Quick Recipe

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Quick Recipe

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:09 am

Occasionally someone will mention that they wish we'd share favorite recipes. So I'm sharing a new favorite.

I saw this recipe mentioned yesterday in the comments at a blog. Including the prep time, this One-Pan Pasta which appeared in the June, 2013 issue of Martha Stewart Living takes less than 30 minutes. Here's a video.

I had everything but the basil on hand and decided to make it. I sprinkled flat leaf parsley on top at the end. It was delicious! If you are serving people who aren't fond of spice, reduce the crushed red pepper flakes. Neither of us dislike spicy foods, but we aren't overly fond of them, either. We both thought it could be less spicy and still be very good.

At about 5 minutes into the boiling time I thought there was no way the liquid would reduce enough to make a sauce and not be soupy, but it did.

In addition to being very tasty, it's made with ingredients I usually have on hand. I'm thinking about trying it with diced or crushed tomatoes just in case I don't have cherry or grape tomatoes on hand. Actually, I think it might be good without the tomatoes, a one pan version of spaghetti aglio e olio.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 am

I wonder how this would taste cold? If I were to make it in the morning and then it chill all day...?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:I wonder how this would taste cold? If I were to make it in the morning and then it chill all day...?
I think the texture would be off. I knew I wasn't going to save the leftovers and had a little with my dinner (a leftover buffet). I didn't reheat them and they were a little gummy. I think this is a dish best served warm.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Looks good (and easy.) I'll try it.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

Christine

Post by Christine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:55 pm

leafy_greens wrote:Looks good (and easy.) I'll try it.
Me too! Yummy!
I'm a Mac

noni

Post by noni » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Wosnes, Thank you for this recipe! I can't wait until my cherry tomatoes are pick worthy. This looks to be very versatile. Mushrooms or small florets of broccoli, or spinach - anything that can be tender in 9 minutes. And I'm sure your canned diced tomatoes will do fine here.

I do a lasagna without boiling the noodles, as well (not the 'no-boil kind). If I add a little extra sauce between the layers and cover and refrigerate it overnight, you can't even tell that the noodles weren't boiled. I was in a hurry one time and did it all in one day, but there really was a difference in the density of the lasagna noodles without their overnight soaking.

la_loser

Links to a couple of recipe threads

Post by la_loser » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 am

This looks tasty. I have a (no boil ahead) lasagna recipe I used in my microwave cooking classes back in the 80's!

Regarding a recipe thread, a few have been started through the years. Here's the link to one which had quite a few entries and another that popped up on a search as well.

Recipes for Homemade, Quick, Simple, Delicious and Healthy... person who started the thread set up some parameters for its use.
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=recipe

Interesting recipes:
http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=recipe

I do kind of like the idea of posting whatever kind of recipes we want to share because with No S we are not restricted from EVER having some of those goodies we'd never eat on a regular basis on No S. ? . so these two threads could each serve a purpose.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol: