Calorie question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Goodcooker

Calorie question

Post by Goodcooker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 am

I am doing really well with this. I got through my first weekend. I had a couple of brownies and a bowl of pita chips Saturday night while I watched "Ripper Street". (excellent show by the way) Here is my Q. I am logging everything I eat even though I am doing No S. Just for my own curiosity sake. There have been a few days that I am barely getting a 1000 cals. Now I am not that hungry. I am a little hungry when I go to bed but nothing that I can't handle. When I am done a meal I am full. But...everything you read about calorie intake claims that if you don't get enough calories your metabolism will "shut down" and you will gain weight easily. They scare a person to death. lol. It's hard to know what is right. Should I stop logging what I eat and not worry about it?
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm

My vote would be to stop logging and don't worry about it!! I know we do have some folks on here that do both...NoS and count calories. I am not one of them. :wink: Just eat your three plates of food a day. If you feel satisfied, don't worry about it!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Another possible "problem" with eating too few calories is not getting enough nutrients.

For adding calories without increasing food intake I'd suggest adding more calorie dense foods, including fats. Butter and olive oil are good places to start.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:20 pm

:lol: It cracks me up how overweight and obese people worry about eating too little.
We tend to stuff ourselves full for days on end.
and then after just several days of eating lightly,
worry that we've damaged our metabolism from eating too little.

Personally, I log everything, but what I NEVER DO,
is consciously work to get my calories HIGHER.

Most people tend to eat in cycles,
some days they are less hungry than others,
some days they eat higher calories than others.
The AVERAGE over time is what matters
for BOTH metabolism and for weight-loss.
If you are following No S, don't worry about increasing your food's caloric density.
There will be times when that will happen on its own ... despite your best efforts.
:wink:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:44 pm

I agree bright angel. I won't worry about it then. The reason my calorie intake is low is because I eat allot of veggies and raw greens. I just happen to love them. They fill me up. You hear contstantly that the reason people are obese is because people have put their systems into "starvation mode" because they haven't eaten "enough". Now mind you, I have always thought that statement might be wrong. However, this is what the "experts" are claiming. I will continue to log my food but I will not panic if I am 1000 or below. As you said, I am not going to make it a mission to "eat more calories" if I feel satisified.
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 am

Yes, just don't allow yourself to think, well, I haven't eaten much, so I'll eat more now, unless you are legitimately hungry.

It takes quite an extended time of calorie deficit to get to true starvation mode. However, you don't have to be in starvation mode to get residual urges to overeat. Most people will have no physical problems from ignoring these urges and eating moderately. Almost anything can stimulate those urges, since we have hundreds of food cues. They don't go away from just a few weeks of not responding.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:21 am

yes to what Bright Angel says. If you really want to keep all your calories well, that is your choice though it sounds like your body seems pleased with what it is getting. Being a little hungry at bedtime is fine.