carbs

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Andylandy

carbs

Post by Andylandy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm

I am a relative newcomer to the diet, and in three weeks have lost no weight. I was happy reintroducing carbs in my diet, but now I wonder, is it wise to cut them out on No S?

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm

you could probably make a few mods if you've been through 21 days and succeeded. but i would be careful in the fact that you don't want to restrict it too much, it starts to seem more like a "diet"... i wouldn't cut out anything except sweets, snacks and seconds on weekdays. you could probably try and reduce carbs a little in your meals but sometimes having the mentality of "I will never eat x, y or z" can be failure.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:30 pm

I would wait a while before making any changes like this. If you have been restricting carbs recently then there will likely be a rebound effect - there sure was every time I stopped doing the Atkins diet or similar low carb diets.

Cutting out / restricting carbs is a fairly major endeavour, and it will rob you of your S day treats too. For me this would be a bad move.

The thing with No S is that because it is so moderate, you must be in it for the long haul in order to see major results. It took me quite some time to find the sweet spot that allows me to loose weight without feeling so restrictive I wanted to rebel. For me it came from making a conscious effort to reduce portion sizes, and I now find I really am satisfied with less. It has been worth the time and effort to get No S working for me.

Can I also suggest you check out the phases of No S sticky topic, as it has information and advice that you may find useful and reassuring.

Andylandy

Post by Andylandy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Minkymoo wrote:I would wait a while before making any changes like this. If you have been restricting carbs recently then there will likely be a rebound effect - there sure was every time I stopped doing the Atkins diet or similar low carb diets.

Cutting out / restricting carbs is a fairly major endeavour, and it will rob you of your S day treats too. For me this would be a bad move.

The thing with No S is that because it is so moderate, you must be in it for the long haul in order to see major results. It took me quite some time to find the sweet spot that allows me to loose weight without feeling so restrictive I wanted to rebel. For me it came from making a conscious effort to reduce portion sizes, and I now find I really am satisfied with less. It has been worth the time and effort to get No S working for me.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I was just frustrated because I wasn't seeing results. But your advice makes sense. i will think about portion control because that is also an issue for me.

Can I also suggest you check out the phases of No S sticky topic, as it has information and advice that you may find useful and reassuring.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:16 pm

I would advise against cutting out any carbs, unless you have a medical condition. Vanilla No S is good enough for most people. 21 days is a bit soon (in my opinion) to start thinking about any kind of mods.

Reinhard discusses why No S is unique and one of the reasons is because you don't cut out entire food groups (except sweets during the week but sweets aren't really food). Cutting out entire food groups is unsustainable for most. And unless you have a valid reason like doctor's orders or religious, it's not following the No S plan. I don't eat meat, but I have not eaten it for many years prior to No S, due to personal feelings against the meat industry, not about losing weight.

I am willing to bet if you follow No S precisely, your weight will stabilize and you won't have to go hunting for bogeymen like carbs.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 am

If there is one thing I wish Reinhard had never said, it was saying it takes 21 days to change a habit. I know some research supports this, but research also shows that changing food habits is as hard for people to do as the hardest drug habits.

I don't think 21 days is enough for No S to really make an impact on your appetite, which I think is its real benefit, if the user is willing to work with that. The only mod I would recommend after three weeks is being sure you are hungry for meals on N days. Not hungry for breakfast? Eat a bit less of the heavier foods at dinner. Not hungry for dinner? Eat a bit less at lunch. Etc.

If you are already hungry for meals consistently on N days, start phasing that in for S days as well, but go gently. If that feels like a punishment too soon, there will be backlash. But eventually, you will have to feel hunger at various times of the day most days and be relatively comfortable with that. Feeling that you will get fed adequately with good quality food consistently when hungry is a time-honored way to adjust the appetite and decrease overeating more naturally for most people than with calorie targets. It doesn't usually happen in a few weeks. Give the process a chance.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:21 am

oolala53 wrote:If there is one thing I wish Reinhard had never said, it was saying it takes 21 days to change a habit. I know some research supports this, but research also shows that changing food habits is as hard for people to do as the hardest drug habits.

I don't think 21 days is enough for No S to really make an impact on your appetite, which I think is its real benefit, if the user is willing to work with that. The only mod I would recommend after three weeks is being sure you are hungry for meals on N days. Not hungry for breakfast? Eat a bit less of the heavier foods at dinner. Not hungry for dinner? Eat a bit less at lunch. Etc.

If you are already hungry for meals consistently on N days, start phasing that in for S days as well, but go gently. If that feels like a punishment too soon, there will be backlash. But eventually, you will have to feel hunger at various times of the day most days and be relatively comfortable with that. Feeling that you will get fed adequately with good quality food consistently when hungry is a time-honored way to adjust the appetite and decrease overeating more naturally for most people than with calorie targets. It doesn't usually happen in a few weeks. Give the process a chance.
this is to some extent what i am trying to do by making minimal mods for myself. i dont' want saturday and sunday to be a free for all so i am keeping the basic structure of Ndays but allowing myself several opportunities for s-events with each meal. that way i can get hungry and hopefully learn to reduce overeating. but still have fun on sdays. i know it will definitely take longer than 21 days to truly make this a habit! i've heard 90 days actually from a lot of people.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:58 am

Actually, the research shows it takes 2-5 YEARS before the odds of relapse back to old eating habits goes down to just 25%. I hope that adds to your resolve. The time will pass anyway. The sooner we get back on the horse, the sooner we get to 5 years.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

alexjhon

carbs

Post by alexjhon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:50 am

Carbs are one of four major classes of biomolecules along with proteins, lipids and nucleotides and are one of the main types of nutrients. They are the most important source of energy for your body.