Back for good...but how long does it take?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jld141

Back for good...but how long does it take?

Post by jld141 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Hey Everyone!

I read about No S a while ago and was immediately excited by the idea. It made so much sense, seemed sustainable, and I was excited to start. However, after trying and failing over a dozen times, I am back and ready to start again. This time though, I think I've learned from my many failures, and I'm going to approach it differently.

First off, I'm going to focus more on improving my health rather than losing weight. Obviously I really want to lose weight, but apparently that hasn't been a good enough reason for me to stick to this plan. I think that if I eat healthier meals, I'll feel better immediately, and that immediate gratification will help me to stick to it.

Also, I don't think I'm going to use the habit cal. I've tried that in the past, and every time I "fail" by eating a snack or sweet, I mark it red and continue with the WTH mentality and go overboard and binge...only leaving myself feeling guilty and sick to my stomach. So maybe without the habit cal, I can focus more on one meal at a time, not trying to make the whole day perfect at once.

The other thing I need to do--which will be the most challenging-- is to try to THINK before I eat. In the past, if a snack or sweet presents itself, I ignore all of the voices in my head telling me to stick to the plan, and immediately eat it. I know that No S is doable, but I need to remember it is not easy and it IS going to take effort to change my habits. HOPEFULLY this amount of effort will go away ASAP, but I just need to keep chugging along until then. (I also need to realize that it is easy for me to say these things now, but when caught up in the moment I tend to ignore/conveniently forget all of these thoughts that I'm having)

I'm tired of "starting over" I know I feel so much better when I'm compliant with No S, and I know that there is really no other sustainable way to lose weight for me. But my main goal is to become healthier, and to stop being so preoccupied and obsessed with eating. I hope to reap the physical benefits, but mostly the psychological benefits too.

Thanks for listening! Also, if anyone has any idea as to how long it takes for the "effort" to go away I'd be curious to see how long it took you guys before it felt automatic!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Habit-cal makes this a "diet" for me, not a habit.

I think the amount of time it takes for this to become second nature varies among individuals. A lucky few might have created the habit in 21 days, but I think they're the exception, not the rule. I think six months to a year is the minimum and even then there will be occasional slip-ups. I also think slip-ups are to be expected and normal.

I once heard that if you're married -- and it is or you want a good marriage -- every morning when you wake up you make a decision to be a good partner that day. I think No-S is much the same. Part of it is second nature, but part is conscious decision daily.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:40 pm

The first week was so hard for me. The 2nd-3rd weeks were hard, but a little bit easier. It's still not easy yet (week 5). But I have made it, even though it's hard! If I can make it 5 weeks as a sugar addict, then anybody can. Your appetite really is a dumb brute and you have to show it who's boss when it throws a tantrum (often, for me.)

I personally like the HabitCal. It has helped me envision my goals. To each his/her own I guess. I don't think it's any more "restrictive" to mark your days than it is to weigh yourself weekly, or write down what you eat for every meal (neither of which I do.)