the s day problem

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jellybeans01

the s day problem

Post by jellybeans01 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 pm

so I give myself usually only one s day. I look forward to it and dream about it, then at the end of my s day I feel like crap. I try doing no s events, but I love the structure of having the one day. Of course I know that s days are not for overdoing it and the book even suggests "sometimes on days that start with s" so my goal is to really learn to manage those s days.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 am

It took me more than a couple of years to have reasonable S days. Still totally worth it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ironchef

Re: the s day problem

Post by ironchef » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 am

jellybeans01 wrote:so I give myself usually only one s day.
Is there a reason for only one? I find that if I overdo Saturday and feel blah, then my Sunday s day is much more reasonable and enjoyable. If I only had one day, I can imagine the impulse to overeat on that one opportunity might be heightened?

My s days are certainly not ideal, but they've become a lot calmer over the past 6 months. Hang in there!

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 am

I love my two S-days; during the week, knowing that the weekend surely is coming...gives me a sense of security in my diethead state of mind. To have this *free weekend* in the back of my mind is extremely helpful to me. One S-day wouldn't suffice, safety-valve (Reinhard's words) not enough of an impact.
In the beginning I put too much pressure on myself when planning S-days, 1-2 snacks and what and when...that made me feel deprived and I started to overdo it. I let completely loose now with a little planning, though. So now, through the habits I've formed during the weeks...my weekend meals have mostly and automatically become like the weekday meals with a few treats thrown in.
Another pro two S-day point: On Saturdays I have this voice i.t. back of my mind, saying: "No reason to go wild on sweets...tomorrow's another free day." And I can sense myself relaxing. And by Sunday night I've had enough, anyway.
The only three things I watch out for are:
a) Usually and out of habit I start with the sweets later in the day, knowing and expecting I'll have something scrumptious that afternoon. It's easy to wait.
b) I don't have a huge amount of sweets at one time. That would wake up the cookie monster and make me ravenous. But that's MY metabolism.
c) I loosely pre-portion, e.g., 1 bowl salad, 1 mini bowl chips, 1/2 glass milk, as situation calls for or mood strikes.
My weekends aren't perfect (what is perfect?) but pretty sane, I might say. Yesterday, i.e., brunch, afternoon coffee time with 1 piece of chocolate cake and Latte Macchiato, 1 medium glass Sprite, small dinner and later 2 bowls of salty snacks. If I had wanted I would've eaten more yesterday. Starting this morning, then, I say to myself: "The weekend is surely coming. It is *mine.* I can wait. There is a time for everything, and TODAY is the time for establishing my habit. Yes!" :P

I, almost subconsciously, try to walk the fine line between chaos and too much self-discipline...my *willpower muggies* ever growing :lol: