"No seconds" rule interpretation

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Imogen Morley

"No seconds" rule interpretation

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:16 am

Something that struck me just yesterday, when I was reaching over and over again for yet another piece of cake... Why not employ that rule at all times?
I always overdo on sweets when I'm attending parties or other celebratory events where multiple, pre-cut slices of cake are served. I'm also an avid baker, and trying out new recipes is my hobby. Although much of what I bake is distributed among family/coworkers/neighbours, I'm still able to polish off 1/4 of the brownie pan in one sitting. So what if I apply "no seconds" rule to everything I eat, including desserts, all the time? That would mean having a cup of Earl Grey and a piece of cake/serving of ice cream after one of my meals, eating with gusto, and stopping at that. Or at least waiting until the next meal to have some more. Eating three servings of dessert is much better than having six or eight, so I'm aiming at progress, not perfection. I hope I can make that a habit!
What are your interpretations of "no seconds"?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:34 am

My interpretation of "no seconds" was just that -- one serving of whatever was being served. By the time I realized that my interpretation was different from Reinhard's intention, what I was doing was working and I couldn't see a reason to change it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

noni

Post by noni » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 pm

wosnes wrote:My interpretation of "no seconds" was just that -- one serving of whatever was being served. By the time I realized that my interpretation was different from Reinhard's intention, what I was doing was working and I couldn't see a reason to change it.
wosnes, did misinterpreting his N-day rules end up giving you more than one plate? What about sweets?

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Are you talking about having sweets anyday of the week with meals or just on meals during Saturday and Sunday?

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm not doing vanilla anymore, nor continuing No S as a plan for weight loss, so I'm talking about virtually any occasion during which desserts are served. I don't take S days, rather, let's say S-events when opportunity presents itself.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:42 pm

noni wrote:
wosnes wrote:My interpretation of "no seconds" was just that -- one serving of whatever was being served. By the time I realized that my interpretation was different from Reinhard's intention, what I was doing was working and I couldn't see a reason to change it.
wosnes, did misinterpreting his N-day rules end up giving you more than one plate? What about sweets?
If a meal is served in courses or on more than one plate (or bowl), that's what I eat. Usually at home I stick to one plate, but will sometimes put salad on another plate. If I put the salad on a separate plate, that portion of the dinner plate is either filled with more vegetables or fruit or left empty. I never virtual plate, but I do watch portion sizes.

If I'm eating at someone's home and they serve dessert, I eat it. If I go out to eat I usually pass on dessert because so many of them are over-the-top decadent and I don't enjoy those, though I might share one.

At home I might have dessert and I might not. If I have fruit that needs to be used I'll make a cobbler or something and not worry if it's an S day. My desserts at home are pretty simple. Since I'm a single, I don't make any desserts that have to be made in a 9x13 pan unless I'm taking it somewhere. If I really like something, I find a way to cut it down to a smaller size. If I can't cut it down to a smaller size, I don't make it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Allowing for a free-for-all on S's on S days is not meant to imply it's supposed to stay like that. If it doesn't come naturally to a person to limit herselfs, she can institute a mod. It's not usually suggested in the first six months, but if you're not doing it out of fear or panic, it sounds like a reasonable mod. But I'd still limit sweets to S days.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)