For Brits: BBC series on diet industry, starts Thur 8.8.13

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Too solid flesh

For Brits: BBC series on diet industry, starts Thur 8.8.13

Post by Too solid flesh » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:02 am

This may be of interest to British NoS-ers (and others, if it is shown on eg BBC America). 9 pm, BBC2, starting on Thursday 8 August.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03863jg

And for once, it doesn't matter whether I put the date in British (day, month, year) or American (month, day, year) order. Take your pick.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:29 am

Sounds interesting, but I wonder if it's all going to be about programs and plans.

It worries me that so many people think they have to be following a program or plan to eat well, lose weight and be healthy.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks for mentioning this. I saw it advertised yesterday evening and set the Sky + to record it.
I've just watched the video clip on the link where he challenges the author of a strict diet book, it looks promising so far.
Best quote in the clip "the more diets we undertake, the fatter we're getting"
Will watch with interest tomorrow.
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

Rea

Post by Rea » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:24 pm

ooh will they have this online somewhere viewable in the US? I hate it when I hear about great shows the BBC is making and then try to watch them online and it says "Too bad! You're in the wrong country! HAHAHAHA" :(
I tried a proxy once but it didn't allow video :(

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:13 pm

I thought the first episode was brilliant! Thank you so much for recommending it - I wouldn't have noticed it without you pointing it out here.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:49 pm

:D Hi Guys,
Here's a link showing videos of the first program.

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=888
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:27 am

Thanks for the link, BrightAngel.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:52 am

If you are unable to open this link, I was able to watch the entire show on YouTube. It was well worth the time.
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm very much enjoying the series.

First episode was perfectly timed for me, because I too was getting my 'diet head' back on. Every time I get the diet head on I start to binge AGAIN and it takes me several months to get back to some kind of normal.

Good to see that our fellow No S'ers overseas are able to watch also. :D
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

Dale

Post by Dale » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:24 pm

I almost missed this too, so thanks! I've watched the first episode and although there was probably nothing that we don't already know, it was pretty good. Knowing all this stuff was what made me put off dieting for so long, to be honest. I'm still nervous about it now and worry about maintenance. I actually thought the WeightWatchers lady had a fair point about obesity being a chronic condition (rather than something that is "cured"). I'm aware that now I've started dieting I'm going to have to keep it up for life, and that is quite daunting.

Rea

Post by Rea » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:48 am

It was interesting to watch it and tic off the number of things they mentioned that people do that led to the obesity epidemic that they didn't used to and see how they jive with No S.
*Snacking: "in between meals used to be known as a dead time to the food industry until they started inventing new times to eat"
*Sweets: "they made it more acceptable and made new excuses for parents to give their kids a treat more often
*seconds: people won't go up for seconds because of shame of being seen as gluttons (!) so we increase portion size so they don't have to. Hooray!

It's like a 3 episode confirmation that we just need to get back to traditional eating habits and the fat will melt away!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Dale wrote:I I'm aware that now I've started dieting I'm going to have to keep it up for life, and that is quite daunting.
Eventually, with No S you should get to the place where you don't feel like you are dieting. It just becomes the way you eat. I'm 49 now. When I think about being 59, 69, 79, or - God willing - 89 I'm perfectly content to think I will still be eating No S style.

Broca

Post by Broca » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:42 am

I watched this on utube and then watched The Men Who Made Us Fat and I thought that was really interesting! The idea that snacking is just a marketing gimmick is amazing! Be sure to watch both series(if you haven't already)!

Graham

Post by Graham » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm part way through episode 2 on BBC iPlayer and I got so annoyed I wanted to write it down. An ex executive of Pepsico was saying how the whole "exercise to get slim" thing is a myth we subscribe to, but that we shy away from the "hard thing" of real dietary change to lose weight long term.

What is so annoying me is this: it sounds like this guy is blaming us, his customers, for our failure to be slim, because we won't make the effort required to be slim. But wait a minute: go back a couple of generations when obesity was far rarer: were our grandparents doing some "hard thing" to be as slim as they were? Not that I ever heard. If they did, mine never mentioned it.

We haven't undergone some genetic change in the last 3 generations, we haven't developed some moral or dietary weakness our forebears didn't have: it is our environment, our food environment, that has been changed, and that environment has made us into people who struggle to be slim.

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Graham wrote:I'm part way through episode 2 on BBC iPlayer and I got so annoyed I wanted to write it down. An ex executive of Pepsico was saying how the whole "exercise to get slim" thing is a myth we subscribe to, but that we shy away from the "hard thing" of real dietary change to lose weight long term.

What is so annoying me is this: it sounds like this guy is blaming us, his customers, for our failure to be slim, because we won't make the effort required to be slim.
That's rather disingenuous of the exec when he worked at a company that engineers foods and drinks specifically to increase consumption. Have you read Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss? It's a fascinating and disturbing look at the business of junk food.
Last edited by GraceW on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:48 pm

All the more reason for us to adhere to No S and be the best representatives we can.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Rea

Post by Rea » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:55 pm

oh man I just realized there were two different documentaries: the Men Who Made Us Thin and the Men Who Made Us Fat. I watched episode one of Thin and then the other two of Fat. I wondered why when I went back and rewatched it all, the first episode wasn't the same...now I got it.
My comment above refers to the Fat documentary :)

Broca

Post by Broca » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:15 am

Rea, you're so right though! All three tenants of No S were addressed. Some day the world will catch on and Reinhard will be famous!

When you think about it, it's amazing to me that EVERYBODY has bought onto the idea that the FOOD industry is the one that will save us all from obesity! How crazy is that???? The solution? Special food, but still we are eating MORE special food!! It is so illogical and yet they're making billions! It boggles the mind.....

Rea

Post by Rea » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Just finished watching all of the Thin documentary. It made me decide to give up diet soda. I'll still eat things with xylitol because that's a more natural artificial sweetener, but I'm pretty sure that aspartame isn't doing me any favors. So hey it's having an impact!

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:51 am

Hi all, you also might want to check out the first 3-parter called "The Men Who Made Us Fat" about the food industry, marketing, and so forth. Unfortunately, I currently only find links to illegal streaming services but hopefully you guys find a way :D
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:39 pm

:P There's a USA link to watch the BBC 'made us Fat' series
at the bottom of this link to "The Men Who Made Us THIN"
Summer of 2013

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=888

It is my intention ...
once all 4 episodes of "The Men Who Made Us Thin" are posted on YouTube...
to also copy ALL 4 of them to the Link above.
That way we can easily watch them all at one place.
:D

Here's a USA link directly to "The Men Who Made Us FAT"
Summer of 2012

http://www.diethobby.com/blog.php?ax=v&nid=889

BTW ... FYI
It is legal to COPY on your own website, ANY video that is posted on YouTube.
DietHobby is my own Personal Website.

The BBC ultimately posts all of their programs on YouTube as well,
and it seems to only object to "copyright violations" by independent video makers
AFTER they've posted their program on YouTube themselves.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:37 am

Hi BrightAngel,

Many thanks for the link and also the claryfication about posting links on one's own website. I had no idea.
:D
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016