"How to Cook Everything"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jammin' Jan

"How to Cook Everything"

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 pm

The app for Mark Bittman's wonderful and really big cookbook is free for ipad right now. It's usually $9.99. Very well organized with lots of wonderful ideas for our three plates a day.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

la_loser

Free app...

Post by la_loser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:22 am

Thanks for the hot tip. I had looked through a long list of the ones they're offering free right now during their celebration but hadn't noticed this one, when I did a search in the App Store for Bittman, several of his books popped up and I am pretty sure they ALL said free at first glance. Then I clicked "purchase" for free. While it was downloading, the price on the others changed to their regular price. (Vegetarian one 9.99; cooking basics 7.99) and the iPhone versions of same, etc.)

So if you go there, make sure to purchase the one you want the most for free! I suspect, it's letting us buy ONE free...) I see there's also a teaser version that's always free but isn't the complete book.

So buyers beware. The book looks great - lots of good solid basic stuff. Might want to clue on your 20 something kids/ friends who are just beginning to master this whole cooking thing!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:48 pm

I was looking at Michael Pollan books and one of the recommendations at the bottom of the page was this: My Virgin Diet CookBook:: The Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Peanut-Free, Corn-Free and Sugar-Free Cookbook. :shock:

Apparently this is a compliment book to the JJ Virgin diet. I'm not exactly sure what that is, but it sounds miserable.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

SuperMysteryCat

Post by SuperMysteryCat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:39 pm

leafy_greens wrote:I was looking at Michael Pollan books and one of the recommendations at the bottom of the page was this: My Virgin Diet CookBook:: The Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Peanut-Free, Corn-Free and Sugar-Free Cookbook. :shock:

Apparently this is a compliment book to the JJ Virgin diet. I'm not exactly sure what that is, but it sounds miserable.
I just had to look that diet up, because it does sound just awful. It's genius! Classic diet fad: "Drop 7 foods, lose 7 pounds in just 7 days!" She even sells shakes to go with the diet. Of course.

Broca

Post by Broca » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks so much for posting about this app! I have downloaded it to my phone and will enjoy using it! And it was free! You can't beat that!