How to avoid stress eating?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

How to avoid stress eating?

Post by gk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:08 pm

Anybody out there find something that works for when you're stressed? If I'm in that situation I mindlessly eat whatever is around me, preferably chocolate, to deal with whatever has come my way.

I've heard of exercise or keeping your hands busy with a new hobby, etc., but if you are working or can't stop to relax or have time right then to go for a walk, etc., what do you do that is the equivalent to downing a chocolate bar????

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:43 am

Keep no chocolate around so that you can mindlessly eat it. Also, distract yourself by doing or thinking about something else.

From French Kids Eat Everything: Avoid emotional eating. Food is not a pacifier, a distraction, a toy, a bribe, a reward or a substitute for discipline.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

desertmom

Post by desertmom » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:26 am

I work from home and if I am downstairs near my kitchen, I am tempted to graze. The best thing for me is to stay away from there between 1 and 4 (my weak time). Basically change your environment (get rid of offending foods), leave your environment, or get busy doing something that keeps your mind off of food. I like to listen to music or podcasts too keep my mind off snacking.

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:16 am

gk,
I can relate to that feeling and the situation...being stressed and nowhere to go. (US Navy watchfloor shifts)
If you can control your environment, keep your work area free from trigger foods; that really makes a difference.
First of all, strengthening the NoS habits will be of great help, in the long run.
I drink a hot beverage, coffee, hot (instant) broth, or tea, making sure I have a tea I really like on hand for emergencies. There are also good tasting teas available that have a calming effect - just a reminder. Chewing gum has saved me often in the past.
Changing your environment for a short time and doing some slow, deep breathing can be helpful (info on the internet), also going for a short, brisk walk (around the office), talking to a colleague, if you can.
Short and to the point positive/faith affirmations have helped me much.
Actually, before you go all out during those stressful moments, it's better to eat *something,* and healthy, like 1-2 apples, citrus fruit, popcorn... something chewy/crunchy. Naturally, it's better not to eat anything, establishing those NoS habits.
Being prepared for possible stressful moments/days is half of the solution.
Hoping someone here on the boards can help you :)
Last edited by heatherhikes on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Deep breathing, stretching, a few "mantras", i.e. chocolate won't solve the problem.

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Stress is my main trigger for binge eating, and in my job there is an endless supply of chocolates / biscuits that I cannot get away from, whilst real food and drinks are banned from the nurses station, and I cannot leave the room.
Previously (and still occasionally on an S day) I binged whenever I got a stressful situation.

No S is helping me to deal with this as the N days forbid it, and I have also started reading the Beck Diet Solution which has been reccomended to me by several No S ers in this forum. It teaches cognitive behavioural therapy techniques that help you stick to your diet when the going gets tough, is very compatible with No S and is infact designed to be used with a diet of your choosing. It is helping me learn to deal with stress in other ways.

mulliganagain

Post by mulliganagain » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 pm

o gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawsh - work is the worst for me! :shock: I agree with the advice of simply not having the food around if it's possible... there's been a couple of days this week at work when I was glad I didn't have any snacks in the office because if I did I know I would have had a fail day. :roll:
Sincerely,
Sarah H.

Starting BMI: 41.03/Current BMI: 33.53/Healthy BMI: 19-24

No S + Following "My Plate Guidelines"

emmay

Post by emmay » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:51 pm

I second the Beck Diet Solution. One of the techniques from the book is to say to yourself 'NO CHOICE'. As in, 'I am following the No S diet, eating at this time is not an option, eating sweets is not an option, NO CHOICE!'

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:38 pm

I think it would be a great trend if businesses agreed to "snack free" environments just like some places don't allow smoking. It wouldn't be policed or anything, but I love the idea of having employees agree that they don't bring in cookies and candy and all kinds of temptations. Maybe a one-day Christmas party exception or something. Our culture is embarassingly geared toward cramming our pie-holes all day, every day.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:53 am

I disagree that you should possibly eat better quality foods instead. Get into your head that eating NOTHING is the best policy because eating just reinforces using food for inappropriate purposes. It is just a habit and a misleading one because it keeps you thinking that you're missing out on something good if you skip the snacks. Keep reminding yourself that you had a good meal not long ago and you will again in a few hours. What you're really missing out on is developing a good appetite for your meals, which, take it from a stress eater for 38 years, is a much more enjoyable way to eat. (And I can be around all kinds of food at work and not want it because I want to enjoy my lunch!)

I do agree on using beverages. And gum. And distraction. And white knuckles.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gk

Post by gk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks for all the input everyone! Very helpful and much appreciated! :)

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 am

For moments when the white knuckles give out on you...
heddi55 wrote:Actually, before you go all out during those stressful moments, it's better to eat *something,* and healthy, like 1-2 apples, citrus fruit, popcorn... something chewy/crunchy. Naturally, it's better not to eat anything, establishing those NoS habits.
Let me elaborate on this...I remember, during extremely stressful moments, when not snacking was not an option. I HAD to have something, and it was, in my mind at the time, some "nerve food" - sweets. So, the better option would be and for emergencies only, to at least have something wholesome/crunchy...also considering the blood sugar balancing out. Not snacking is without question the right choice, and I know, as we advance and the *willpower muscles* develop, we'll be able to say *no* to snacking. But until then, live happens IMHO.

To eat or not to eat, that is the question :shock: :P :lol:
Anticipating a NoSious moderate week for us all

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 pm

For moments when the white knuckles give out on you...
heddi55 wrote:Actually, before you go all out during those stressful moments, it's better to eat *something,* and healthy, like 1-2 apples, citrus fruit, popcorn... something chewy/crunchy. Naturally, it's better not to eat anything, establishing those NoS habits.
Let me elaborate on this...I remember, during extremely stressful moments, when not snacking was not an option. I HAD to have something, and it was, in my mind at the time, some "nerve food" - sweets. So, the better option would be and for emergencies only, to at least have something wholesome/crunchy...also considering the blood sugar balancing out. Not snacking is without question the right choice, and I know, as we advance and the *willpower muscles* develop, we'll be able to say *no* to snacking. But until then, life happens IMHO.

To eat or not to eat, that is the question :shock: :P :lol:
Anticipating a NoSious moderate week for us all

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:19 am

I'm just saying that the feeling that I "have" to have something is usually an illusion. But yes, if it seems super compelling, there is an option on No S- beverages. I'd say it's preferable to have something to drink, milk if you feel you need something substantial, just because it's so much less likely to overdo something you drink. Who really binges on milk? (Milk has been shown to have the same "filling" characteristic that solid foods do.)
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 am

oolala, thanks for answering back.
Certainly, it's usually an illusion, and NoS beverages between meals should be the solution and can be very helpful :wink: