It actually made me anxious...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

It actually made me anxious...

Post by Over43 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:52 am

I can't sleep so I thought I would share an experience that happened earlier this evening.

I was reading posts on the Diamond Dallas Page Yoga website-chat room when a fellow asked how he should eat. Another guy, who knows everything (no it wasn't me...), started yacking (again), about the diet he is on, the Mcdougall Diet. The McDougall Diet is a hardcore vegan diet based on starches. And to be honest the chatter has had significant weight loss while on it. (Very good for him.)

So, being curious I went to the website and started reading. I can honestly say I started getting anxiety when I started reading what you could and couldn't eat. I guess it was a boxed in feeling.

I realized afterword I can't live with the calorie counting and evil food diets again.

Of course the author suggests healthy snacks.

I learned something about myself tonight.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Did you take the chance to witness to the forum about No S? I almost feel responsible to educate people who complain about their diets. There's a way out! (No S)

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:09 pm

although it seems like sometimes you try to educate people about NoS and they want to cling to the restrictive diets that never worked in the first place.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 am

I get anxious when I read too much in passing about low carb. They'd probably say that's a sign I need to go low carb! I'm going to keep going with moderation until it becomes more dire.

I think strict programs appeal because secretly people think the programs are temporary. They don't really intend to make permanent changes. They keep thinking, well, if I can just get the weight off. Then I'll worry about maintenance. Fails over and over until they get that most most of what they do to lose is what they'll have to do to maintain.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:56 am

There have been several current or former McDougall followers here over the years, including me. I'd given it up by the time I started No-S. But I could quote McDougall chapter and verse. Probably still could. Even so, I never quite believed the necessity of it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

HealthyMommy

Post by HealthyMommy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:15 am

All I can say is "WHOA!" There was also a section where he was featured in a magazine and made this statement: "Every other Thanksgiving, as a ceremony to prove, I am not a vegetarian, I have an ounce of sliced turkey."
Every Other?!?! An Ounce?!?!':shock:' That could be funny, but also sad. Sad that people actually believe that hype. And of course he has a company that makes "healthy" convenience foods for people on the go. HMMMM..$$$$$ :lol:
Starting my No-S journey on Dec.30,2012
SW: 214 lbs (Dec.30,2012)
GW: 135 lbs

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 am

HealthyMommy wrote:All I can say is "WHOA!" There was also a section where he was featured in a magazine and made this statement: "Every other Thanksgiving, as a ceremony to prove, I am not a vegetarian, I have an ounce of sliced turkey."
Every Other?!?! An Ounce?!?!':shock:' That could be funny, but also sad. Sad that people actually believe that hype. And of course he has a company that makes "healthy" convenience foods for people on the go. HMMMM..$$$$$ :lol:
He's definitely a smart business man. Not only are there the convenience foods, but also books (at least 12), trips, and seminars.

I didn't follow his program to lose weight, but for health reasons. Big health scares will do that to you.

While I was following the program I read something in another source that said "beware diet programs that omit food groups." By following McDougall, I was omitting three of them: meats and fish, dairy, and any added fats. It was one of many eye-openers.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 pm

I wonder what he thinks is so wrong with being "thought of" as a vegetarian. Maybe he gets more meat eating followers by insisting he is not? Or maybe he thinks meat is so bad for you that it's only worth eating once every two years?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:25 pm

leafy_greens wrote:I wonder what he thinks is so wrong with being "thought of" as a vegetarian. Maybe he gets more meat eating followers by insisting he is not? Or maybe he thinks meat is so bad for you that it's only worth eating once every two years?
Although he does think meat is so bad it should be consumed very infrequently, if I remember correctly he doesn't like labels ("vegetarian," "vegan").

Funny thing is, now I think we should avoid most of the meat available to us, but for very different reasons.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm

I don't eat meat at all, so I think it's insulting for him to act like there's something wrong with that term.. but that's a different discussion..