Needing some encouragement

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Tess

Needing some encouragement

Post by Tess » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Hello all!

I "discovered" the No-S diet about two weeks ago and have been following it for just 10 days or so. I'm really enjoying the process - something I never thought I would say about a diet. But it all feels natural to me, and I truly do enjoy my food more. Lunch, which used to feel like such a chore, is now an event I enjoy.

HOWEVER... I must admit that I am getting discouraged that the scale has not budged in these 10 days. It seems like every other story I read talked about losing weight immediately. I would love to hear from other No-S-ers about their weight loss progress. How long did it take before you noticed yourself losing weight? How often do you weigh yourself?

I know RE has said that gaining weight is the status quo, so if we are simply maintaining our current weight, that is progress. That's dandy, and I am glad I'm not gaining, but I'm still discouraged I'm not losing any weight. My goal is to lose 30 lbs to get to the weight where I feel most comfortable for my frame. Using RE's model of 1/2 lb. per week, I'd reach that goal by October, 2014.

(Currently 180, 5' 7". I am female, if that matters.)

I have also been doing Shovelglove or other high-intensity activity (like actually chopping wood for winter) for the prescribed 14 min/day. Sometimes I also take a long bike ride, or head out for a 30 min. walk around the neighborhood. So it's not like I'm not exercising. And I truly am sticking to the N/S days, so I'm not getting hidden calories anywhere that I'm aware of.

So how about it? How long did it take you to start losing weight? I could just use some words of encouragement in general.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate any feedback and advice!

Broca

Post by Broca » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi Tess, I've only been at it for a few months, but it took me a month or so before I started to notice any loss and since then I've steadily lost about a pound a week for the past four weeks. I just concentrated on establishing the pattern in the beginning. I kind of think of it like a car traveling really fast. In order to turn around and go the other way it has to kind of stop and slow down and turn around slowly before it can pick up speed going the other way. Does that make sense? Stick with it! You'll be amazed at the way your attitudes toward food will change (at least they did for me!). Good luck.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Ten days is nothing. See what happens after 10 weeks.

My youngest son (he's 19 and does P90x five times a week, has for more than a year) started No S last month. Two weeks in he claimed he lost nothing. He was really mad about it. He's a daily weigh-er and said that his "weight was still the same."

I probed a little and found out that yes, his weight had dropped a little but then popped up the next day.

I told him my experience with weighing; my weight would fluctuate by a few pounds but I could always tell that I was losing because each week I would hit a new low. Often, this new low would be just a few ounces less than the previous week but it was a downward trend.

He agreed to give to keep at it and last night wore a shirt that as recently as the 4th of July did not fit.

So keep at it.

As a woman, you may have to make some modifications eventually but don't go there yet. Think of No S now as starting off on your maintenance plan and then when you have that down (6 months to a year, and yes, I'm serious) then look at making some modifications such smaller plates or more fruit and veggies or less animal products.

Take the pressure off and let your mind and maybe even your body heal from all the crazy diets. You are doing so many things well, your body will eventually get to where it should be.

Tess

Post by Tess » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, all!

I guess I am generally a very impatient person and had been used to seeing "results" more quickly following other diets... but of course, I could never stick to those diets!

I will follow your advice and just stick with it. I'll check back in at the end of August; that'll be about 6 weeks on the plan, so perhaps something will have shifted.

You are right; I just need to focus on "the motions," and my attitude toward health and food.

Thanks all!

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:32 am

Hey Tess.. I started NO S a while back didn't see those "instant" results and said "to heck with it" and went back to my old ways. (cutting carbs one day...counting points another and threw in some paleo eating for good measure.) I am now up an extra FIVE pounds. I am female...5.5 and weigh 169. I am ready to regroup and go back to this way of eating. I may not have lost any weight when I started this but I sure felt better. The weight loss will come. It HAS to. Because the way I am doing things now is just not right. It doesn't even feel right. We can do this~!!! Here's to turning things around.
-MM
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:39 am

Tess,
I started NoS again almost one month ago and after two weeks decided to not weigh myself for awhile. If you really believe that this is a lifestyle change then you have to take your eyes off the scale for awhile. The scale, at least for me, is the biggest culprit in sending me into negative self talk and whacky eating behaviors. If you came to NoS to stop the diet roller coaster, then stop the scale obsession as well. Take a break. Unless you are bingeing, how bad can it be to look away for a month? In the past, when I looked away it was because I knew I had been "bad" and was not ready to stop "being bad" so I lived in extended denial and bingeing until I was ready to burst and start the next diet. At least this time I am looking away knowing that my behaviors are not doing me any damage. It is just the opposite. And, for me, it is becoming a relief to pass by that scale each morning. If I perfect the habit, the weight will reflect that in time. My pattern has always been either gaining or losing. When I read the testimonials here I am so encouraged by people who say that they don't even think about food or their weight anymore. I want that more than I want to see a number on the scale. I want that peace and freedom and acceptance. So I am trusting the success stories and stopping my routine behavior: weighing daily and judging my life based upon that number. Looking for a new outcome using old behaviors makes no sense. I liked Broca's analogy to slowing down a car before you can turn it around. I will keep that in mind.
Good luck.
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

Goodcooker

Post by Goodcooker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Kitty---you are so right about the scale. I say we stay off it for a couple months.
One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.
-Lucille Ball

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:48 pm

So, Tess, would you rather lose half a pound a week and reach your goal in a little more than a year, or go on some quick weight loss diet and lose, then gain more, lose, then gain even more and so on and weigh even more in October, 2014?

Generally speaking, No-S doesn't lead to quick weight loss. There are some exceptions to that, but that's exactly what they are: exceptions.

I don't remember how long it took me to start losing, but I know that 7 years later I'm still losing. Not much, a little here, a little there, but it's still coming off and I don't feel like I'm "dieting."

I would also advise forgetting about the scale. I don't own one and weigh whenever I go to the doctor's office -- usually once a year. In the meantime, if my pants are getting a little snug, I cut back a little until they're not so snug. Easy-peasy,
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ktkitten417

Post by ktkitten417 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Avoiding the scale sounds like a stellar idea.

As a fellow newbie this post is very encouraging, thanks! And good luck to all.

Tess

Post by Tess » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 pm

I don't know why staying off the scale is so hard, but it is. I'm going to try to see if I can limit weigh-ins to once a month for now.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement! Go NoS!

EmilyGF

Post by EmilyGF » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:51 am

This probably isn't your problem, but...

Have you looked at the size of your plates?

A lot of plates people buy nowadays are really huge. The plates we inherited from Grandma are about 1" smaller in diameter than the plates we bought, and I chose the smallest dinner plate size in the store.

To put this in perspective, going from 9" plate to a 10" plate adds about 25% more area... pretty crazy. Grandma's were about 8".

Emily
Emily

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:03 am

EmilyGF wrote:This probably isn't your problem, but...

Have you looked at the size of your plates?

A lot of plates people buy nowadays are really huge. The plates we inherited from Grandma are about 1" smaller in diameter than the plates we bought, and I chose the smallest dinner plate size in the store.

To put this in perspective, going from 9" plate to a 10" plate adds about 25% more area... pretty crazy. Grandma's were about 8".

Emily
Something I meant to say above but forgot: slower weight loss tends to be more permanent weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race.

Many times new people do overfill their plates in order not to be hungry between meals. That could be part of your problem as could overly large plates.

I'm too cheap to consider buying new plates. My plates are about 10 1/2 inches in diameter, but there is a 2" raised border, leaving about 6 1/2" in the center. My food rarely goes beyond that border.

If you think either the size of your plate or the amount of food you put on the plate could be a problem, just put less food on the plate. Leave some open space. Plates don't need to be full.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

AndreaRN9

Post by AndreaRN9 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm a 49 year old female, No-S'ing since March (no fails). I lose about 1 lb. a month. That's right, a MONTH. I also exercise 5 days/week (cardio all five days, strength training added in on two of those days).

I would like to lose another 12 lbs. If it happens, great! If not, well at least I'm eating healthfully, moderately and sanely.

Trust the process and give it time. It's better to lose 10 lbs. a year, than it is to lose 10 lbs. in a month only to yo-yo back up, then down, then up, etc.

Nicest of the Damned

Post by Nicest of the Damned » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:54 pm

I didn't really start losing weight until I had been on No S for a year. I lost some weight at first, but it didn't really start coming off until later. Which makes sense- my habits were more solid after a year. This is NOT a quick weight loss diet. That doesn't mean it isn't effective- I've lost quite a bit of weight. But it is not fast.