Can I do "No S" even though I have acid reflux?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TingTing

Can I do "No S" even though I have acid reflux?

Post by TingTing » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi All!

I haven't been here for awhile.

I have been suffering from acid reflux for years. My medicines are starting not to work for me anymore. I decided that I should try to eat better and I researched how to eat as a heartburn sufferer. All the websites say I should eat many times throughout the day, just in small amounts of food. How can I do "No S" if I have to eat alot throughout the day as oppose to the traditional "No S" diet of breakfast, lunch and dinner and no snacks in between?

It's been pretty rough for me lately as I've not been feeling well and that has been driving me to eat more than I should. :( I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you kindly!!! :D

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:09 pm

The book addresses this. Essentially, you pre-determine the number of meals you need to have and eat only then. So if you decide that five small meals (7, 10, 1, 4 and 7) keep your acid reflux managed then that is when you eat. No nibbling at 9AM or 3PM.

I would use a small plate, too.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm glad you asked this! I have been suffering from the same thing, and I also am going to have to eat at least 4 times a day, maybe 5. I'm working on shifting to more frequent, smaller meals, but it's hard, because I really do prefer eating 3 times a day. :(

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:09 pm

I asked thumbs question a few weeks ago lots of answers there the post is called digestive issues if that helps you. What I did is just eat 3 meals from smaller plates and surprisingly that tied me over. Another thing I do if its a particular hungry day is dish up all my food one a normal size plate and then halve it between 2 meals so I end up having 6 meals a day but I eat the same amount as if I had 3.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:49 pm

I'll have to find that thread! Those are some good ideas.

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:28 pm

I've acquired a case of frequent heartburn over the last several years. Was tired of the Tums-popping and OTC drugs to relieve it. It took a couple of weeks of 3-plate No S and it has been gone, gone, gone for a year.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Wow, Noni. That's good to know!

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:21 pm

I have heartburn, but Prilosec or Prevacid keeps it under control.

Being overweight does increase your risk for heartburn, so losing weight might help (though I got heartburn even when I was thinner).

The "no seconds" rule will probably help, if you've been eating seconds at meals until now.

Does drinking water, milk, or any other beverage help your heartburn? Beverages are not snacks. Use common sense to determine which ones are and aren't sweets.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:26 am

I tried omeprazole and Zantac, but I reacted badly to both of them. I'm still overweight since I had my son 21 months ago, but I've lost 35 pounds to date, so I'm making progress. :D I've let myself get lax on the No S rules, but I'm working on complying with the rules again. I'm committing to the June challenge to help keep me accountable.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 am

Just wondering if this is particularly a problem during the nigt or all day as well-? You could compromise and eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day for a while and then cut them down gradually back to 3 and see how that goes. Maybe watch the timing, and eat all 3 a bit earlier than you were used to, if the problem is mostly at night.
I don't mean to say go against what your Dr. says, but maybe that can be temporary followed by a gradual return to vanilla NoS when your weight is lower and you're feeling better, meds have kicked in, etc.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".