Someone Please Remind Me to Stop Trying Out the Newest Diet!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

janiean1

Someone Please Remind Me to Stop Trying Out the Newest Diet!

Post by janiean1 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm back once again after some time of trying out the latest diet. When I check out at a store, I'm always looking for the next newest diet in a magazine! Every time I try something new, I always get that feeling of failure, or spend lots of time trying to figure out what I can eat or not eat. My mother is no longer living, but I think about the way she would eat, and how she never really had an issue with weight. She would say.. "just eat three meals a day and cut back." Also, my mom would cook an abundance of food on holidays. She might also bake a chocolate cake or make cookies on the weekend. This is how I ate growing up, and never had a problem with my weight then. I've got to begin this again! When I did stay with it, it felt so freeing to be able to eat like a normal person again. Recipes and cooking were so much more fun, too.
Anyway, just a quick hello, and I am back for some much needed support![/i]

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 pm

I think it is really hard to avoid the diet industry if you are a woman in this country. There are many exhortations I have gotten more used to ignoring, but even after my years of involvement here on NO S, I still feel prone. I'm not sure I will ever be cured from some curiosity as long as I live in a city and get out of the house. Therapists report that body dissatisfaction is the norm among American white women. I sometimes think I'd have to go work for an NGO in some refugee camp to forget about it completely. Or get a life-threatening illness. Sad! It sounds like even women who have happy family lives and jobs they like are vulnerable.

But, still, STOP LOOKING! There, I said it. Keep remembering your mother's wisdom, though you don't need to try to be the little baker she was until you feel REALLY solid. (Baking was my weak point, and I still don't bake anything sweet, even after 40 months. Just not worth the risk.) Tell yourself you're taking two years off from any other system, and you can try something else after that.

It's worth the effort! Both to stick to No S and ignore the hype.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 18, 2013 1:42 am

STOP TRYING OUT THE NEWEST DIET!

They don't work anyway -- at least not for any length of time.

Reinhard recently wrote this:
But we live in a society where food is ubiquitous and cheap as garbage, where there are few social structures to discourage constant eating, where, on the contrary, we are constantly encouraged to eat, by marketers and even by self-styled health gurus...

...I don't view it as a "diet," but as a stand-in for cultural structures which no longer exist in a meaningful way. It's a replacement for (sadly) lost traditions -- though hopefully, if enough of us start eating this way again, we might build not only good personal habits, but rebuild some of these traditions again on a societal level.
Your mom was following what was the tradition at the time and still is in many parts of the world. Just follow what has traditionally worked.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

friscobob

No S Is The Way To Go

Post by friscobob » Sat May 18, 2013 1:51 am

I had tried all sorts of diets before trying the No S Diet, and it's the only diet that I can see that is sustainable long term for lasting weight loss. I have maintained my weight loss for 3 years now, and after a while the No S System becomes less of a diet and more of a lifestyle. Other diets want you to restrict certain foods completely, and follow specific diets, low carb, high protein, or whatever. No S is the least restrictive, most sensible diet I know of. There will always be hype, the latest diet, the latest exercise machine or whatever. But what do we really need long term for life? Good health and fitness! And this can be obtained and maintained by following the No S lifestyle of sensible eating along with sensible sustainable exercise such as Shovelglove or walking. Reinhard is a genius!
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue May 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Welcome back! I could have written this. I come back every time I fall off the wagon and start browsing the diet choices. That happens way too frequently. (Like today actually) :roll: We will stick with it this time!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed May 29, 2013 3:14 pm

oolala53 wrote:I think it is really hard to avoid the diet industry if you are a woman in this country. There are many exhortations I have gotten more used to ignoring, but even after my years of involvement here on NO S, I still feel prone. I'm not sure I will ever be cured from some curiosity as long as I live in a city and get out of the house. Therapists report that body dissatisfaction is the norm among American white women. I sometimes think I'd have to go work for an NGO in some refugee camp to forget about it completely. Or get a life-threatening illness. Sad! It sounds like even women who have happy family lives and jobs they like are vulnerable.

But, still, STOP LOOKING! There, I said it. Keep remembering your mother's wisdom, though you don't need to try to be the little baker she was until you feel REALLY solid. (Baking was my weak point, and I still don't bake anything sweet, even after 40 months. Just not worth the risk.) Tell yourself you're taking two years off from any other system, and you can try something else after that.

It's worth the effort! Both to stick to No S and ignore the hype.
Definitely, the destruction of women's self worth is an industry just like the diet industry. Lots of companies would lose money if we did not need to buy their diet foods or potions. You have to block it out just as you block out diets, but our society sure does not make it easy.

I bake on the weekends! No shame in that. If there's any leftovers, freeze them or take to your coworkers. It's fun sharing what you're proud of after you've eaten your fill.

Christine

Post by Christine » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 am

janiean1, Hi, you sound just like me! We had "normal" food, Mom would bake, and neither she nor I were overweight (but she smoked). Even when I used to sew my clothes in the basement and run back and forth to the broom closet in the stair landing and grab candy to snack on!

I lost 65 lbs. with Medifast a few years ago, and during an extremely stressful past year I've ended up gaining back about 20 lbs. I HATE IT!!! I just realized recently that the most prevalent way I'd kept it off during the past few years is go back on Medifast for months at a time, albeit half-heartedly (possibly) most of those times. And the way I realized that was I looked at my order history on the Medifast web site and was shocked to see how often I'd ordered. No more. It was very good the first time, but you have to end up eating real food!!! So I, too, want to get back to the unconscious, non-emotional eating of my childhood. I think this is probably the best way.
I'm a Mac