Weight Loss Myths

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Weight Loss Myths

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:53 pm

Interesting article in the New York Times: Myths of Weight Loss Are Plentiful.

One of the facts is interesting. Plans that provide food lead to greater weight loss. I think an article that someone here referred to recently said that they people who lost weight on those plans didn't do well at maintenance with "real food."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

JustForToday

Post by JustForToday » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 pm

"Add lots of fruits and vegetables to your diet to lose weight or not gain as much."

As an idea "not yet proven" I find this one most interesting on the list in that piece. I know its good to eat fruits and veggies, but my personal experience with trying to "add" more of them in is that is all just amounts to MORE food, which screws up my digestive system and imbalances whatever chemicals it is that make me feel hunger and fullness in a reasonable, normal pattern. Eating more fruits and vegetables has NEVER helped me accomplish anything except eating more fruits and vegetables. I'm beginning to think they just might not be any holier than any other type of whole food.

One caveat about the original New York Times article though - NPR.org is carrying an AP piece on this article that reads:

"Independent researchers say the authors have some valid points. But many of the report's authors also have deep financial ties to food, beverage and weight-loss product makers — the disclosures take up half a page of fine print in the journal.

"It raises questions about what the purpose of this paper is" and whether it's aimed at promoting drugs, meal replacement products and bariatric surgery as solutions, said Marion Nestle, a New York University professor of nutrition and food studies."

So.... hmmm... who knows. I think I'm swearing off as much weight loss/diet advice as possible these days. Just focusing on stopping overeating at this point!

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:21 pm

JustForToday wrote:"Add lots of fruits and vegetables to your diet to lose weight or not gain as much."

As an idea "not yet proven" I find this one most interesting on the list in that piece. I know its good to eat fruits and veggies, but my personal experience with trying to "add" more of them in is that is all just amounts to MORE food, which screws up my digestive system and imbalances whatever chemicals it is that make me feel hunger and fullness in a reasonable, normal pattern. Eating more fruits and vegetables has NEVER helped me accomplish anything except eating more fruits and vegetables. I'm beginning to think they just might not be any holier than any other type of whole food.

One caveat about the original New York Times article though - NPR.org is carrying an AP piece on this article that reads:

"Independent researchers say the authors have some valid points. But many of the report's authors also have deep financial ties to food, beverage and weight-loss product makers — the disclosures take up half a page of fine print in the journal.
I suspect that food makers don't want diets to tell people to eat less of anything, because that would make it hard for the producers of whatever it is to make money.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:41 am

Green tea, the only thing green tea does for me is loosens my bowels...

As far as "adding fruits and vegetables are concerned" if a person "adds" the herbivore fare plus everything else hey eat, then that is just extra calories...but if they do, as I read Christiaan Barnard, replace food items with fruits and vegetables (why isn't it vegetables and fruit? Who decided the order? This could be a Seinfeld episode...) then that makes sense. (See Christiaan Barnard: 50 Ways to a Healthy Heart)
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:13 pm

In my personal experience, adding more fruits and vegetables just leads to bloating, and keeps me unsatisfied because it's not what I *really* want to be eating. So F&V are done "in moderation" along with everything else.