I should have expected this

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

I should have expected this

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Mark Bittman has a new book coming out at the end of the month: VB6. VB6 = vegan before 6 PM. It's a book about diet and weight loss. He introduced this concept in his book Food Matters in 2009 and wrote a companion cookbook the following year.

Another angle, another book.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Eeyore

Post by Eeyore » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:33 am

Interesting....seeing as how veganism is a lifestyle (not just a diet) I can't even fathom the concept.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 am

Eeyore wrote:Interesting....seeing as how veganism is a lifestyle (not just a diet) I can't even fathom the concept.
I think there are a lot of people who follow a vegan diet for reasons of health, but don't embrace the lifestyle.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:15 am

there are always going to be these "Diets" and i think we are best to just know what we are doing makes sense and let others dabble in this nonsense if they want to. we can't stop them from doing it, we can just hope they will see the insanity in it and move on to something more sane.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm just reading Food Matters now, though the concept is not new to me.I borrowed it mostly because in flipping through it at the library, I saw he had a few pages of spice mixes. I tend not to cook up recipes but to make plain versions of things and add sauces later.

I always think it's interesting how these authors imply that the changes they are asking for are simple, as if a few days of eating unprocessed food is going to wipe out all the attraction. For most people, diet changes are an evolution. But weight loss sells.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:56 pm

It's too bad that he's promoting a rigid concept, and selling it for weight loss. "Food Matters" is much more flexible -- he says HE is vegan before six and it work for HIM, but that what he's trying to encourage is cutting down on (not eliminating) consumption of processed food and animal products and that any way you accomplish that is good. And his reasons for encouraging it are moral, political, and health-driven, not primarily about weight loss.

I hate to see him jumping on the "miracle diet rules" bandwagon, because he's always struck me as someone whose approach to food is very thoughtful, moderate, and driven by flavor. The Food Matters Cookbook has some GREAT recipes in it! I've cooked out of it a lot.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:39 pm

I would chalk this up to the pressure to write and sell books to keep "the brand" in high profile.

Dale

Post by Dale » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:18 am

I used to be virtually vegan and it didn't seem to make any difference to my health or weight (I don't know if he's claiming it does).

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:17 pm

He claims that going virtually vegan and cutting out processed food dramatically improved his health and he also lost a bunch of weight -- and yeah, he's implying that you'll get the same results.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:00 pm

You can lose weight as a vegan. You can also gain weight as a vegan. It's all about the amount you eat. Vegan foods are not necessarily superfoods. Oreos are vegan. If the author's point is that the vegan foods must be unprocessed, then you could lose weight eating any number of non-vegan unprocessed foods as well. It's not a miracle diet.