Another Newbie and a quick question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

StaceyH

Another Newbie and a quick question

Post by StaceyH » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi there,
I am a 42 year old homeschooling mom of 4. I am 5'1" and started out weighing about 153. I am down to 145 after about 3 weeks to a month of No S. :D I do suspect a lot of it was water weight and the loss will slow down. (the last week, I don't think much of anything has come off) No biggie, I am just happy to be eating the way I feel like I am supposed to without having to learn a whole new way of eating and cooking. At first I was thinking of going paleo but as I researched it, I felt defeated because it was so different from what I am used to and I know my limitations. :shock: I knew I could never keep it up. Thank goodness I ran across the No S diet on a homeschool forum and checked it out!
So, I am loving the No S diet for all the reasons you all do, it is just sanity and gives me a boundary within which I can live and feel comfortable with my eating without being obsessive about food or feeling fat.
I do have a question.
I keep seeing "vanilla No S" and I just wonder what that means. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it!
Thanks,
Stacey

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Welcome and congratulations on your success so far.

Vanilla No-S means No-S without any modifications: No snacks, no sweets, no seconds, except on S days.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

StaceyH

Post by StaceyH » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:44 pm

That is kind of what I thought, I just wanted to be sure. :)
I guess that is pretty much what I am doing although I am trying to cut down on potatoes, rice and pasta which had become staples for every dinner.
I am also thinking of trying TTapp. Has anyone else used that? It seems pretty sensible and simple too.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:53 pm

StaceyH wrote:
I guess that is pretty much what I am doing although I am trying to cut down on potatoes, rice and pasta which had become staples for every dinner.
I think they should be staples of every meal -- along with bread!!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

StaceyH

Post by StaceyH » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:08 pm

wosnes wrote:
StaceyH wrote:
REALLY?! Or are you being silly? :shock:

Coffeegal

Post by Coffeegal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi Stacy, I'm a newbie here also, and a 41 yo homeschooling mom of 6. Congratulations on your weight loss! :D

jw

Post by jw » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:34 pm

"REALLY?! Or are you being silly? :shock:"

Welcome! Like me, you must be coming off a low carb regimen of some kind! I know, when I first started No-S, I was very, very careful about potatoes, noodles, bread, etc. because those were the foods to avoid if you wanted to lose weight, according to all my past diet wisdom.

I have happily added them back into my diet over the last 6 weeks -- because in the end I couldn't do completely without them and the whole point is to develop an eating style that we can live with long term!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

emmay

Post by emmay » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Almost all my meals include a starchy carbohydrate, along with a source protein and fat and fibrous vegetables or fruit. It's how most meals in traditional cuisines are structured. There is nothing wrong with eating rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, oats, legumes etc as long as they are balanced with other foods.
Instead of trying to eliminate starchy carbs from my meals, I focus on increasing the proportion of colourful vegetables so they take up at least as much room on the plate as the starch and protein put together.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:48 pm

StaceyH wrote:
wosnes wrote:
StaceyH wrote:
REALLY?! Or are you being silly? :shock:
Really. I have a starch at nearly every meal. It's a rare meal that doesn't include a starch of some kind. Usually it's bread, but meals usually also include potatoes, corn, or pasta. The starchy vegetables appear more often than other grains, even pasta.

Rice, oats, barley (usually in soup) and quinoa make less frequent appearances. If you include them as starches, beans appear frequently, also in soups.

I definitely don't say "oh, I'm having (name of starch) so I don't need (name of another starch)." In fact, tonight's meal includes bread, corn, and potatoes (and other stuff).

I have a nearly 20 year old article from Prevention magazine called "How in the World to Stay Slim." They looked at the eating habits of people in 9 different countries throughout the world. One of the points in the summary is that "grains star on their plates."
While we tend to make meat or cheese the centerpiece of our meals, healthier cuisines mandate that the largest serving on the plate be a filling, low-fat grain or starch -- for example, it's rice in Asia, potatoes in Sweden, bread in Europe or corn flour in Mexico.

In most of the countries it's two or three starches that form the basis of their meals.

In the conclusion they did state that world obesity was on the rise.
As societies get richer, people become more sedentary. They eat more calories, more meat and more American style fast food. American fast food combined with a sedentary lifestyle is making the citizens of the world fat.

musiclvr02

Post by musiclvr02 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:23 am

oh there's nothing like GOOD bread!! I like fresh bagels with lunchmeat and cheese for breakfast sometimes.

StaceyH

Post by StaceyH » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:27 am

Wow.

I can totally see the point of having a "diet" I can live with forever. That makes total sense.

So, really truly, in the long haul, not overeating at meals, not eating snacks and staying away from sugar on the N days, will be enough to lose weight. I guess I have been brainwashed by the low carb stuff. I will have to get my head around this more. It will be such a relief because I lost like 70% of my base meals!

You have all made me a happy woman. :D
Thank you all who gave information! This forum is very cool. 8)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:31 pm

StaceyH wrote:

So, really truly, in the long haul, not overeating at meals, not eating snacks and staying away from sugar on the N days, will be enough to lose weight.
Almost...it's not staying away from sugar, it's staying away from sweets.

StaceyH

Post by StaceyH » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Good point! Sweets.

earl7z

Post by earl7z » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:35 pm

StaceyH wrote: I guess I have been brainwashed by the low carb stuff. I will have to get my head around this more.
I'm in the same boat. The low carb stuff is "eat only this and you can eat as much as you want" which just didn't work out for me.
All you can do is all you can do.

Food doesn't make you fat. Too much food makes you fat.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 am

The French are being encouraged to eat more bread. Currently, they only eat half a baguette daily -- down from a baguette daily just 40 years ago.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Whenever someone talks about how bad carbs are for you (and honestly, I do eat a lot less of them than I did years ago), all I can think of are the Italians and French. The French start the day with bread. I think they don't have meals with no starch, though they don't load up on anything, it seems. The Italians often start the day with what we would call a sweet, and have bread at lunch and dinner, even if there's pasta. Do they have rampant health problems? Or the inflammation problems the Paleo people talk about? I don't know.

I'm pretty sure the French government has been pretty good at clamping down on cigarette smoking because of the health costs. I imagine they'd be aware of anything else costing them inordinately. But I guess it would take a lot to get them to clamp down on bread!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:10 pm

oolala53 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the French government has been pretty good at clamping down on cigarette smoking because of the health costs. I imagine they'd be aware of anything else costing them inordinately. But I guess it would take a lot to get them to clamp down on bread!
Somewhere I just read about a family going to France and some other European countries (they went this summer). They mentioned the high rate of smoking. I think that was their only complaint about traveling in Europe.