Diet drinks, diabetes and what to drink now?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Diet drinks, diabetes and what to drink now?

Post by Over43 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:32 am

Yahoo! I think Yahoo is responsible for the collective dumbing down of the US.

Last week was a headline concerning diet drinks and diabetes. The research they were touting suggested one can of diet soda raises a person's chance of diabetes 33%.

This disturbs me, last year it was diet drinks cause more weight gain than regular pop. I have never found that to be true personally, but I'm not a nutrition scientist.

I like Fresca, Diet Coke, Mio, etc. It has never caused weight gain, and lot of people where I live are getting cancer. My guess is our well water since we live in an agricultural area with a lot of chemicals.

So, what to drink now? :roll:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:33 am

I'm not keen on sweet drinks so usually just drink tea. I haven't looked into the stories about diet drinks (because I don't drink them often), but I know it can be difficult to pinpoint cause and effect. For instance, overweight people tend to automatically order diet drinks - I know I do. We drink diet drinks because we're overweight, not the other way round. I did read that consumption of diet drinks might be associated with sugar cravings (so possibly people who prefer sweet diet drinks eat more sugary food overall? I don't know). Anyway, for me tea with a dash of milk works and I'm hoping studies don't find out that it's terrible for me!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:38 pm

One can? Or one can per day?

Well, really, we have to know we're always taking a chance with diet anything. I roll the dice sometimes on that one, but not nearly as often as I used to.

If you're really worried about the local water, it might be time for a good water filter. Sorry! :roll:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:04 pm

I think it was per week. (2 1/2 glasses a week).

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:12 pm

if you're worried about drinking water with chemicals, then definitely dump the diet soda...
if you like the fizzy stuff, i suggest seltzer with a small splash of juice, or just flavored non-sweetened seltzer, like lemon or raspberry flavor...
i've recently been enjoying iced green tea...sometimes i put one or two spoons of sugar in it, or i have it plain...i make it first thing in the morning, in a large glass quart jar, then i have it in the fridge to sip on all day...
good luck...
and the reason that diet soda is linked to gaining weight, is that the fake sweeteners wreak havoc with our satiety center, just as msg does, and makes you want to eat/drink more...
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

ferdberfle

Conclusions of studies

Post by ferdberfle » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:28 pm

There's one thing about these conclusions that really rankles me. As a scientist myself, I know that the number one maxim, when determining what the data say, is "correlation does not imply causation."

What does that mean? It means that, for example, the trend of people who drink diet sodas and have an increased chance (whatever that means) of getting diabetes, are not necessarily related.

To determine if it were true, one would have to control EVERY possible variable, even those way beyond the scope of the study, fox example, DNA or dietary choices made 13 years, 6 months and 17 days ago. It's impossible to have that level of control, therefore, it's impossible to know that drinking a diet soda causes someone (who must have the genetic disposition to become diabetic) will become diabetic based on that single dietary choice.

It's much more reasonable to think that the reason diet soda drinkers tend to get diabetes is that they already engage in behaviors that trigger the latent diabetes they were born with. I'm fat, therefore I drink diet soda and it's because I'm fat and I have the genes, not because of my drinking, that I have become diabetic.

tl;dr (summary) - it's irresponsible to assume that drinking diet sodas causes diabetes.
Catchy catch phrase is catchy.

Jibaholic

Post by Jibaholic » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:49 pm

I think you're wise to point out that there could be a million confounding variables. We see that in epidemiology all the time. But having said that, I think there is a lot more to the story. From the standpoint of inductive logic and Bayesian statistics, finding a correlation between diet drinks and diabetes raises the probability that we'd expect "diet drinks cause diabetes" to be true. It's definitely not the final word, but we can't simply invoke "correlation is not causation" and dismiss the charge.

With that in mind, my own emerging sense is that diet drinks do cause metabolic syndrome/diabetes/weight gain and they do it in two interrelated ways.

1. Dopamine. Sweetened drinks feed your sweet tooth and cause further cravings, and not all of them will be satiated with something that is zero calories.

2. Gut health. We're starting to realize the importance of a healthy gut and the gut-brain connections. Some artificial sweeteners, like sucralose, work because they are not broken down in the digestive system. So it seems highly likely that they could cause harmful bacteria to flourish. Having said that, every artificial sweetener is different. Some have the potential to be healthy for your gut, like monk fruit and stevia.
Last edited by Jibaholic on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:14 am

You mean they cause obesity by causing overeating? Because I think there are few people who are obese who aren't overeating. I was only mildly obese, but I overate when I was normal weight, overweight, and mildly obese. I still do sometimes.

I think we can say that they contribute to the desire to overeat, but it's overeating for the great majority that causes obesity, exceptions notwithstanding.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

abelincoln

Post by abelincoln » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:27 pm

I do tea and I also do milk but I don't do them together I don't think the tea i use strong enough for it

But might try it
Last edited by abelincoln on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Jibaholic

Post by Jibaholic » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Sorry, I made an edit to my previous post for clarity - I changed "cause obesity" to "cause metabolic syndrome/diabetes/weight gain". I think the word obese is too loaded although I meant it in the BMI definition sense.

There are a lot of unhealthy foods out there and you can't avoid them all! I do think it makes sense to treat diet soda as an S food, but everyone is different.

ferdberfle

Post by ferdberfle » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:53 pm

...type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors
- American Diabetes Association

Drinking any particular beverage or eating any particular food CANNOT cause diabetes. Dietary choices certainly influence the onset and severity, but in themselves, do not cause the disease.

What does this mean?

It means that if you have the genes, you could (not necessarily will) develop diabetes regardless of your consumption of diet soda. It also means that people who do not have the gene CAN'T develop diabetes regardless of what they eat or drink.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:52 am

You MUST have a genetic predisposition to develop diabetes?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:35 am

oolala53 wrote:You MUST have a genetic predisposition to develop diabetes?
Generally, yes, but there is some conjecture that there are other causes such as a virus that can compromise the pancreas. There are other direct causes like pancreatic cancer, I think.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

abelincoln

Post by abelincoln » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:12 pm

for clarification you are talking about type 2 diabetes? isn't that supposed to be preventable

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:46 pm

You cannot get diabetes Type 2 if you don't have the genes? I have never heard about this. I always thought - if you overload your system with sugar etc. you will eventually be at risk for Type 2 Diabetes.

I don't have anyone with diabetes in my family. Does that mean we're not prone? Can you get gene tested?

Why are there so many more people suddenly getting Type2 in the developed world? Because they were all prone but didn't have the same lifestyle factors? I just always assumed it was genes OR/and lifestyle. Not AND.

Interesting!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Most diabetes sites support the claim that eating sugar does not cause diabetes.

There are plenty of overweight and obese people in the world who will never develop diabetes nor heart disease. Overweight has never been shown to be the cause. It is just correlated, so the odds go up, but odds always mean some do and some don't.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

abelincoln

Post by abelincoln » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:17 pm

pop of any type is probabably not good

i enjoy it in varying degrees on s days
Last edited by abelincoln on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:49 am

So I asked my doctor yesterday and he said you can absolutely get diabetes Type 2 if you have no genetic predisposition. Your lifestyle can do it to you. Not one thing alone as pop or sugar but your overall lifestyle. That kind of makes sense to me as we had such a diabetes 2 explosion while diabetes 1 has remained relatively stable.

Sorry we hijacked the thread!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ferdberfle

Post by ferdberfle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:28 pm

...he said you can absolutely get diabetes Type 2 if you have no genetic predisposition.
According to the ADA (and other sources I'm too busy to find right now) you can't.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if some diseases of the pancreas could cause Type 1 and perhaps others, e.g. gestational diabetes, might cause type 2. I haven't researched that either.

I did just find this link - http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:23 am

Thank you ferdberfle

Although this isn't about diabetes, I just read this article about soda (and diet soda):
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-zin ... ostpopular

I thought it was interesting.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

noni

Post by noni » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Sounds like there is no good in any kind of soda! Thanks for the article, eschano.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:51 am

Hmm. That might do it.

During a recent heat wave, when I bought a diet soda at a local outdoor shop at a seaside shopping center, a man there struck up a conversation. He claimed he had just signed a contract with Pepsi for them to use a version of stevia his company had perfected that got rid of the taste that so many people don't like. In the meantime, he recommended getting iced tea in similar circumstances. He actually implied that that would be preferable even when the soda makers use stevia.

Grist for the mill.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:46 am

Gross story about mice coming up - skip if you are squeamish!

Years ago before I studied engineering, I worked up North on a mine site in a store room. Late one day, the guy driving the forklift dropped a pallet of soda cans, and a bunch of them burst. We didn't have time to clean up the whole puddle, so we left it for the morning.

In the morning, we found that mice had been having a go at the puddle. We found several mice where only a few bones, feet and tail were left - they had dissolved in the soda. I've never forgotten this horrible sight, and it always makes me wonder what all the carbonic acid (from the fact that the drink is carbonated / has bubbles - nothing to do with sugar or diet) was doing to my mouth and teeth.

ferdberfle

Post by ferdberfle » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:10 am

Acidity is measured primarily by a property called pH. Seven is neutral, above seven is basic (caustic, like lye) and below seven is acidic. This is an inverse concentration based measurement.

While most colas (which also have phosphoric acid - the acid that gives colas their 'bite') have a pH of about 2.8 to 3, the acid that is in your stomach (hydrochloric acid) has a pH that ranges from 1.5 to 3. Therefore, cola often does not change the natural acidity of the stomach.

Interestingly enough, the stomach acid is neutralized by sodium bicarbonate produced in the pancreas to form table salt and carbonic acid - the same acid that carbon dioxide forms in sodas (any water, for that matter). Enzymes break down the carbonic acid (from the stomach acid and cola) into carbon dioxide and water. Eventually, the largest part of that carbon dioxide is exhaled.

Also, vinegar, lemon juice and cranberry juice have lower pH readings (are more acidic) than cola.

When it comes to eroding tooth enamel, according to snopes.com,
Mountain Dew contains citric acid, a substance naturally found in citrus fruits that exists as a powder in its purified, industrialized form. Most citrus sodas mix in the stuff to give drinks their tangy bite, while most colas, such as Coca Cola and Pepsi, incorporate phosphoric acid for the same effect. Consequently, these drinks have a low pH value around 3 (very acidic). Coca Cola, with its dark coloring and non-fruity flavor, may be the soft drink most often compared to battery acid, but in 2004, a well-known study led by dentist J. Anthony von Fraunhofer found that citrus sodas like Mountain Dew and Sprite erode tooth enamel around six times faster than colas.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:41 am

Yeah, my concern was my mouth and teeth, as I was pretty sure stomach acid could handle anything I can bear to drink.

I guess the difference is that I'm unlikely to chug vinegar or lemon juice in the quantities people drink soda. My sister is a dentist, so she's quick to jump on anything we drink (e.g. offering our young son water with a slice of lemon).

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:08 am

All I know is that the only drink other than water I drank for the first 15 years of my life was Diet coke and I neither have reflux nor was ever bulimic, yet my teeth look like it. Every dentist agreed it's the diet coke. It depends on your quantities. And while your stomach acid might be more acidic most people don't have it in their mouths.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

noni

Post by noni » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 pm

I had a friend with dark spotted teeth. She said she sucked on a lot of lemons when she was young.

Didn't they say to pour cola down the drain when you had a clogged sink?

Oolala: I don't even want to imagine what they did to that stevia to make it taste less bitter.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Good point, noni.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23