The power of one

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

AnnaBanana

The power of one

Post by AnnaBanana » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Reinhard, I swore I would write a book one day and title it that. It'd be one page only and it would simply say....learn what a serving size is. But I'm giving this catchy phrase to you. Feel free to do a podcast. :lol:

When I thought back to how we ate growing up I realized the #1 was prevalent in all our meals. One piece of chicken, one piece of toast, one egg, etc. heck my my mom cut bacon in half so those two pieces were actually one. I'm years into NoS but this single thing has helped me most to continue to drift down in weight. No, I don't measure my food but I do know eyeballing what half a cup of mashed potatoes looks like and what 3-4 ounces of meat looks like.

It may not be something you want to do at first but after you've become comfortable with NoS it sure does help.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:40 pm

No S has the advantage of not starting out too tough but giving MOST people the chance to have more than enough at first and learning to get to "enough," if they're willing to be honest and admit that they need less than they often thought. It can happen fast or slowly or never, if the insistence is on eating food because you can.

This certainly works for me with starches, protein, and fat. Not with freggies! But I get your point and agree.

Teenage boys and some men notwithstanding.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:55 pm

I think that's the beauty of NoS. I just think you have to stick with it and let it evolve. And you are so right... Be honest with yourself. This revelation no doubt was years into NoS for me. And it really started with me remembering how we ate growing up. Family of six and mom didn't work and one was the magic number. But it was real food with butter and gravy too, sometimes fried, whole milk, etc., but it was one serving. I really had to reevaluate what was enough being post meno and also realize that exercise was a must.

wosnes

Re: The power of one

Post by wosnes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:55 pm

AnnaBanana wrote: When I thought back to how we ate growing up I realized the #1 was prevalent in all our meals. One piece of chicken, one piece of toast, one egg, etc. heck my my mom cut bacon in half so those two pieces were actually one. I'm years into NoS but this single thing has helped me most to continue to drift down in weight. No, I don't measure my food but I do know eyeballing what half a cup of mashed potatoes looks like and what 3-4 ounces of meat looks like.
A couple of years ago I was talking to a neighbor and she was astounded to find out that I usually had one of whatever it was I was eating. About the only time I don't have "one" is when I scramble eggs. One scrambled egg looks so tiny! At the very least, I usually have no more than one serving of whatever (one grape isn't a serving) it is I'm eating.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Minkymoo

Post by Minkymoo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:25 pm

My granny had something called the 'rule of one' which was her system for controlling her weight. My mum tried to tell me when I was a child but of course I didnt listen!

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Interesting, I haven't heard this term before! I'm at the stage of "The Power of Some." :oops: Still on one plate, though.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:41 am

The Power of Some on one plate will work for quite awhile.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:08 am

Thank you for that. I'm going to keep it in mind. Sometimes I even have less than one! For instance, I used to eat a whole chicken breast in one sitting and more recently I've realised that that's quite a big portion for me. I cut about 1/3 of it off and give it to my son. That goes for quite a lot of the food I cook. I'm a shorter than average woman, so obviously my ideal portion size is actually smaller than the recommended portion sizes. It took me a while to work that out! I would still eat a whole egg or a whole piece of toast, but with some other foods I aim for about 2/3 of a portion rather than a whole portion. I also sometimes buy things that come in child-size portions.