Time to stop lurking and jump in!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Broca

Time to stop lurking and jump in!

Post by Broca » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:59 am

Hi all. I have lurked here for quite some time. I figured I would introduce myself finally. I started No S in 2011 but it didn't stick because I started working full time in an office that loves to snack! Recently I have recommitted and have had a successful two months. Something that has really helped me is the 'Way of Life' app somebody on this forum mentioned.

I've learned so much reading this board and the very interesting articles people have posted that support the No S way of eating. It's so basic and simple, it makes you realize how complicated food has become in our culture. I recently read "French Kids Eat Everything" and thought it was quite an eye opener!

A personal trainer at my gym today was telling me how I need to eat six meals a day and I just shook my head and told him "I won't do it." I have thought I might need something small before I go to the gym because I go after work at 5:30 and I haven't eaten since noon. I find I tire out pretty quickly. Does anybody eat a small fourth "meal" before working out? I didn't quite know what to say to the personal trainer, though! It seems so odd to have to defend my choice not to eat all the time! Like I'm an anorexic or something.

Anyway, I'm so glad to have this source of information and support. Thanks all!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:08 am

Welcome, Broca! I had that same conversation with a gym trainer. I like no-S better. Many of us have added a "mod" (modification) to the basic program. Maybe a 4th small meal will be yours.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:08 am

Welcome, Broca! I had that same conversation with a gym trainer. I like no-S better. Many of us have added a "mod" (modification) to the basic program. Maybe a 4th small meal will be yours.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:46 am

Hi and welcome! I drink 2% milk before or after a workout. I am afraid to mod, that's just me.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Broca

Post by Broca » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:48 am

Thanks Jan! I feel so good on vanilla No S it makes me nervous to add anything, but I think a peanut butter sandwich before the gym once or twice a week should be okay.

The trainer was saying that the six meals he recommends would be ok because they are each only the size of the palm of your hand. How unsatisfying does that sound!? I love No S because I can eat real portions (not huge or tiny) of real food! And it's amazing how much healthier my food choices are because I know it has to last me until my next meal.

SuperMysteryCat

Post by SuperMysteryCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 am

Your trainer apparently thinks you live in a lab.

Six tiny meals sound awful. Can you imagine how much time you would spend counting calories and weighing food?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:37 am

With all due respect to your trainer, anyone who makes his/her living getting people to use a gym is never going to understand the wisdom of something as simple as No S. Nor Urban Ranger and Shovelglove.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:10 am

Welcome, Broca!

Before going the pb sandwich route, you *might* try the glass of milk (full-fat even) before your workout; that will fuel you AND keep to vanilla NoS rules. Just a thought!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:37 am

Welcome, Broca!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Broca

Post by Broca » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:20 am

Snapdragon, I will definitely try some milk before going to the gym one day and see how that goes. I'm with you - I don't want to screw with things because it is a slippery slope! I'll forget the sandwich one day and say to myself, hey there's cake, I need something before I go work out....

Supermysterycat, I told the trainer I have tried small meals before and it's too much work. Too much worrying about when to eat next, what to eat...

oolala, I agree with you - I am looking for simplicity! The trainer was actually trying to sell me his services. I want activities that will keep me fit that I can enjoy! Biking, walking, etc. I do enjoy the classes at my gym though, which is why I was there, and go to those at least once a week. I have learned over the last year or so that if I don't enjoy it and it isn't convenient, I'm not going to do it! I did do a class last week where we used kettlebells a lot and I understand that the kettlebell swing is a great all over exercise - kind of like a shovelglove, I think.

Thanks for you input everyone and the warm welcome! I feel better about telling the trainer thanks but no thanks!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Our agrarian ancestors used to get up in the morning, work for several hours, then come back and have breakfast. Most of them probably spent more energy in those hours than we do all day, including workouts.

Then they worked more and had lunch and worked and had dinner.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:14 pm

The Nepalese peasants I saw up in the mountains back in 1979 worked for a few hours in the morning before having anything but hot water. Their breakfasts were meager. They carried at least 50 lbs. of stuff (can't think of the word) strapped across their heads and resting on their backs up and own trails, always passing us Westerners. They wouldn't know what a protein shake was.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Broca

Post by Broca » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:02 am

That's very interesting oolala and wosnes. That's something to remember when you finish a plate of food and worry that you didn't eat enough!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:17 am

Broca wrote:That's very interesting oolala and wosnes. That's something to remember when you finish a plate of food and worry that you didn't eat enough!
Also when someone says that you need a snack before a workout.

Broca

Post by Broca » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 am

:lol: