Shopping

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ThomsonsPier

Shopping

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:51 pm

I've noticed a lot of people on this forum seem to list problems with finding the time to shop and the 'random and probably useless statistics'part of my brain is now wondering to what kind of a schedule you all adhere for said activity and where you buy your food.

I am quite lucky, as there is a good local farmers' market every two weeks near where I live so I can acquire fresh produce with relative ease. I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this and how you plan your shopping to facilitate your eating habits.

Apologies if this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't see anything on the board.

Owen.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:12 pm

I make a weekly menu, then the grocery list from that, then I make one shopping trip to the Super Walmart. That's it.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:33 pm

We used to do something similar to Jan when we lived in Leeds. However, the Netherlands' lack of large supermarkets and our living arrangements (no car) made that totally unworkable here. Also, I'm not very good at deciding what I fancy eating a week in advance, so rarely make up a meal plan. I just went by what looked good to me at any given time, with a slight tweak towards whatever items happen to be on special offer in the shops that week.

Now I write my husband a short grocery list almost daily, and he picks up the items on the shopping list from the supermarket, greengrocers and (occasionally) the butchers during his lunchbreak or on his way home from work.

About once a month, we do a really big shop and fill two huge rucksacks and cycle back with them. About once a quarter, we order a lot of stuff online for delivery. That takes care of tins, toilet paper, kitty litter etc etc.

It took a while to get used to it, and I think we are spending a bit more on our groceries by doing it this way, but fortunately we're not in a position where we have to worry too much about that.

C.
CaroleJo

navin

Post by navin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:26 pm

I'm with Jan - most of the time I make a weekly menu and get everything at Kroger. But I don't do this all the time... Sometimes though I get exotic and go to a Mexican or Indian grocery store and attempt to prepare some international cuisine. If I stumble upon the farmer's market, sometimes I'll see what looks good and then plan a meal around that.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.