Health tip that sound like the No S Diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SpiritSong

Health tip that sound like the No S Diet

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Today on Facebook, The Perfect 10 Diet posted this:
"Health tip: P 10 is about eating real rich food and losing weight without going humgry. To delay hunger, here are some tips. Have a 1/2 to 1 serving of fat with each meal. Eat more raw food such salads, uncooked broccoli. Have some protein with each meal. Stay away from all forms of sugar. Drink plenty of water or calorie free iced drinks. Stick to 3 meals. Do more aerobic exercise. Have 8 hours of sleep. Now the pounds melt away." (emphasis added)

I like that it not only includes the three meal advice, but also advice about how to delay hunger.

Heard any advice that sounds oh so familiar?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:08 am

When I start feeling hungry for dinner early, I look back at my lunch and often realize I didn't put in any cheese or nuts or whatever. The serving is hardly ever very big, but it seems to make a difference. I've never experimented to see if the same thing would happen if I gave myself bigger portions of other foods, but I don't really want to. The volume is about right. The advantage of fats is that a small amount can increase satiety so effectively, at least for me.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Maybe I'll try adding some nuts to my breakfast then. The mornings are the worst "I wanna snack" time for me.

wosnes

Re: Health tip that sound like the No S Diet

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:03 pm

From my own experience, I think adding fat to meals is what delays hunger.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:46 am

I know I need a decent mix of protein and fat, in order to delay hunger. For example, one meal that works well for me, is a large salad with plenty of veggies, a breaded chicken patty, 1-2 T of nuts or seeds, and 2 T of my favorite Annie's dressing. I realize it isn't 100 percent perfect because of the chicken patty, but I feel great afterwards, and I stay full for several hours. :D

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:36 am

SpiritSong (I love your name :)),
delaying hunger for me means eating enough and eating more protein, fat, real food versus processed, crunchy freggies (fruit/vegetables); no so-called *light* or *diet* foods. Also I've found, when I eat food that I really enjoy, when I keep myself busy and active and when I look at a little hunger as something positive...then it's no problem to wait for the next meal.
With a *little hunger* I mean hungry for an hour or two versus eating every second day (poverty-stricken people).
Love and peace to us all

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 pm

heddi55 wrote:SpiritSong (I love your name :)),
delaying hunger for me means eating enough and eating more protein, fat, real food versus processed, crunchy freggies (fruit/vegetables); no so-called *light* or *diet* foods. Also I've found, when I eat food that I really enjoy, when I keep myself busy and active and when I look at a little hunger as something positive...then it's no problem to wait for the next meal.
With a *little hunger* I mean hungry for an hour or two versus eating every second day (poverty-stricken people).
Love and peace to us all

In French Kids Eat Everything Karen Le Billon writes that the French believe it's okay to feel hunger between meals, but they don't want anyone to be hungry (never having enough to eat). The feeling of an empty stomach between meals is considered to be normal and healthy.
French parents don't mind if their children feel hungry before meals. They believe that it is better to wait longer, and to eat a larger, healthier meal at regular intervals. The French even have a proverb that expresses their attitude towards hunger: "Bon rpas doit commencer par la faim. This proverb (literally, a good meal must start with hunger) means something like "hunger is the best seasoning."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."