Housework and Your Waistline

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Housework and Your Waistline

Post by wosnes » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 pm

This corroborates what I've been thinking and saying for a few years. Our level of activity has declined to the point that it affects our weight.

What Housework Has to Do with Waistlines
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:28 pm

This is so interesting - thanks for sharing!

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks for the share, it's an interesting idea! Though I don't really fancy doing more housework than I do at the moment :-) I think the key is to be busy instead of idle.

Reinhard's shovelglove page makes some good points too, about how strange it is that we have removed so much useful exertion from our daily lives only to spend our spare time running on the equivalent of hamster wheels in the gym!

Girl Next Door

Post by Girl Next Door » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:55 am

I did notice that I gained weight after I stopped carrying my DD around and picking her up a lot. (She was four, I think.) I carried her piggy back for a while after that, but it wasn't enough to keep the pounds down.
Girl Next Door
"Don't I know you from somewhere?"

12/31/10 - 177
10/14/12 - 167
Healthy Range - 113-141

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 am

Men have also gotten fatter and they did not traditionally do housework. There should be a study called "Lack of Farming in Fields Causes Rise in Obesity Among Men."

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 am

leafy_greens wrote:Men have also gotten fatter and they did not traditionally do housework. There should be a study called "Lack of Farming in Fields Causes Rise in Obesity Among Men."
I can think of any number of things that have changed in the activity levels of men over the last 50 years, too. One could start with the development of the remote control.

For years and years studies for nearly everything were conducted on men only. Within the last twenty years or so researchers have finally started looking at women separately because we are different, even in how, when and why we gain weight. And we're complaining.

Granted, lower levels of activity have occurred for both sexes, but it's hard to make conclusions about men when women are (finally!) being studied separately.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."