New Book About Processed Foods

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

New Book About Processed Foods

Post by BrightAngel » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Image After reading this review by Dr. Yoni Freedhoff,
I've pre-ordered this book which will be published at the end of this week.
Most of you know that I don't consider myself a "real food" person,
but it sounds like it might be very interesting,
and some of you might enjoy reading it.

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2013/02/bo ... doras.html
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:39 pm

That sounds very interesting, but you knew I'd think so, right? I put it on my wish list and will probably get it when it comes out next week.

Similarly, I read The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food in the New York Times Magazine. It is from the book Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us, also to be published 2/26/13.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:40 pm

wosnes wrote:That sounds very interesting, but you knew I'd think so, right? I put it on my wish list and will probably get it when it comes out next week.

Similarly, I read The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food in the New York Times Magazine. It is from the book Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us, also to be published 2/26/13.
wosnes, yes I did think of you. :D

I also read that review, and about a month or so ago,
I put that book on my Amazon wish list for a reminder when it comes out.
I've never been a "real food" person, but part of my "dieting hobby"
is to keep informed about the many different ways of eating.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:51 am

You say you're not a "real food" person, but I'd bet you eat fewer processed foods than the average bear.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:27 am

OMG - "liquefied chicken nuggets."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:13 pm

oolala53 wrote:You say you're not a "real food" person,
but I'd bet you eat fewer processed foods than the average bear.
:lol: You might enjoy the rather amusing article I posted this morning.
http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v& ... thy_Eater?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:49 am

So-called "healthy" food is not the same as "real" food. I don't think real food has so many requirements...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 pm

wosnes wrote: Similarly, I read The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food in the New York Times Magazine. It is from the book Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us, also to be published 2/26/13.
I read The Extraordinary Science this weekend too. It's an old school expose: corporate executives who knew their product was addictive and potentially harmful justifying not doing anything about it under the mantra of we were only giving the consumer what they wanted (never mind that the product was increasingly engineered and marketed to make the customer want more.)

I don't lay the blame solely at the feet of the food corporations for this mess that is currently our food system. At the end of the day, the individual really does have the choice. BUT, the research about decision making shows that most of our decisions are unconscious or based on short term considerations. (How We Decide, Predictably Irrational, Blink). Blaming the individual for what comes naturally is more than a little self serving on the part of the corporations, especially since those socializing influences that have traditionally been the venue through which we were taught and trained to act socially, delay gratification and think long term rather than act individually, indulge gratification and think short term - family, faith, schools - are, in my opinion, increasingly not up to this task.

But that's another post.
Last edited by Blithe Morning on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:38 pm

"Giving the customer what they want" is not responsible. What if what the customer wants are controlled substance drugs? The company does not have a responsibility to keep pumping customers with the substance if it harms them.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:47 pm

leafy_greens wrote:"Giving the customer what they want" is not responsible. What if what the customer wants are controlled substance drugs? The company does not have a responsibility to keep pumping customers with the substance if it harms them.
Most of the time the customer doesn't know they want it until the company introduces it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:07 pm

wosnes wrote:Most of the time the customer doesn't know they want it until the company introduces it.
wosnes, Good Point !!

Some of you might also be interested in this article about Lying Food Labels.

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=806

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Update: The book arrived and I'm starting it today.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 pm

BrightAngel wrote:
wosnes wrote:Most of the time the customer doesn't know they want it until the company introduces it.
wosnes, Good Point !!

Some of you might also be interested in this article about Lying Food Labels.

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=806
Granted, they have focus groups and test markets, but by and large until we see it advertised or see it in the market (or see a coupon for it), we have no idea we want it.

When I'm watching TV the commercials for all the new and/or updated foods amuse me. All I can think is that the food companies need to keep us interested and buying, buying, buying.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I suspect the corporations feel like the consumer is leading them about by the nose since corporations have to constantly be extending their product lines, developing new products and ruthlessly weeding out marginal sellers in order to keep their "stomach share."

Of course, their motivation is profit which isn't inherently evil, but it's not inherently causing them to do the right thing either.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:I suspect the corporations feel like the consumer is leading them about by the nose since corporations have to constantly be extending their product lines, developing new products and ruthlessly weeding out marginal sellers in order to keep their "stomach share."

Of course, their motivation is profit which isn't inherently evil, but it's not inherently causing them to do the right thing either.
Actually, their motivation is to keep their shareholders happy.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 am

Reminds me of a time years ago when I got chastised by my then 14-year-old nephew for muting the sound during commercials during a family gathering. It was at Thanksgiving and he said, "How will I know what I want for Christmas if I don't hear the commercials?"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 pm

BrightAngel wrote:Update: The book arrived and I'm starting it today.
I've sampled it on my kindle. If I weren't already avoiding processed foods, this would make think very seriously about it.