3 pound gain

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Goodcooker

3 pound gain

Post by Goodcooker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Well, in two weeks I have gained three pounds. No fail days at all. S days done in moderation. Shovelglove every day. Eating about 1300 cals per day. Keeping carbs under 120. I feel heavier and more bloated than ever. I didn't have to get on the scales to find out if I have gained. I feel it all over. :cry: Well... I will keep at it. Three plates a day.
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Well, maybe the shovel glove is adding some muscle? It will work, two weeks ins't a long enough "sample." My "guess" is that as you shovel glove your muscles are taking the energy stored in you adipose cells and using that. (Mike Mentzer discusses this switch in energy in one of his Heavy Duty lectures.)

So, although we don't "turn fat into muscle" as we used to think when we were lifting weights in the 70's (Yes I used to watch the Howard Cosell Variety Show), muscles will take the energy from your fat cells, probably because you are under eating, and maintain that way.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Josee

First Day

Post by Josee » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Well mainemom, I am not an expert in the No S Diet since today is my first day but, is it possible that your weight gain could be due to the fact that you have been doing the "shovelglove" everyday and gained in muscle mass?

I have found out about the No S Diet through Canadian Health Magazine, published by the Canadian Medical Association. I looked into it yesterday and I think I can live with a "diet" like this one. I am 47 have never dieted in my life and never needed to. I have always exercised and ate pretty well though, but in the last 2 years I have put on +/- 12 lbs that I can't seem to loose.
So it's a beginning, I am eager and we'll see what happens.[/b][/i]
jhoude

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:38 pm

I would say keep at it. A week might not be enough to tell. I have gained about that much in a week before, even when I thought I was doing everything right. Sometimes it's sodium, etc. Just stick with it and keep doing the best you can!
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:31 pm

There are so many reasons you could gain 3 pounds. I wouldn't worry about it. I also wouldn't weigh (I don't own a scale). Our weight generally doesn't stay stable. There are variations here and there depending on many things, including sodium intake.

In terms of calories in/calories out, you would have had to eat over 8 extra days worth of food to gain 3 pounds. You haven't done that.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Thank you all for your responses. I will keep at it. I like how I have mentally felt eating this way. I do not feel deprived. I am truly hungry before meals but I think that's the whole point of eating, right? I am anxious to continue. I really think this is going to work for me.
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball