Rejoining & hopeful!!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Rejoining & hopeful!!!

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi I tried NoS a couple of years ago but was frustrated by my lack of weight loss even though I stuck to it carefully for 2 months. Maybe my s days were too wild or maybe I just needed to give it more time.

What I do remember is how much peace it gave me in regards to food & my body image. I've been dieting since I was 10 and I swear I've spent more hours obsessing over food than I care to admit.

I tried countless non-diet techniques too because at some point you just want to feel sane, but those made me just as crazy. What's the point of having "freedom" with food if it's still making you miserable? This diet is the only thing that magically lifts that cloud of despair.

Since I know when & how much I'll be eating it really takes away the food obsessing and since I have proof that I'm not overeating most of the time it really helps with self-esteem issues. I love that I still have freedom to choose *what* I want on my plate. I love to cook and tend to eat pretty balanced anyway (just way too much!) so this works for me.

Also I have two daughters and want them to eat normally. I had a mother who was always on a diet and we had a lot of food limitations along with no set meal times. Yikes! This set me up for some crazy eating habits. Clearly she did her best. Being a single mom had to be tough! But I'm trying to do things differently. My daughters think diets are crazy and we have regular balanced meals.

Anyway that was much longer than I intended but I've basically decided that even if I don't lose a single pound, the pay-off of NoS is worth it. Btw, I don't weigh myself (too depressing!) but I'd love to lose about 50 lbs.

Linda
Last edited by lpearlmom on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

jw

Post by jw » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Welcome, Lpearlmom! It sounds like our goals are similar, both in how much we would ideally like to lose and in wanting to find a sane way of eating. No-S gives just enough structure and not too much -- I wish you the best!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:02 am

Thank you JW!! I really appreciate the warm welcome.

Best of luck to you too!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Welcome back!

I say try it again with no mods for at least the two months again. Then you can experiment with more of your plates filled with freggies, or smaller plates, or whatever.

Give it a year! Then even if you decide you need to be more drastic, you'll have a lot more discipline under your belt. It's always easier to get tougher later than to start too tough and have to deal with the fallout.

If you're keeping to you N days, and working on taming S days, you can hold your head high. More than that has not been shown to be any more successful in the long run.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Thank you oolala for your welcome.

I definitely am keeping it vanilla NoS because anything more than that will make me rebel! I don't get the whole calorie counting thing along with NoS. maybe it's just me but doesn't that defeat the whole point of keeping it simple & sane?

But I guess that's because I'm more motivated to have sanity than to lose weight although I potentially have a lot to lose as I'm 70 lbs up from my high school weight. I'm in my forties so I'd settle for 1/2 thT weight gone.

Anyway I think my heads in the right place to give it another go. Thanks again & best luck to you. :)

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi there. Good luck with it all. I am on the same journey. Starting again but determined to stay vanilla and make the habit stick.
You can do it!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi tessytwinkle!

Thank you. I haven't weighed myself in awhile but am probably around 200 lbs & 40-50 lbs weight loss would be great (I'm short!).

Will be great to have the support of people going similar experiences.

Best of luck!

Linda

musiclvr02

Re: Rejoining & hopeful!!!

Post by musiclvr02 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:41 am

Lpearlmom wrote:Hi I tried NoS a couple of years ago but was frustrated by my lack of weight loss even though I stuck to it carefully for 2 months. Maybe my s days were too wild or maybe I just needed to give it more time.

What I do remember is how much peace it gave me in regards to food & my body image. I've been dieting since I was 10 and I swear I've spent more hours obsessing over food than I care to admit.

I tried countless non-diet techniques too because at some point you just want to feel sane, but those made me just as crazy. What's the point of having "freedom" with food if it's still making you miserable? This diet is the only thing that magically lifts that cloud of despair.

Since I know when & how much I'll be eating it really takes away the food obsessing and since I have proof that I'm not overeating most of the time it really helps with self-esteem issues. I love that I still have freedom to choose *what* I want on my plate. I love to cook and tend to eat pretty balanced anyway (just way too much!) so this works for me.

Also I have two daughters and want them to eat normally. I had a mother who was always on a diet and we had a lot of food limitations along with no set meal times. Yikes! This set me up for some crazy eating habits. Clearly she did her best. Being a single mom had to be tough! But I'm trying to do things differently. My daughters think diets are crazy and we have regular balanced meals.

Anyway that was much longer than I intended but I've basically decided that even if I don't lose a single pound, the pay-off of NoS is worth it. Btw, I don't weigh myself (too depressing!) but I'd love to lose about 50 lbs.

Linda
Hi Linda,
Describe a "wild" S day. It's worth developing healthier patterns of eating.
Weigh yourself no more than once a month, try to anyways. It's weird how skinny people are paranoid about any weight gain. I know people on FB show all these photos of themselves. I mean really?

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:49 am

Hi musiclvr02

By wild I mean out of control. By all means I am trying to develop healthier eating habits in terms of eating in a way that I emotionally & physically satisfying.

I've been at this diet thing for 30+ years & know that weighing myself right now would not be helpful. When/if I start to drop sizes I will think about jumping on the scale but really if I feel good & comfortable in my body why does a number matter?

Linda :-)