Traditional Dieters' Reactions

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MJ7910

Traditional Dieters' Reactions

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 pm

So I told some people about NoS and some didn't like the idea at all. One person said "I would stay with the plan [meaning Ndays only] 7 days a week and not indulge on the weekends. Weekend indulgence sounds alarming to me, a recipe for disaster. If you must snack on weekends make sure it is only veggies or fruits you are snacking on."
The whole point of this is so you are not restricting stuff all the time. Sure there could and probably will be some wild S days but I don't see how restricting stuff all the time could possibly be good.
Oh well, I guess you'll always have your naysayers.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:02 pm

I think a lot of dieters want to justify their restriction and calorie counting :) I know I would! I was having a conversation with a co-worker recently about how ridiculous it was that she couldn't eat soup or a bagel and had to measure her milk. NoS is simple, not easy, but simple and sustainable. I never explain it as a diet, more a new and more moderate way of eating. I often just say 'oh I'm not eating sweet things or snacking during the week'. That pretty much explains why I say no to things that are offered and doesn't usually incur a lot of questions or unwanted advice!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:21 am

I highly recommend NOT talking about it to anybody until you have been at least 80% compliant for three months or more, and even then, let them bring it up. It is part of diet head to talk talk talk about eating plans. People get high on the anticipation and hope. Then they falter when the going gets rough. Also, don't give indoctrinated people the chance to shake your resolve. YOU are the sane one. They are all defending the image of what it is, not the reality. Just remember: millions of people in slim cultures already live this way. It does not have to be proved.

No S lets you move your thoughts and efforts to other pursuits. It doesn't take all day to plan to eat three simple meals. I think that's one reason some people lose interest. They are used to dieting being a part-time job.

Resolve to become a person for whom food is not really a problem, so you have many other things in life to think and talk about.

Let the results do the talking. I've been asked about my (continued) losses, so some people know. Otherwise, most people just see me enjoying my meals. They might notice I skip dessert but because I don't talk about it and they see me take the pizza or ooh and aahh over the other savory selections, they don't think I'm dieting. I'm not! And neither are you. You are simply learning to eat moderately permanently.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:37 am

I agree about not telling others about it. Even if asked, I'm kind of vague. I just tell others I eat sensibly.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 am

I will suggest No S to others and let them know I have been successful, but most of the time I don't say much.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

jasper

Post by jasper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:02 am

Totally agree with oolala about not talking about it to anyone.
That sort of turns it into "yet another diet ".

Of course any way of eating (including noS) is a "diet" but noS is not a diet in the conventional sense of the word. It's a kind of non diet !

Talking about the diet you are "on" ( which implies that at some point in the future you will be "off" it) reinforces diethead mentality. And how successful has that been for us in the past?

I am new to this . Been on the nondiet for just 5 weeks but have can't rememeber feeling so at peace with myself - in a quite far reaching way, not just related to food , eating, and body.

And I lost 9 pounds in the first month

:)

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 pm

i have been thinking, maybe those who are constantly on "diets" think that you have to be depriving yourself of something or it just can't work.
I have been guilty of this thinking myself. The first time I tried NoS, my S days were pretty wild and crazy. I gave up because I thought there was no way I could do this, it was making me crave sweets. But then I learned a little moderation goes a long way. If we practice these habits during the week, even if we have some crazy Sdays, the overall picture is going to be better if we stick with plan. That means just work on Ndays first, worry about S days later. I think had I stuck with it the first time I could have seen some awesome results. Even just 4 days into it Iam seeing less bloating, I'm looking more like my old self. No idea how Sdays will be... but the nice thing is, no looking ahead at restaurant menus trying to plan what is the lowest calorie item I can get for brunch! I can go there and not even know what I want to eat! What a great feeling! :) So much better than diet mentality of "better not eat that it will make you go off your diet"... so much better!
but yeah, you can't tell people because they have already made up their minds it won't work for them.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:37 pm

My plan is to stick with it this time, get results, and then in order to thank Reinhard, I will sing it from the mountains (or at least post about it on Facebook).

But for now, I've just let DH know so he would know not to buy me any snacks.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 pm

MJ7910 wrote:i have been thinking, maybe those who are constantly on "diets" think that you have to be depriving yourself of something or it just can't work.
Exactly, that's what I think. Also, people are beat over the head with the "need" to snack or your metabolism slows down. So they probably are incredulous that 3 meals a day is sufficient. Or they might be offended (jealous) if you turn away a snack/dessert at the office. Misery loves company.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:06 pm

yes i think it is just that about the "oh you should snack or you'll slow down your metabolism" garbage. that line of thinking always made me overdo it during "snacktime" to the point that i wasn't even hungry for my meal.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Don't look at this, unless you want your heartrate elevated.

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Actually, my heartrate is being elevated just thinking about all that 'you must snack' rubbish.

I'm getting angry realising what an evil little tool that is for the advertisers of snack food! I could NEVER resist a bite of something, and I even had a term for wanting to eat without feeling hungry... 'peckish'... and I still didn't realise that that was the problem! Somehow my sneaky brain had fooled me into thinking it was healthy (when really it just wanted a sugar fix!)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:18 am

Well, I have been following a chat at an exercise site. I don't add anything, just read. And usually I end up leaving shaking my head. I have come to recognize it as food fear. It goes beyond carbs, fats or protein: milk, noodles, non-organic foods, sugar, etc., if it has taste it is often verboten.

Just eat in moderation. We know that. I think that's why I like Anthony Bourdain, he enjoys life.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm curious what traditional dieters think of the multiple successful No S'ers, whose metabolisms haven't slowed and made them obese. Do they think that these No S'ers are anomalies? With proof of this much real success, you would think this would force the traditional dieters to accept that maybe snacks aren't necessary. But they continue on in denial that No S is "not good for you."