The SAD Life

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Blithe Morning

The SAD Life

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:38 am

Funny article about life on Weight Watchers. You could substitute any substance accounting diet (SAD).

This part made me laugh:

I also enjoy hearing members talk about weekly challenges, which often run along these lines: I went on a visit to my sister’s house and though she knew I was on plan and I had brought my own crate of water-packed tuna, she insisted on making fried chicken and creamed corn and lemon meringue pie, holding a gun on me till I finished every bite. I was so upset that on the way home I bought one of those big plastic packs of miniature Milky Ways meaning to eat just one and throw out the rest, but I was just so annoyed I ended up eating every one. I knew what I was doing, but I just could not stop.

And we all sigh sympathetically and I go home thinking, “Well, I may not be perfect when it comes to eating sugar rich foods that are high in empty calories, but at least I do not have a sister.â€

No Nachos for You, General ZOD

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:54 am

How SAD that many people think and act that way about food. It's so unnecessary.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:18 pm

That was really funny!
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:35 pm

That's funny!

One of the comments on the article over at the NYT site was interesting (italics mine):
Weight Watchers own scientists--ie, not objective, third-party scientists--can only document a success rate of about a five pound loss over a two year period. If I spent two years thinking about life through the totally ineffective lens of calorie counting etc for such a poor result, I would hate myself.

It is yo-yo dieting, packaged as "sensible." The blame always falls on the dieter for regaining: willpower, what have you, utter nonsense.

There simply is no method for long term weight loss at this time. For over fifty years huge amounts of research money have been thrown at this issue, and the statistics remain the same: less than one percent of people keep the weight off for over two years.
I have a feeling the percentage of long-term success has got to be a lot higher for NoS. (I'm about to come to the end of year four, myself.)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Ha! Poor author. Odds are she'll end up regaining. Did you see where she said, "I always lose weight on it."? (It's at the point at which when people say they lost weight on such and such a diet, I think, So what? I don't care what you weigh now. I want to see you in two years.)

And what a lens to see life through. Points for flinging an enemy pilot to his death.

I predict multiple margaritas at some point soon, after the 7-week "fast."

It's funnier now that I'm not under the points thumb.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

noni

Post by noni » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:33 pm

oolala53 wrote:(It's at the point at which when people say they lost weight on such and such a diet, I think, So what? I don't care what you weigh now. I want to see you in two years.)

LOL... It reminds me of an old friend of my parents who said many years ago, "When people find out that I am a pastor they are quick to tell me that they recently became a Christian. I say to them, 'Tell me all about it 5 years from now.'"