Happy National Ice Cream Day!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

snapdragon

Happy National Ice Cream Day!

Post by snapdragon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Today is National Ice Cream Day declared by President Reagan. Enjoy!

Not sure I will partake yet but its nice to have that choice!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:49 pm

I recently got a Cuisinart ice cream maker with the thought of making healthy yogurt and fruit treats suitable for N days (or of course for any day). It is a great little item. We have tried the full blown rich ice cream, the yogurt, and the modified methods with artificial sweetener. I wish that it contained more recipes though.

PS. I got it for under $50 but it retails at $60.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:56 pm

I have considerd an ice cream maker, but my kitchen is small and I have no place to put the darn thing. Not sure how often I would use it though my husband eats a quart of ice cream every weekend!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:02 pm

And it's an S-Day, too :lol:
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Oh, darn! I just went out to lunch with my daughter and we stopped at Trader Joe's afterwards. I could have gotten ice cream or ingredients, but I didn't know. Oh, well......
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

la_loser

Ice Cream Recipes

Post by la_loser » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:19 pm

R Jean,
We have the Cuisinart ice Cream Maker too (1 1/2 quart maker). Here are some recipes we use in ours. None of these are low fat or low sugar, believe me, but the ones we've tried are delicious. (The booklet that came with it gives suggestions on how to reduce the fat and sugar if desired but cautions that the result might not be as creamy and rich! Well, duh.) I got the recipes from a friend who has tried all of them. I'm not sure what her source was.

You could substitute other fruits for the strawberries, depending on what's in season. It's especially good with peaches! And remember you do have to chill the mixture before placing it in the maker. You may notice my recipes don't have any yogurt or "healthier" recipes! Oh, well.

Snapdragon, it takes up about as much space as a food processor, but it's really worth it. And certainly not as much of a hassle as breaking out the old electric freezer that requires ice and salt and makes a mess! You do have to keep the "bowl" for freezing the ice cream in the freezer in between makings, or at least plan ahead enough to be able to be chilled sufficiently before making the yogurt or ice cream.

Happy National Ice Cream Day! (For those of you who are not in the US, this will be one "holiday" you'd probably not mind borrowing from us! I looked it up and find that Reagan declared July national ice cream MONTH as well as July 21 as the big day!) Enjoy!

NOTE: These were created for traditional ice cream freezer so it may make a little more "mixture" than you would use in the 1 1/2 quart maker. Since the mixtures can be refrigerated for a few days before using, you could actually make a double making probably. . . my husband is my ice cream chef and I don't remember his thinking there was much of a problem.

Vanilla Ice Cream
Ingredients
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups half-and-half cream
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions
In a large bowl, combine the heavy cream and the half and half. Gradually whisk in the sugar until blended.
Whisk in the vanilla. Refrigerate, covered, until very cold, at least 3 hours or as long as 3 days.
Whisk the mixture to blend and pour into the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Eat at once or transfer to a covered container and freeze up to 8 hours.

Vanilla Ice Cream
Ingredients
4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Whole milk
Directions
With an electric mixer, cream eggs and sugar. Add evaporated milk, condensed milk, and vanilla. Beat well. Pour into an electric ice cream churn. Add whole milk to fill line. Insert dasher. Pack cooler 1/3 full with ice. Add a layer of rock salt. Repeat layering with ice and salt until full. Note: be careful not to overfill, spilling salt into the churn. When machine starts to labor or shut off, remove the dasher and drain water. Fill with more ice and salt. Cover with a towel and let harden.
* For fruit ice cream such as strawberry or peach: 2 cups sliced fresh fruit covered with 1 cup sugar. Add to mixture before whole milk, and mix well.
Note: For those concerned about raw eggs, pasteurized liquid

Magic Strawberry Ice Cream
8 oz strawberries, hulled (1.5 c)
½ c sweetened condensed milk
1 oz. white chocolate chips
1 T vodka
½ t vanilla
pinch of salt
1 ¼ c heavy cream, chilled
Directions: Process strawberries in food processer for about 30 seconds. Microwave sweetened condensed milk, white chocolate chips and vodka in large bowl until melted, about 1 minute. Whisk in strawberries, vanilla and salt. Place all ingredients in ice cream machine until done.

Espresso Ice Cream

Ingredients
3 cups half-and-half
6 extra-large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
Pinch salt
2 1/2 tablespoons ground espresso coffee beans, decaffeinated or regular
1 tablespoon coffee liqueur (recommended: Kahlua)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 ounces (1/2 cup) chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped
Directions
Heat the half-and-half until it forms bubbles around the edge of the pan and steam starts to rise. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the egg yolks, sugar, and salt until mixed. Slowly add the hot half-and-half until combined. Wipe out the pan and pour the mixture back into the clean pan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 10 minutes, until it's thickened and the cream coats the back of the spoon.
Pour the cream through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl. Add the ground espresso beans, coffee liqueur, and vanilla and refrigerate until completely chilled.
Pour the espresso cream into an ice-cream freezer and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Mix in the chopped espresso beans, spoon into a container, and allow to freeze for a few hours. Soften slightly before serving.

Chocolate Ice Cream

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder, approximately 1/2 cup
3 cups half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
8 large egg yolks
9 ounces sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions
Place the cocoa powder along with 1 cup of the half-and-half into a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine. Add the remaining half-and-half and the heavy cream. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.

I'm getting more excited that we're going to a friend's to celebrate her husband's birthday tonight and she has one of these ice cream makers. She had texted me that she has five different kinds of ice creams to go with the pies she's made for tonight. Soooo glad it's Sunday!
:lol:
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Wow! Thanks LA Loser. I am going to try the Espresso first. I reserve the good stuff for S days and experiment with healthy stuff occasionally during the week. I generally end up with a smoothie type mixture. It is still a work in progress.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.