Meal times or rather duration

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Monch66

Meal times or rather duration

Post by Monch66 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi all my wife and I have just started (4 days in) the no s diet.

Just a quick question on meals or rather duration. we don't eat very fast. is there a time limit on a meal or, like i suspect, its basically 1 plate till you are done?

Kind of a newbie question i know.

Thanks Everyone

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 pm

I don't think there's any limit on mealtimes.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jethro

Re: Meal times or rather duration

Post by Jethro » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:57 am

Monch66 wrote:Hi all my wife and I have just started (4 days in) the no s diet.

Just a quick question on meals or rather duration. we don't eat very fast. is there a time limit on a meal or, like i suspect, its basically 1 plate till you are done?

Thanks Everyone
Slow eating is good. You get to savor your food.

Rather than "cleaning" a plate, eat until full.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

Nicest of the Damned

Re: Meal times or rather duration

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:08 am

Jethro wrote:
Monch66 wrote:Hi all my wife and I have just started (4 days in) the no s diet.

Thanks Everyone
Slow eating is good. You get to savor your food.

Rather than "cleaning" a plate, eat until full.
I was trying to eat slower until Nicest Baby was born. There is research showing a correlation between eating fast and being overweight (though, of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that eating fast causes people to be overweight, or that deliberately eating slower will cause someone to lose weight). Now, I eat even faster than before, because Nicest Baby is likely to get bored and fussy sitting in her high chair waiting for me to finish eating. Ah well, maybe I will try again to eat slower when this isn't an issue any more.

There's no time limit on meals, at least not for people who don't have babies at the table. The one plate rule keeps you from eating too much, no matter how long you take to eat it.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:12 am

It's not mentioned, but it's pretty commonly cited that it takes at least 20 minutes for the brain center to register the food that is eaten. You'll feel even more satisfied with less if you take longer. I sometimes purposely stop for a few minutes, even getting up to get the mail or something, between the savory part of the meal and the fruit. My meals typically last about 35 minutes, and I eat alone. But I wouldn't take much more than an hour.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:59 pm

If this is truly just a long meal, that's wonderful.

If, however, you're thinking "ok this one plate of food is my allotment" and you eat it all afternoon or come and go back to the plate throughout an evening, then it could be more like snacking. I'm assuming you just meant sitting down to a long meal and eating it all within, say, an hour.

Alot of new people to the thread have lots of questions about the "letter of the law" -- when really if they understand the spirit of the thing -- eat three moderate meals a day and teach yourself that going back for more food in between is off-limits - it makes it easy to figure out.

Hey, if you lose weight faster than your wife, don't gloat! Men here seem to have an easier time, but the women do really well too, over time. It's a marathon, not a sprint.