Hello - introduction

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Coffeegal

Hello - introduction

Post by Coffeegal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:04 pm

I'm a newbie to the forum, but not so much to the diet as I'm in my 11th week of vanilla No-S. Dh prefers IF, but he's decided the family could use a few No-S style changes as well. We stopped allowing the children to bake cookies, brownies, or other treats during the week. It certainly helps me avoid sugar! :lol: The only child who regularly snacks is our active 15yo son. He periodically raids the kitchen, lol. I'll give the younger children a glass of milk if they get hungry in the afternoon. That's usually enough to keep them happy.

While I haven't lost as much weight as I hoped, it's amazing how much better I feel during the week. I used to have a problem with low-blood sugar and worried No-S would aggravate it. Instead it solved the issue. Weight loss issues aside, I have no intention of doing any other diet now. :D

My biggest issues are the weekends as I tend to binge, and a terror that if I slip up I'll go back to my old habits. The terror is keeping me strict with the diet though. :wink: How long does it take for the weekend binging to come under control? I'm not desperate for sweets on Friday like I was at the beginning, but Saturdays are still.... horrible.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Welcome and congratulations on your weight loss!

How long it takes to get S days under control varies widely. In some cases it's a year or more. I wouldn't worry about it. The big challenge is getting the habits down on N days.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Coffeegal

Post by Coffeegal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Thanks! Not touching the S days seems counter-intuitive, but I'll take your advice and leave them alone. I'm happy with my N-days. It's interesting. I took the kids to a cupcake shop on a Tuesday, bought the kids cupcakes, and didn't have the slightest urge to indulge. But come Saturday and I'm indulging in every treat about the house. :shock: A year though... huh... the next habit I want to develop is 10,000 steps a day. I'll work on that instead of worrying about S days. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Some of us have found a way to limit what we eat on S days. It's not really a modification. We can eat all we want of whatever we want -- as long as we make it ourselves OR buy the best quality of whatever it is you want.

By the way, I love your name. It should have been mine! LOL
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:19 am

Making my own "junk" food would be a modification in my book.

I binged for a loooong time. I didn't like the way I felt and resented the fact that the desire to overeat didn't really go away, but I couldn't stand the idea of curtailing myself, either. I finally got tired enough of it all that I started holding out sometimes, purposely waiting longer between eating events on weekends. I weaned myself off it. (I also lost weight every year, though not every month.)

At 11 weeks in, I wouldn't PLAN for less food, but looking back on it, I wouldn't be afraid of deciding ON an S day, if I felt really full, not to eat just because I could or because it occurred to me.

Anyway, it sounds like you are building good habits, and it's wonderful that the low blood sugar problem has abated. I think you'll do well as time goes on.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Coffeegal

Post by Coffeegal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:44 pm

wosnes wrote:Some of us have found a way to limit what we eat on S days. It's not really a modification. We can eat all we want of whatever we want -- as long as we make it ourselves OR buy the best quality of whatever it is you want.

By the way, I love your name. It should have been mine! LOL
Another coffee lover! Nice to meet you. :) Ooo I love that modification. If Saturdays don't settle down in after a year, I'll see about adding it. :D

Coffeegal

Post by Coffeegal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:58 pm

oolala53 wrote:Making my own "junk" food would be a modification in my book.

I binged for a loooong time. I didn't like the way I felt and resented the fact that the desire to overeat didn't really go away, but I couldn't stand the idea of curtailing myself, either. I finally got tired enough of it all that I started holding out sometimes, purposely waiting longer between eating events on weekends. I weaned myself off it. (I also lost weight every year, though not every month.)

At 11 weeks in, I wouldn't PLAN for less food, but looking back on it, I wouldn't be afraid of deciding ON an S day, if I felt really full, not to eat just because I could or because it occurred to me.

Anyway, it sounds like you are building good habits, and it's wonderful that the low blood sugar problem has abated. I think you'll do well as time goes on.
Thank you for the advice. You're giving me the strong impression that 11 weeks is too short of a time period to tell what the S-days will be long-term. :D I'll wait until I've been doing this a year before considering any modifications. :)

StaceyH

Post by StaceyH » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:47 am

Hi Coffeegal,
It is nice to meet you. How great to meet another homeschooler on here! :D
I have a 16 year old boy who loves to make treats too. I have been getting some great recipes for him to do on S days. My littles ask me everyday now if it is an S day or not. Gotta love em, they know when the goodies happen!
Best for you and your NoS journey. I love that this is just sensible. School takes up enough time and energy, isn't it nice not to have to learn a whole new way to eat too?
Have a great day,
Stacey

musiclvr02

Post by musiclvr02 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:57 pm

StaceyH wrote:Hi Coffeegal,
I have a 16 year old boy who loves to make treats too. I have been getting some great recipes for him to do on S days. My littles ask me everyday now if it is an S day or not. Gotta love em, they know when the goodies happen!
Best for you and your NoS journey. I love that this is just sensible. School takes up enough time and energy, isn't it nice not to have to learn a whole new way to eat too?
Have a great day,
Stacey
Hi Stacey,

My 9th grade daughter is home schooled as well.

Coffeegal

Post by Coffeegal » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:00 pm

StaceyH wrote:Hi Coffeegal,
Have a great day,
Stacey
It's a relief not to have to learn a new way to eat, or to struggle with counting calories or points. :D

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:06 am

Hi, coffeegal, how are you doing? :). I, like Wosnes, love your name! And I also homeschool. Just wondering how things are going and curious if your s days are calming down.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Coffeegal

Post by Coffeegal » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:57 am

Hi! Cool, there's a bunch of us homeschoolers here. How long have you been on No-S?

My S days are finally calming down, but it's taking quite a while. Thank you for asking.