Mental Focus

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jld141

Mental Focus

Post by jld141 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:58 am

Ok so I have probably tried No S a dozen times and failed each time before the 21 days. Does anyone have any tips to keep the mental focus? I know how much better I feel on No S, I know how much easier it is than counting calories and how sustainable and smart it is, but for some reason when I'm the slightest bit hungry, the slightest bit stressed, or the slightest bit bored, I just go crazy. I also tend to be a closet eater. This results in guilty feelings and making a new "resolve" to START tomorrow, but I never last more than a few days without failing miserably. I know I can't lose enough weight when I keep doing this. In fact, I think I may even be gaining weight from all of these episodes

If anyone has any advice on how to keep my mind focused before going crazy I'd really appreciate it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:00 am

When you have a failure, don't give up. Just mark it and move on. Don't try to be perfect, just do your best.

Remember, the only reason to eat is because it's time to eat. Even hunger isn't necessarily a good reason to eat. Find something to distract yourself when you're hungry, stressed or bored.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 am

sounds like you know what triggers you. maybe try and just focus on what triggers you and try and think about other things you can do while experiencing those triggers? that is what I'm working on right now.
i haven't made it 21 days yet but i know i can. i have to just focus really hard monday through friday. saturday and sunday i let down my guard completely and just live life, doing whatever i want to do, but not being an idiot. and if i am an idiot during the first 21 days and i'm an idiot on an S day, it is not really a big deal because it's not an Nday that I did that. and i think over time Sdays will become less wild. i finally get to not feel deprived and enjoy when i want to. what a great feeling
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

vmsurbat

Re: Mental Focus

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:09 am

jld141 wrote:Ok so I have probably tried No S a dozen times and failed each time before the 21 days.
I don't track on habitcal or check-in, but I sincerely doubt that I've perfectly followed NoS for 21 days straight in all the 4+ years I've been NoSing. And I consider myself a very successful NoSer! It truly has become a way of life for me.

There is no magic about 21 straight days of perfect NoS. A slip-up is not a fail. A major binge is not a fail. NoS is a way of life. No "starting/restarting" thinking about tomorrow or even today. Do we start and restart life? No, we just continue on from where we are, aiming to make the best choices at the present time.

The best antidote to diet-head is to arm yourself with new thoughts. Look through the glossary sticky and get a few mottoes/mental pictures that resonate with you. My personal favorites include: One=done, more=sore (when I'm tempted to overeat/have seconds/snack), mark it and move on, 3 meals a day=3 blessings many don't enjoy; eat when it is time to eat (from the book), slow down and savor.

I know some people find it very helpful to actually write out their battle weapons against diethead and review them daily or post them on the frig or where ever they find it helpful to have at the ready.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:09 am

vmsurbat, my sentiments, totally! Thank you for posting this, for all of us but especially the newcomers who need our encouragement...coming in from out of the rain...of *diet world.*
I wish I could give you a big hug. :wink:

21-day challenges haven't worked for me in the past, I hope they work for some people.
I am Miss Perfect for three weeks and then flop, because I perceive it in my head as another diet...
What I started to do is, I mark the meals (check mark) and exercise (Ex) I do each day on a sheet of paper on my refrigerator door, the simpler, the better.
I do mark the days as green or red, but slip-ups I don't mark, just the meals, to see the general trend in weeks/months to come.
For me I've found, the simpler, the better I can practice my chosen way of moderate eating, which is NoS (there are various ways to eat moderately).
NoS is definitely not a diet for me, merely a structure, template, a gentle suggestion to keep my eating in line, whereby I also *fill in* my food selections --- pure freedom within the loosely set up parameters of NoS - PERFECT, INGENIOUS. 8) :D :D

PS: Vicky, you are one of my favorite contributors here. Thank you for your wise and at the same time down-to-earth comments; truly enriching and encouraging for me and for many, I'm sure. BTW, I'll add your above post to my stick to print later.

Have all a wonderful weekend, my NoS friends