Delighting in strictness

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

maryashley

Delighting in strictness

Post by maryashley » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:11 pm

So, full disclosure— I am brand-new to NoS. Started at the first of April and losing weight so far.

There are a dozen reasons why NoS kept setting off bells of agreement and "YES! YES!" in my brain when I first read the general outline. Perhaps mostly because I know my pre-marriage, thinner self subsisted on obvious meals (four or five a day, but still) and never kept sweets or snacky foods in the house.. And my post-marriage, happier and more fulfilled and yet definitely fatter self basically grazes at whim when in the company of my spouse enjoying an evening after work. It is a pretty fast and easy correlation, considering my physical activity has gone upwards as the years progress, through work and personal goals. Forcing myself to return to a clear-cut regimen has been like turning off a switch so far— yeah, I get a little case of the hungries in the afternoon, but it's all the more reason for me to plan a full and healthful dinner.

But the best part about it so far has been how delightfully strict the whole notion is. I don't have to think, weigh, or measure the benefit of eating three sticks of celery with one tablespoon of peanut butter in the afternoon.. or justify two bits of candy before dinner by not having a glass of wine or something. I just don't eat when I'm not supposed to, and eat a lot when I do. I don't have to think about it and I don't have to reconcile any numbers at the end of the day— just how good I'm feeling and how my body reacts to what I do eat.

Brilliant stuff. I think I love hard and fast parameters.
-- MA
NoS since 1 April 2013 — with some falls off of the wagon.

KL

Re: Delighting in strictness

Post by KL » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:44 pm

maryashley wrote:But the best part about it so far has been how delightfully strict the whole notion is. .....Brilliant stuff. I think I love hard and fast parameters.
Yes :!: You've got the beauty of it right off the bat. :) Good for you. :D
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:48 pm

maryashley wrote:
I just don't eat when I'm not supposed to, and eat a lot when I do. I don't have to think about it and I don't have to reconcile any numbers at the end of the day— just how good I'm feeling and how my body reacts to what I do eat.
This has been my experience (4.5+ years and counting!). I am still secretly amazed that I can eat such good meals and be at an enviable (to other middle-aged ladies, not teens!) weight....

I think you are right to embrace NoS in its full simplicity, not overthinking it. You may eventually change what you put on your plate (I have a bit over the years) but it will be because you want to keep enjoying meals and therefore easy to keep and do.

Congrats on your good success!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Yeah, I never thought I'd be so Nancy Reagan about it, but Just Say No is a pretty good strategy for limiting food simply. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Simple, if not easy. Period. Who knew? Besides millions of French and Italian eaters. And the Chinese, I think. Before McDonald's.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 pm

I never thought I'd be so Nancy Reagan about it, but Just Say No is a pretty good strategy for limiting food simply.
I think "just be Nancy Reagan about it" may have to make it to the catch phrase glossary. :-)

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 pm

maryashley wrote:or justify two bits of candy before dinner by not having a glass of wine or something.
I really hate this "diet advice." Have a square of dark chocolate per day for flavinoids and antioxidants! Yeah right, try stopping at one square...

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:22 pm

If it's dark and high quality enough, one square is actually enough. That stuff can really be intensely flavored, you can't just shovel it in like M&M's.

But I still save it for the weekend!

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Thalia wrote:If it's dark and high quality enough, one square is actually enough.
For non-addicts... Not me.. :oops:

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Thalia wrote:If it's dark and high quality enough, one square is actually enough. That stuff can really be intensely flavored, you can't just shovel it in like M&M's.

But I still save it for the weekend!
I've found one square after dinner to be immensely satisfying and a good ending to a meal. More? Not so much. It's just more.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:26 am

maryashley wrote:I don't have to think, weigh, or measure the benefit of eating three sticks of celery with one tablespoon of peanut butter in the afternoon.. or justify two bits of candy before dinner by not having a glass of wine or something.
One problem with diets that do allow this kind of thing is that people are good at justifying things they want to do, independent of whether the things they want to do are a good idea.

Another problem is that you justify having candy by saying you won't have a glass of wine, but then you have the glass of wine and justify it by saying you'll skip something else later, and so on. Promising to eat less in the future can't make you lose weight now. If it could, losing weight would be a lot easier than it is, and there would be a lot fewer overweight people than there are. No S kind of turns this on its head- you can't have sweets now on an N day, but you can promise them to yourself later.
Thalia wrote:If it's dark and high quality enough, one square is actually enough. That stuff can really be intensely flavored, you can't just shovel it in like M&M's.
You say I can't? Just watch me.