Hello

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jw

Hello

Post by jw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:41 pm

New member here -- 61 years old, no health problems or previous long dieting history, but have become quite overweight over the last 10 years with low carb dieting and rebounding and am now at BMI of 33. I started No S last Saturday, didn't do the S days that weekend, because it seemed strange to start with a "free" day, but did have a little snack on Independence Day. My first real S days are coming up.

It has been so refreshingly easy and calm to do the N days, I am a little afraid to break the pattern! Also, my favorite treats come in large containers (surely part of my problem!), so I am going to have to shop around for single servings of exactly what I want . . . I have created an account and am logging in as a precaution. Everyone here seems so full of good will!
Last edited by jw on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Welcome jw! You should have taken the S days because you cannot fail on an S day.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

jw

Hello

Post by jw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:29 pm

True! I guess I was afraid I'd never start at all if I started with a free day -- but it does mean I have two fail safe days coming up!
Thanks so much for your reply!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi, JW! Welcome to No-S! :D
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

jw

Hello

Post by jw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:53 am

Thank you, JamminJan! I also loved The Prisoner!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:36 am

Hooray!! :lol:
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:16 am

Welcome! :D
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

Bssh

Post by Bssh » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:49 am

Welcome jw. Keep posting on here for support - it's a great forum.
Start BMI 36, current BMI 19, goal BMI 19.
Losing by combining intermittent fasting with NoS.

jw

Hello

Post by jw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for the welcome, Bssh and Zippa Dee!

You know, I felt very calm all week on N days and very hesitant to snack on some dried pineapple on Thursday's S day, but woke up last night with a piece of cherry pie on my mind. And today, I will take care of that little obsession -- right after breakfast! Legally!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 pm

Welcome! Well, isn't that a statement: low carb dieting and rebounding over 10 years have left you weighing more. There ought to be a law that people have to follow No S for two years before they are allowed to try any other diet.

Welcome to sanity. Now don't let go!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

jw

Post by jw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:54 pm

yes, oolala -- I was only mildly overweight when I started, did low carb a total of three times, lost a lot of weight (anywhere from 30 - 60 lbs) and each time gained back more the minute I started eating carbs. It's a trap because it seems like it is effective -- until it isn't! I am looking for a diet I won't go "off."

Thanks for your welcome -- I appreciated your comments on amazon reviews when I ordered the book as well as on this board!

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:28 am

Welcome to NoS sanity! :D

As a newbie, I found it very helpful to read through the NoS Catchphrase sticky at the top of this forum. It is chockful of pithy statements, mottoes, word pictures, and well worth browsing for continued encouragement, especially when dealing with "diethead"....
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:00 am

jw wrote:It's a trap because it seems like it is effective -- until it isn't! I am looking for a diet I won't go "off."!
One of the things I like about No-S is that what you do to lose the weight is what you do to maintain the weight loss.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

jw

Post by jw » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 am

vmsurbat, I am reading through many old posts on the forum, including the stickies -- very inspiring. Thank you for your encouragement!

wosnes, that's exactly what appeals to me -- the "diet" is also the maintenance. I read that 95% of conventional dieters regain all the weight they lose, and I don't want that to happen again to me. But I also don't want to drag through the rest of my life with all this extra poundage! This sounds like a solution.

Christine

Post by Christine » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:04 pm

jw wrote:vmsurbat, I am reading through many old posts on the forum, including the stickies -- very inspiring. Thank you for your encouragement!

wosnes, that's exactly what appeals to me -- the "diet" is also the maintenance. I read that 95% of conventional dieters regain all the weight they lose, and I don't want that to happen again to me. But I also don't want to drag through the rest of my life with all this extra poundage! This sounds like a solution.
Hi JW, welcome!!! I'm pretty much a newbie myself, and have had a similar diet background except a lot more of it. Hope you're doing OK so far! Ditto the diet being the maintenance idea, I love it!
I'm a Mac

jw

Post by jw » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:13 pm

Christine, so nice of you to check in! So far, so good -- like you, no slips up to now, though there have been some near misses while preparing hors d'oeuvres for an event. Also, I am 6 pounds down since June 29. I know that's not the focus, but I am still happy about it!

I don't think I am eating less at meals -- I cook almost all my meals in a 10" cast iron skillet. I used to fill my little bowl three or four times, and now it's all on one plate -- but I still eat the contents of that skillet! The no sweets/no snacks is what is making the difference for me.

I am interested to read about your IF experience. I tried it briefly a few years ago -- I had no trouble with hunger, but I got very short-tempered, so gave it up. I am wondering now if it might work with No-S sometime down the line.

Going out to dinner tonight -- glad it's a day when I won't have to second-guess myself! :)
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

Christine

Post by Christine » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm

jw wrote:Going out to dinner tonight -- glad it's a day when I won't have to second-guess myself! :)
Ahh, brilliant. Hope you really enjoyed it! :)
I'm a Mac