breakfast ideas

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

musiclvr02

breakfast ideas

Post by musiclvr02 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 am

I'm looking for breakfast ideas for No S. Any ideas?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:02 am

My usual breakfast is oatmeal with raisins and almond or soy milk. Sometimes I will have a hard-boiled egg, too.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

la_loser

Check out the Intelligent Dietary Defaults thread

Post by la_loser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:19 am

Hi,
Some of my breakfasts are: (adding fresh fruit and coffee or juice)
Bacon, eggs and toast
Sausage breakfast burrito
pancakes and bacon
Yogurt and cereal (I like to mix it together instead of eating cereal with milk)
Oatmeal with fruit or raisins

What's that? Those sound like normal breakfast that normal people eat. Oh, yeah, that's exactly what is OK on No S. Gosh, I know it's hard, but this diet mentality that we have to do something different because it's a "diet"--not necessary! I love it. . . . that's why I talked about celebrating Independence Day on July 4--to celebrate my freedom from thinking like a S.A.D. (person (substance accounting diet) We have all thought that way for soooooo long, it's just hard to get over it.

On the other hand, once your HABITS are firmly in place, (remember--months in, perhaps) and you feel ready, you might try making sure you're making good choices for what you fill that first plate of your day. A lot of people have established what Reinhard calls Intelligent Dietary Defaults where people have contributed their "fall-back" ideas for easy simple and healthy ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Rein liked the thread so much he made it a sticky. Here's the link. . . probably time to bring it to the top of the Stickies!
I'll bet it gives you some good ideas if you aren't interested in regular old classic breakfast ideas -- even those are truly legal for us!

Intelligent Dietary Defaults thread: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1732
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

emmay

Post by emmay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:27 am

As LA-Loser pointed out, you can have whatever breakfast foods you enjoy, as long as they aren's sweets like muffins or donuts.
If you are looking for tasty breakfast ideas, one of my favourites at the moment is a bowl with plain, full cream greek yoghurt topped with toasted muesli(granola), nuts and chopped fruit (usually apple or pear and berries if available). You can also add seeds, coconut, cinnamon, honey, dried fruit etc. Yum.
Last edited by emmay on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

musiclvr02

Post by musiclvr02 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:40 am

Jammin' Jan wrote:My usual breakfast is oatmeal with raisins and almond or soy milk. Sometimes I will have a hard-boiled egg, too.

will that hold you till lunch??

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:17 am

No, it doesn't. That's why I do my mod, which is 2 ounces of cheese at 10 am. I have tried eating bigger breakfasts, but I am still getting hungry mid- morning, probably because I am doing a lot of physical (food handling) work in the morning and also all of my Urban Rangering.

musiclvr02

Post by musiclvr02 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Jamming Jan what is urban rangering and also what is a mod?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Urban Rangering is lots of outdoor walking. There is a page devoted to this on the No-S board.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=5

A mod is a modification to the basic No-S plan. Vanilla No-s is the plan as originally laid out. A mod is an individual adjustment.

Just for the record, mods are not encouraged and I am trying to get away from it.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2527

la_loser

mods and urban rangering explanation

Post by la_loser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Music Lover,

Mods--modifications that you might decide to make on the original 14 word diet-only after you have given it a good long time to get your habits established, usually after several months. People get impatient and don't let their bodies adjust to normalcy and often want to start making changes in the rules before they've had a chance to let it work.. There are threads that reference modifications all over this board but I would suggest learning more by listening to Reinhard's podcast - see main No S page to get the link for the podcasts or get them free from iTunes. I would urge everyone who is relatively new to No S or the other systems to listen to them. Reinhard is a calm voice of reason amidst the sea of all that actual diethead chatter we are exposed to in the media.

Also see the sticky at the top of this forum for mod ideas.

Urban Rangering-Reinhard's clever description of walking for exercise. There's a whole forum devoted to it as well as a podcast as well. Somehow venturing out to do some urban rangering sounds way cooler than "I'm going to go out for a little walk!"

To get really quick answers to questions like yours so you don't have to hope someone will answer you, you an always try to going to the SEARCH box at the top if you are curious about a term or phrase. Of course that will probably give you way more info than you have time to read. This board is so full of wonderful resources. . . in your "spare time" (yeah, I know, what's that!), try to read through a lot of of the threads; you will learn all kinds of stuff!

Hope this is going to be a nice place to retreat to for you!

la_loser

Post by la_loser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Jan,
I must have been composing my long-winded (typical of me!) when you were busy giving Music Lover a nice succinct answer! People who know me would not be surprised about my being a person of many words! :lol:

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:51 pm

LA: :D

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:21 pm

I absolutely love steel cut oats with a cut up apple cooked with it. Then stir in a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter. The result is creamy and healthy and satisfying and delicious. It will hold you and you will feel decadent eating it.
Yum!
:)
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 am

I've tried the peanut butter in my oatmeal and didn't really care for it, but I have some peanuts in a bag in the cupboard. I might shell some tomorrow morning and add them. Thanks for the idea!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:01 am

I do a fruit smoothie with protein powder or yogurt and fruit or toast with peanut butter. And two cups of coffee with half and half or sometimes a cup of coffee and then a cup of tea.

I've tried oatmeal with fruit and nuts. Repeatedly. I don't know what it is, but when I eat oatmeal I am ravenous by 10AM even if I add nuts or peanut butter.

Broca

Post by Broca » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:15 am

I have an English muffin with all natural peanut butter (I can't stand Jif anymore!) and a banana with a couple cups of coffee. It holds me until about 11. Then I start to feel hungry and look forward to lunch. If I get hungry too soon I'll drink some water.

I haven't been able to drop the Splenda in the coffee habit but I do find I never quite drink a whole cup. Which is a vast improvement to the 4-6 cups I used to drink!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:33 am

Oatmeal with raisins and nuts doesn't work for me, either. I'm always hungry and grumpy 2-3 hours later. :( that is not the case, when I have a higher protein breakfast.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 am

I'm not much of a breakfast eater. If I eat breakfast I usually have toast and fruit. If I happen to be extremely hungry, I'll add an egg or two. Occasionally I'll have granola and yogurt with fruit.

I've never been a big fan of oatmeal except in cookies and granola. But earlier this year I found this recipe and I love it. It's a little time consuming, but it's very good and it keeps me satisfied until the next meal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

little lion

Post by little lion » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:09 am

I like eggs with buttered toast, fruit, coffee, glass of milk.
Or grilled cheese with fruit, coffee, glass of water
plate of pancakes, fruit, milk, coffee
leftovers, fruit, coffee, water.
pretty much anything but i do try and get protien and a fruit in.
start date: July 16 start weight: 205
One year Anniversary weight: 169

earl7z

Post by earl7z » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:28 am

I've been toying with starting to eat breakfast again as part of Nos. I usually just eat Lunch and Dinner.

In the past, a good amount of fat and protein has kept me satisfied until lunch. For example one of my favorites is bacon and a cheese omelet. Try a few dashes of cinnamon on your eggs!
All you can do is all you can do.

Food doesn't make you fat. Too much food makes you fat.

May

Post by May » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:56 am

Can't go wrong with eggs. Hard-boiled, soft-boiled, scrambled, poached, over-easy, fried, omelet, sunny-side up, etc...

A piece of toast or some sort of starch to give me energy in the morning. If I feel like something sweet then I will put peanut butter and jam on the toast. If not, then just butter.

And coffee. Can't think clearly without it in the morning. I used to drink 6 cups in university but now cut down to 2-3 a day. Really miss Tim Hortons' coffee...

ahen23

My idea of a good healthy breakfast

Post by ahen23 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:46 am

My idea of a good healthy breakfast:

Peanut Butter Waffle
Spread two tablespoons of peanut butter on a whole-grain or bran toaster waffle in syrup. You can also sprinkle some raisins, sesame seeds, or extra peanuts for even more fiber.

Apple-Walnut Pancakes with Brown Sugar Yogurt
Add 1 tablespoon of chopped walnuts to 1/4 cup whole-grain pancake mix. Combine half cup low-fat plain yogurt with 2 teaspoons of brown sugar. Top pancakes with yogurt mixture and half cup of chopped apple.
I am a health conscious mother of two. Having tried general motors diet and 21 days diet plan, I am now looking for new ideas and tips to stay healthy.