Anyone really struggle between Breakfast and Lunch?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Anonymous-Coward

Anyone really struggle between Breakfast and Lunch?

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:49 pm

Once I've had lunch I'm usually alright...

But an hour after Breakfast I'm more hungry than before... Like, I'm literally looking at the clock at 11 contemplating making myself a plate and calling it "early" lunch...

Doesn't help that most of my week is spent at home, with nothing to do but revision and essays.

I know I could make my lunches early.. But it's not a habit I want to develop.

And two meals wont work for me..
I'm going away with my mum and her school on a week-long trip, where we'll be given 3 meals.. I don't want be the one who refuses breakfast all week.

It doesn't matter whether it's a three egg bacon omelette, or oatmeal.. By an hour I feel hungry to the point that I find it hard to concentrate.

I'm tempted to just have my three meals at anytime I want during the day.. And not give them labels or tie them down to strict times.

Even when I had 3 months of green N days last year... I struggled with the post breakfast munchies... It's part of the reason I lost my way.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Yes, I have 7-8 hours between breakfast and lunch, and after trying to adjust to the hunger for a couple of months, I have decided to add a morning snack. (Although since there are no snacks on No S, I have to call it second breakfast, even though all I am eating is a small serving of nuts.) It has made a huge difference.

I think I could make it if I ate more in the morning, but even if I make myself a couple of eggs, I just can't get it all down first thing. But I can't skip and have nothing because I can't get my coffee down without food, and I need my coffee! :shock:

i-try-2-b-fit

Post by i-try-2-b-fit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Following the advice of the Griesel's from their book Turbocharged, try drinking water. You'd be surprised at the result.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 pm

i-try-2-b-fit wrote:Following the advice of the Griesel's from their book Turbocharged, try drinking water. You'd be surprised at the result.
I was recently in a situation where I was very hungry but couldn't eat yet. I had water and was shocked at how much of the hunger disappeared after the first swallow. Try it or have a glass of milk.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

i-try-2-b-fit

Post by i-try-2-b-fit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:45 pm

wosnes wrote:
I was recently in a situation where I was very hungry but couldn't eat yet. I had water and was shocked at how much of the hunger disappeared after the first swallow. Try it or have a glass of milk.
Yes, the Griesels contend that what we perceive to be hunger is quite often thirst. In their book they advocate eating twice a day - lunch and dinner, with an intermittent fast from dinner to lunch time the next day. I have been doing this for about nine months now without a problem. I doubt I'll ever go back to three meals a day. The only thing I have in the morning is a cup of coffee and a spoon of coconut oil. I have been drinking a lot more water of course.

Dale

Post by Dale » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:39 pm

I used to be fine, but recently I've been struggling too. I'm not sure why that's happening as I'm eating much the same things for breakfast.

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:23 pm

If you are certain you've had a hearty breakfast, could it be that you are just fighting habit rather than hunger? It sounds like you have a good breakfast, but one thing before adding a snack might be to make certain it's a really good one -- not to make you overfull, but to be sure you are indeed full.

I used to routinely want lunch at like 11:00. But interestingly, when I had a busy or more interesting day (not chained to my desk), I magically didn't feel actual stomach pangs until much, much later, like 1 or 2:00. Now I am having small victories where I want to eat but I go do something different instead. (If at work, go walk up and down the stairs a few times to get winded, or if at home vacuum the rug or go do something outside.) I haven't had a non-S day "early" lunch in months, and now I wouldn't want to eat without feeling stomach-pang hungry because it's way less satisfying.

Good luck. One good thing about No S is the learning process. Each of us is different and lots of people to throw in their two cents.

KL

Post by KL » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

i-try-2-b-fit wrote:
Yes, the Griesels contend that what we perceive to be hunger is quite often thirst. In their book they advocate eating twice a day - lunch and dinner, with an intermittent fast from dinner to lunch time the next day. I have been doing this for about nine months now without a problem. I doubt I'll ever go back to three meals a day. The only thing I have in the morning is a cup of coffee and a spoon of coconut oil. I have been drinking a lot more water of course.
Just curious, what else have you gleaned from their program and how are you implementing it with No S?

I also agree with finallyfull- all of this is a learning process and will take time to unlearn and learn :)
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:22 pm

For me, the struggle is between any meal, not just breakfast and lunch. When I was at home (unemployed) I was eating constantly out of boredom. Being at work and out of the house all day makes it slightly easier, but it's still hard being at the desk. I drink a lot of unsweetened iced tea, and sometimes a half cup of OJ when I get home while preparing dinner. Remember that caloric drinks are allowed as long as it's not a "sweet" like full calorie Coke.

And, as others have mentioned, bulk up your breakfast. Don't give up. It's quite an adjustment to feel what it actually feels like to be full enough to last you through between meals, rather than eating just enough so that you are barely unhungry. The proper amount of fullness can feel wrong or uncomfortable as you are eating it, but I'm usually growling after 6 hours.

Anonymous-Coward

Post by Anonymous-Coward » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Thank you for your responses.

I've taken wosnes' advice - and started to drink a glass of milk. Usually, it's either between breakfast and lunch, or actually with a meal.
I don't really drink it, unless I feel I need to.. But when I do - it seems to make all the difference.

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Mon May 06, 2013 11:51 pm

Hang in there. This gets easier and easier. Just give it some time.