Running DOWN the UP Escalator

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BrightAngel

Running DOWN the UP Escalator

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:47 pm

We No S members come in many different sizes and ages.
Developing No S eating habits can be helpful to all,
however, the degree to which No S behavior causes weight-loss varies,
which means it doesn't bring the same results to everyone.

Some who have been struggling with years of Obesity, might find this article Helpful.

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=875
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Very interesting, and depressing. I'm still working on losing 27 more pounds of pregnancy weight, after giving birth to my second child in Aug. of 2011. It has been much more difficult this time around. I know age is part of it. I was 32 when I had my first child and 36 when I had my second child. There are some other issues I'm working on right now. I have come to realize that I have to be much more careful about monitoring my eating now than I was before getting pregnant. I know I'll have to be even more careful, the older I get.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:20 am

This is why I don't want to push myself to try to get to a much lower weight. I might fit the image more but I don't think it would have a lot more benefit to my health or vitality. For the most part, I feel I eat well without a terrible amount of stress. I think if I felt that I had to weigh in the lower end of my BMI range- get down the escalator farther-, I would have to do a lot more thinking about and restricting of my food. To some, this is worth it, so mazel tov, but my complaints right now are minor in the scheme of things.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Dale

Post by Dale » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:56 am

Yes, it's frustrating that the more you lose weight, the less calories you burn and the less you can eat to keep losing! I would love to go back to eating the amount of food I did when I was in my 30s and weighed 120lb without trying, but I know if I get to 120lb, I'll have to eat a lot less because my body has changed. I've even wondered if I'd be happy to stay in the overweight range, just to make it easier to maintain.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:14 pm

I started No S within about 10 lbs of my goal weight. While I would still like to lose it, I find that following No S makes me a lot less panicky to lose those 10 lbs. If I don't, I guess that's ok. I believe that No S removes some of the weight obsession.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

Bssh

Post by Bssh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Great, and sobering, article, thanks for sharing it. Yes, weight loss and maintaining weight loss is a lifelong journey. This is why I really like NoS as a maintenance strategy, because it feels incredibly straightforward and natural. I'm actually now losing weight again following NoS (even on weeks I haven't managed to fast), having thought I'd stick to maintaining my 65+lb weight loss. NoS really suits me and it's for life.
Start BMI 36, current BMI 19, goal BMI 19.
Losing by combining intermittent fasting with NoS.

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:45 am

As we get older our resting metabolism goes down due to aging itself and loss of lean mass.

A combination of eating less and working out would help mitigate the metabolic decline and maintain/drop weight.

I have a retired neighbor who's as slim as ever, claims he eats as much as he always has and walks 4-6 hours daily, wearing shirt, pants and brogan shoes.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Bssh

Post by Bssh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:45 am

Yes, exercise is very important to keep the metabolism up. I'm in my 40s but because I have a good mass of muscles (I run and lift heavy weights) my metabolism is really strong and I can still eat more than many of my friends (over 2000 calories, not that I count any more) and maintain a normal BMI (though now I seem to be losing weight again). I put it down to muscle.
Start BMI 36, current BMI 19, goal BMI 19.
Losing by combining intermittent fasting with NoS.