issue with carbs answers

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Goodcooker

issue with carbs answers

Post by Goodcooker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:40 pm

When I eat any type of grain, bread, pasta, oatmeal i get very bloated and it seems I just swell up everywhere. I suffer anyways with severe constipation. I will go DAYS and not have a BM. (sorry to be so gross) Told my doc and he just brushed it off and said I must be gluten sensative. That was it. If I eat high carb foods the situation seems to get even worse. However if I start being very strict with carbs I get tired, cranky, no energy. I may lose some weight but it's so slow coming off. (actually that's proving true with anything I try!) I have now officially gained 4 pounds eating the No S way. :( I have been SO strict and weekends are done in such moderation it's crazy! I know everyone says to stay off the scales but jeepers! I can't keep gaining weight like this. I guess I need to look at my plate servings. ?? I don't know. I will work through it. Thanks to you all who responded.
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:26 pm

When you eat low carb, the first weight you lose is water weight. If you go back to eating carbs, the first weight you gain will be water weight.

Are you eating whole grains or refined grains? I know this is exactly the opposite of what the experts tell us to do, but I limit whole grains. I get bloated when I eat them. Refined grains do not affect me this way. I figure if refined grains are good enough for Asians (rice), and the French and Italians (flour products), they're good enough for me.

The probable reason for crankiness and fatigue when you limit carbs is that our brains need carbs. Carbs are the brain's source of energy.

I went back and checked your first post about this and you're eating a pretty calorie restricted diet. Just out of curiosity, how tall are you and what is your goal weight and how much do you want to lose?

When BrightAngel posted about unrealistic expectations, I expected something different. I expected something about how much weight one can reasonably expect to lose in "x" amount of time. Also, how realistic is the goal weight. I think a lot of us, especially a lot of us women, think we can get to a weight that is unreasonably low.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:12 pm

I am 168 pounds, 41 years of age, female and I am 5.5. My extra weight is around my mid section. My goal weight is 145. I have noticed that the whole grains seem harder on my digestive. I have noticed that Ezekiel bread (made from sprouts) seems to agree with me a little more. I stopped eating oatmeal for breakfast a few days ago and started eating Ezekiel toast with a side of sliced cheese and a few prunes with a cup of black tea. I am not bloating up like I was with the oatmeal. I walk 3 miles a few times a week. Do the shovel glove 3 days per week. Two or three nights a week I have a couple glasses of red wine. I am not hungry most mornings. I have actually been forcing myself to eat breakfast because "it's the right thing to do". I think I may just start eating a piece of fruit in the morning. Have my toast and cheese for lunch and then back off the carb intake for dinner. Meat and veggies. I have to somehow figure my system out. I can't keep gaining like this.
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:29 am

Boy, I guess I don't know how lucky I am, unless this (bloating) is actually happening to me and I don't even realize it.

If carbs have such an obvious effect on you, why not limit them more? Are you a vegetarian? Could you not have more protein? Or Greek yogurt? Cottage cheese?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Oh you would know if this was happening to you. You feel and look like your 7 months pregnant. I have been counting cals...1300 per day on average and have kept carb count below 100. Still gaining. I keep hoping my system will "catch on" to what I'm doing.
-Lucille Ball

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Do you have any health issues that could cause you to gain weight? Any medications? Why did you initially do low carb?

There was someone here a year or so ago who had similar problems. Turns out she had some food allergies or sensitivities or both that were causing her to gain.

I've never paid any attention to counting carbs, but you should be losing rapidly eating only 1300 calories daily. Years ago I read that to reach or maintain our goal weights, we should consume 10 calories per pound if we're sedentary, 15 if we're moderately active and 20 if we're very active (unless, of course, you're an elite athlete and then it's much higher). I think you're moderately active and with your goal weight should be consuming almost 2200 calories daily -- and losing consistently.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:28 pm

Three years ago I quit smoking. I gained 20 pounds in a matter of a few months. Started counting calories/ no weight loss. So I thought I would try WW/ no weight loss. Started Atkins/ lost 10 pounds over a year of yo-yoing with that way of eating. Tried the new WW again recently/ no weight loss and actually gained back a few of the pounds I had lost. Now I have gained 4 more pounds in the last four weeks. I am on no meds. The only complaint healthwise is severe constipation that seems to get much much worse when I eat any wheat. Eating sugar makes me want more sugar. Which I think is a common problem. I have done REALLY well following the No S way of eating. Like I said I have kept my cals around 1300 and carbs (wheat) under 100. I have gained 4 pounds. It's weird, I know. I am going to figure this out. I have to.
-Lucille Ball

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Do you have access to anything that would show your fat percentage in your body? If you are gaining water, it's a nuisance, but I'm not sure it's a health risk.

Are you eating beans for fiber? Taking any psyllium husk or the like?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 am

It sounds like you should just cut out wheat period, and possibly cut out grains (get your carbs from fruit and vegetables). I'm not saying it would be guaranteed to work, but it's a thought.