New and nervous

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kittykat150

New and nervous

Post by Kittykat150 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:53 pm

Hello everyone. I am in the Maintenance phase of a very popular accounting diet and looking for a lifestyle diet that is more live able. I like what I see in the No-S Diet. I have been on it for two weeks. I am afraid to weigh myself, though. I am using a habit calendar as suggested to try to get out of the weighing/tracking constantly vigilant mentality. I can't believe how hard it is not to track points and weigh myself. I want to trust myself to live without thinking about food so much. I am not even trying to lose weight anymore. I am at a healthy weight. I just want to stay here happily. But my Weekends are scaring me. Eating whatever I want makes me nervous but eating only "on a diet" makes me sigh....Tell me to stick with this plan, please!....
Thanks so much.
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:04 am

KittyKat, if a dumpy middle aged guy like me can meet the 21 day challenge, then everyone else can stick to it as well. As you said, work the habit, don't stress about it being a diet.

Keep at it.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:11 am

Sometimes is the key word. Sometimes on days that start with s. It is not a free for all 2 days.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:32 am

i just started out too. i have 1 week under my belt. i'm doing the best i can 1 day at a time and that's all i can tell you. last time i gave up too quickly but i think i can make it work this time. my plan is sticking to my 3 meals, making them healthy and satisfying. on s days i will just do whatever for now, try to listen to hunger cues as much as possible and try to not be frantic or overeating every second of the day! this weekend was a little wild but i did stop overdoing it when i felt overfull so that is a step in the right direction. just focus on ndays for now and try to not feel guilt! getting away from that stupid guilt feeling is the first step in breaking the diet mentality.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:38 am

Welcome, Kitty! I also did the diet where you have to count points and it seriously messed up my thinking about food. No-S is very helpful in getting over that. Hang in there - take it slow - this is something you can do for the rest of your life, so you have plenty of time to get it right.

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Thank you all for your kind encouragement. I definitely will try to be patient and get rid of my diet mentality. So sick of counting every bite! I am not going to weigh myself this month either. Yikes!
:shock: Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Welcome Kittykat!

After reading your initial post and thinking about others that express similar sentiments, it's amazing to me that people have so much anxiety about eating normally. Three meals a day with occasional snacks and sweet treats is how everyone ate before we had all these weight problems.

When I was growing up (1950s and 1960s), we all ate three meals daily, kids usually had an after school snack, there might have been dessert after dinner or a small evening snack (a bowl of popcorn that everyone shared) and it was very rare to see anyone who was significantly overweight.

Eating what you want doesn't mean eating everything you want and as much of it as you want.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:16 pm

wosnes wrote:Eating what you want doesn't mean
eating everything you want and as much of it as you want.
So, Very True !! :roll:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:24 pm

jellybeans01 wrote:Sometimes is the key word. Sometimes on days that start with s. It is not a free for all 2 days.
But if it ends up being a free for all, there's nothing wrong with that. It still fits within the No S rules. And even if it doesn't fit within someone's interpretation of the rules, it's still miles and miles above snacking, grazing, and stuffing yourself during the week on top of the weekend.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:51 pm

leafy_greens wrote:
jellybeans01 wrote:Sometimes is the key word. Sometimes on days that start with s. It is not a free for all 2 days.
But if it ends up being a free for all, there's nothing wrong with that. It still fits within the No S rules. And even if it doesn't fit within someone's interpretation of the rules, it's still miles and miles above snacking, grazing, and stuffing yourself during the week on top of the weekend.
i agree. initially it may feel like that. but from what i have read from others success stories, it does get better! s days are eventually about doing what you want. usually most people dont' want to overeat once they experience 5 days of good habits on Ndays for a while. Sdays may start being 1-2 treats only. my first real S-weekend was more than I planned but I decided beating myself up was not the answer. i know over time they will get more moderate, based on other people's experiences.

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:33 pm

I have had two weekends of S-days so far. And I didn't go crazy. Just ate out a few times. I guess my discomfort is that I am so used to being on a diet all seven days of the week that eating what I choose to eat, not what I have allotted to eat for my daily tallies is unnerving. I did not realize I was so rigid during my weight loss phase until I gave myself some freedom here on Maintenance. I have not binged. I am just not used to eating without judgement. That's the ultimate goal: feeding myself like a normal person, enjoying it and not judging so much.
I'm starting to feel like a freak as I write this. Why have I made something as natural as eating such an angst-filled chore? It's a shame. I'm changing this.
You are all very kind and I thank you.
Kat

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:24 am

Very good insights. And if you can really let real satiety be your guide, which will take some learning to get, and some real time, I think you'll find some of that normalcy you'd like. Pretend you live in a country that loves to admire and savor food, but hates the idea of overdoing it. It's just not done. Revel, yes. Gorge, no.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:05 pm

oolala53 wrote:Pretend you live in a country that loves to admire and savor food, but hates the idea of overdoing it. It's just not done. Revel, yes. Gorge, no.
Love this idea! Exactly what I need to do! I've been trying to do it but my first Sdays usually lead to a free for all. gotta stop it from being like that and actually enjoy myself!