mainemom. I hear you on the diet-hopping. I've done my fair share during the past two years as well. I am loving the freedom of No S. I'm happy not to obsess about calories/points/carbs. It's a lot more peaceful in my brain now AND I've lost nearly 5 lbs in a week (of the 30 I wanted to lose). Best of luck to you!

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Q Have you been eating between dinner and bedtime before you started No S?

A: Yes I was. I found I was grazing all day! As long as stayed within my WW points I wasn't concerned and was also told not to be concerned by the meeting leader. So not having ANYTHING after dinner will be a challenge.

Welcome. A growling tummy isn't a sign that you need to eat.

A: Too funny. But you are right. My stomach growling has been such a foreign sound that I had to share it.

I'm happy not to obsess about calories/points/carbs. It's a lot more peaceful in my brain now AND I've lost nearly 5 lbs in a week (of the 30 I wanted to lose). Best of luck to you!

A: Not obsessing about calories/points/carbs will be so freeing! As you said peaceful in my brain. And Oh my GOSH....5 pounds??!! in a week? SUPER! Keep me informed on your progress.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:29 pm

In regards to questions: bring it!

I also caution you not to use the scale to measure your success, esp. at first. Some do lose right away; many don't. How you eat and what you weigh in a year is a better measure. Remember your experience with low carb and WW. (We do have some low carb-ers here, and vegetarians and vegans. The gamut.)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm

I also caution you not to use the scale to measure your success, esp. at first. Some do lose right away; many don't. How you eat and what you weigh in a year is a better measure

This is an issue for me. I put SOOO much stock into those little digital numbers down by my feet!! I know I shouldn't. But I do. I am at 169, I am 5.5 tall and my goal weight is 145. I really want to see progress on the scales. But I know there will be weeks that my weight won't budge. WW broke me in to that heartache! Right now I will concentrate on forming the three plates per day. One battle at a time, right? Thanks for taking your time to help me.

desertmom

Post by desertmom » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:17 pm

oolala53 wrote:
I also caution you not to use the scale to measure your success,
Which is really good advice! I honestly shouldn't have weighed myself today. My plan has been to weight 1x per week, which means not until Thursday. I need to put a fence around that law ;)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Actually, if you're going to weigh, I recommend daily weighing and once-a-week averaging. I did that for a few years, my weight going up all the time. :) The scale never stopped me from overeating. I now do this for one week at a time, 4x a year, just for the info to share.

After three years, I also monitor whether I am hungry for my meals at least an hour before hand. If not, I eat less or lighter foods. That is the only other measure I use. I guess not everyone can do it, but it's a personal dream, so I keep going. People were thin long before there were scales.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 am

I will try the weighing daily and weekly average like you mentioned. I need to get an accurate scale. The one I was using showed me 6 pounds lighter than the one at the WW meeting. I have had it for years. Thank you all so much for your thoughts, well wishes, and advice. It has been like having my own personal private "meeting".

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Yes, aren't the people and support here great? Thank you all for your kindness and patience.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 pm

I love love love the forum here. It's like having a meeting, but you don't have to tell anybody your weight (unless you want to), and you don't have to go out to a meeting. I can post here with Nicest Baby in her swing or her crib, and get up to nurse her anytime if I need to. I don't have to get her in her car seat (which she doesn't always like), worry about finding a private place to nurse, or drive to get to a meeting when I'm tired.

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:13 pm

EXACTLY Nicest! So so true. You all should have seen the look on hubby's face when I told him we had to swing into the hardware store tonight so I can pick up a sledge hammer! Too funny!
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball